Khypermedia (Cyberdrive/BenQ) 8X or Pacific Digital (Lite-on)

vbimport

Guys: Which drive to keep?

Khypermedia (Cyberdrive/BenQ) 8X +R/+RW or Pacific Digital (Lite-on 811/851) 8X Dual format drives. Both are the same price.

The plus for Khypermedia (Cyberdrive) 8X +R/+RW is that it’s got 8 mb buffer. It also allow a 4x +R disk to be burned at 8x speed. Yes, it burns a 4x +R disk in about 8 min (RICOHJPNR01 disk).

I think the Cyberdrive and BenQ drives are almost the same except that BenQ will allow a firmware upgrade to make it a dual format drive. Anyone know if the BenQ drive will allow a 4x +R disk to be burned at 8x speed?

Also, where can I get a BenQ drive in Southern California or on Internet?

The Pacific Digital is a dual format drive (a Lite-on 811/851 I think) 8X Dual format drive. I think it only has 2 mb buffer? Can this drive burn a 4x +R disk at 8x speed? Anyone knows?

I think all 3 drives has decent reviews at the firmware website (I think). I have plenty of RICOHJPNR01 4x +R disks & +R disk seems to be compatible w/ my two dvd players, although a dual format would nice in the long run (I guess). Both drives are the same price. One has a bigger buffer one is dual format.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

I was just reading some reviews & it seems only RICOHJPNR01 (4x) disk will be burned at 8x in the Cyberdrive. Don’t know if it will be burned 8x in a BenQ or a Lite-on drive. I have tried the same disk in a Micro-Advantage drive, but it only allowed 4x.

Cyberdrive and BenQ are not the same but they are both based on the same Philips Nexperia chipsets.
Personally I would get the BenQ if you can find one because it has showed very good burning quality in tests even on 4x media burned at 8x. According to this page it supports 8x write speed on the following 4x media with the latest firmware:
. Maxell
. Ritek (Ritek M02)
. Daxon (DAXON AZ1)
. CMC (CMC MAG F01)
. Prodisc (PRODISC R02)
. Ritek (RITEK R02)
. MKM (MCC 002)
. Ricoh (RICOHJPN R01)
. TY (YDEN000 T01- 00)
. TY- (YDEN000 T01- 01)
It also supports bitsetting and BenQ seems to be pretty good at updating the firmware.

I have one of the Cyberdrives and would difinitely recommend it. I have made no coasters with it after ~25 burns, all RICOHJPN R01 @8X. It can burn a full DVD in under 8 minutes.

Not to burst anyones bubbles or offend anyone, but just to set the record straight, RICOHJPNR01 media will burn at 8x in just about any 8x burner, if not all. It is rated at 8x by Nero CD/DVD info program, as well as many others. In the future, as firware gets updated, I would suspect that many other 4x discs will be upgraded to 8x.

greetz
Kid185

Originally posted by kid185
[B]Not to burst anyones bubbles or offend anyone, but just to set the record straight, RICOHJPNR01 media will burn at 8x in just about any 8x burner, if not all. It is rated at 8x by Nero CD/DVD info program, as well as many others. In the future, as firware gets updated, I would suspect that many other 4x discs will be upgraded to 8x.

greetz
Kid185 [/B]

I tried to burn the RICOHJPNR01 media in a Micro Advantage 8 x dual drive (I believe it’s a BTC) & it only allowed 4x under Nero.

So, anyone have any preference over another? Where can I find a BenQ drive in Southern Calif or on the Internet?

I have nothing but good things to say about my BenQ drive. I feel that if your going to burn dvd+r disc, you should have a drive that bitsets to dvd-rom. I have run into a couple of players that wont play dvd+r disc that are not set that way.

My Lite-on is still pulling its weight though. Bitsetting with this drive is also possible. If they can only get their write quality a little better I would be a happy camper.

My previous experience with cyberdrive was not very good. Problems with firmware, and tech support was nonexistant.
Bad experience overall. All my liteOns have given me excellent results
:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

nmpaulcp, was your bad experience from the DVD writer or CD writer?

Originally posted by KTL

Originally posted by KTL

It was the CD writer. If you look throught my previous posts ( if they are still logged) you will see what I mean. I was so pi$$ed that I just wouldn’t buy another. The Cyberdrive DVD burner might burn fine but service and support , firmware etc… are important to me. I have had nothing but nice burns with Liteon. even my old 48125w still rocks after 2+ yrs and I don’t know how many burns!:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I have both the Benq 800A and the Liteon 811S. I amusing the BENQ Exclusively now as I have had the Liteon crapping out on Memorex 4X (Ricoh) discs about 2/3 of the way while burning at 8X. The Benq burns them at 8X without a single problem. The Benq also has an 8mb cache as opposed to the Liteon’s 2mb. The bitsetting program for the Benq keeps the drive writing a DVD+R as DVD-ROM without having to run the program each time you restart the computer. The Liteon’s bitsetting program has to be run each time you restart the computer. I have never successfully burned an 8X blank on the Liteon while the Benq burns 8X blanks flawlessly. You can get the Benq at Zipzoomfly.com (formerly googlegear.com) with free shipping. Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

Check out the C’t scans/quality rating and the BenQ is your best bet. On Kypermedia if its made in Malaysia its BenQ and can be firmware flashed by BenQ if its made in China its Cyperdrive. OfficeMAx has Kypermedia for $110-40 MIR = $70 till 3/5.

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13405