Kicking CD burners

At the moment I am kicking myself cause I just kicked my CD burner! :o

To be more specific I caught the extended tray with my knee when spinning round in my chair. Now the tray won’t go in our out, just makes a grinding noise like whatever pulled it in and out has been derailed or destroyed.

So I’m wondering if anyone has done this, and if so, how much you paid or were quoted to get it fixed (or if you tried yourself)

The drive is a plextor 161040A , not super expensive nowadays, which is why I’m thinking it might be cheaper to get another. Seems a waste, though.

Any thoughts welcome, thanks

get a new drive. keep the old one though in case you feek like kicking something :bigsmile:

I would suggest replacing the drive. I would reccomend a 48x LiteON from www.newegg.com

more detail, I would suggest the LTR-48126S from http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&manufactory=1336&catalog=5&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1

You should also be able to flash the drive to 52x24x52x with a software program called mtkflash, but the last number in the model has to be a 6, not a 5 for that to work.

Originally posted by monrat I caught the extended tray with my knee when spinning round in my chair.[/B]

Hahaha you make me laugh. Maybe next time you should push the chair away, then start spinning

I wouldn’t get a new burner just because of the tray. A tray is typically gear driven, and when you caught one side of the tray with your knee you probably derailed the gear on that side. The grinding noise could be the gear trying to engage.

It may be easily fixable. Remove the case cover and take a look at the tray gears. My guess is that unless something was broken (but I doubt it), you may be able to realign the tray mechanism to its proper working condition. In the worst case, you may be able to get a replacement part from Plextor at a reasonable cost.

Originally posted by Inertia
[B]I wouldn’t get a new burner just because of the tray. A tray is typically gear driven, and when you caught one side of the tray with your knee you probably derailed the gear on that side. The grinding noise could be the gear trying to engage.

It may be easily fixable. Remove the case cover and take a look at the tray gears. My guess is that unless something was broken (but I doubt it), you may be able to realign the tray mechanism to its proper working condition. In the worst case, you may be able to get a replacement part from Plextor at a reasonable cost. [/B]

It very well may be fixable, just be extremely careful when you take the drive apart. Work somewhere where you can’t easily loose screws and other tiny part, also make careful note of what goes where. Take your time and the problem might become obvious and easily fixable. It’s pretty hard to brake those gears, so I doubt you damaged anything, more likely you just knocked something out of alignment. Look at it this way: It ain’t gettin aby broker! :slight_smile:

Totally agree with Inertia… you’ve got nothing to lose eh?

:smiley: Thanks Inertia!

I got the drive fixed… took me about 15 minutes… the tray had hopped out of it’s guide rails on one side, so it was just a question of unscrewing enough bits to allow me to move it back into place!!

Thanks for all the advice!

monrat (spinning less in his chair now!):wink: