Kenw, Question for you

vbimport

Hi Ken,

I noticed that most of your Kprobe scans are absolutely brilliant.

Do you mind telling us what is your system config (cpu, mainboard, PSU etc) and what software do you use for writing.

Thx in advance…

sure why not

nero 6.3.0.3

WinXP Pro SP1 / intel D845BGL / P4_2.4a 512k L2 Northwood
1GB DDR / Maxtor 20GB HDD / ATI Radeon 9600 128mb / Audigy2
Pioneer DVR-107D/Liteon LDW-401s@811s

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name HORSE-LORD
System Manufacturer D845PT
System Model PT84510A
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~2392 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. PT84510A.86A.0030.P08.0301300054, 1/30/2003
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\System32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = “5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)”
Time Zone Pacific Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 736.04 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.90 GB
Available Virtual Memory 2.46 GB
Page File Space 1.90 GB
Page File D:\pagefile.sys

Thanks Ken,

I was hoping that something in your configuration would tell us why some get really,really great Krpobe scans while others get those horrible scans.

My system is an AMD xp2000+ in an NForce2 board. Maybe I should try out my liteon in an Intel rig?

What the wattage specs of your powersupply?

Just for the heck of it, have you tried using default Microsoft IDE drivers instead of the Nforce ones?

No one has ever really demonstrated any differences in error scans with different hardware setups. Kprobe doesn’t know what kind of hardware you have, except for needing a few CPU cycles, it’s indifferent to everything but the reading drive.
Same is true for IDE drivers, ASPI versions, etc. They either work or don’t, most times.

It’s the luck of the draw, you either get a good optical drive or you don’t. But way too much is being made of error rates.

Androlight

pws in my system is 350watt or 400watt its been while since i looked i just bought a new case as the power button on the case plastic broke and i could not replace it, I think i got the 400watt in the new case but im to lazy to open it and look so it could be 350watt

Ssseth is right Nforce has been know not to work well with IDE UDMA on burners.

Also part of my good luck is im Zebra mod beta tester and not using v4 but not released and if jitter doesnt get back soon never to be released v5-6 beta.

this beta takes the v4 mod and edits the cal data for 6x reducing its level so you dont see that hill on the 6x area, it also changes the way the laser bias level is done im my 401s@811s im using test eeprom_Y, i have been lead to understand that this eeprom has the laser bias set to high. At any rate eeprom_Y of the v5-6 beta test set for me with HSOK firmware, works wonders.

Btw I just want to state for the record that I dont have the patch for the v5-6 Z mod’ed the eeproms and emailed them to the tester with no patch because he didnt want any leaks till we knew if the laser bias would fry a drive, so far almost 4 weeks with v5-6 beta, not fried yet.

My take on HSOP its got bugs, and it acts funny on some drives on mine it gives much higher error level on all dvd burns. It also seems to make noises on reboot. I dont know about you but if f/w makes more noise on reboot and sometimes while reading, i tend to want to leave it alone.

Yes. The Nforce drivers are “defective” so I always use the ms drivers.

All my media scans high in errors. They all play great in every player I’ve tried, though. I’m unsure if there is anything wrong with these discs.

The only type of media that scans well (great actually) are rewritables. :confused:

I tried 30+ brands of media.
I’ve tried all (and I mean ALL) firmwares available.
I tried the zebra mod.
I tried different writing speed.
I’ve tried using it as master on it’s own cable
I’ve tried another IDE cable (80 wires ofcourse)
I’ve tried cooling the drive.
I’ve tried writing a disc while the drive was outside the PC (to avoid mechanical disturbances)
I’ve tried win2000 and winxp
I’ve tried unplugging every peice of hardware that was’nt absolutely necessary.
I’ve even tried writing a disc with DMA disabled just to see if this would help.
But still poor Kprobe scans.

Ooops, no requests for EEPROM allowed.
Please read this.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
It’s the luck of the draw, you either get a good optical drive or you don’t.

But why do I get nice scans on RW discs then? If the laser is’nt calibrated then all disc should scan bad, right?

This is a scan of an old and somewhat scratched ricoh RW disc:

Androlight

My dvd-r scans are not good on the 811s, just my dvd+R

btw check your PM i have given you the irc chat room address for the offical Z mod chat room

This may sound stupid to you lot but how do you get to use microsoft IDE drivers and not Nvidia?

Could anyone please tell me how to do it thanks.

Ffor those of you who have problem with burning at 8x, did you check how stable and parallel to ground your drive is? Did you get a buzzy sound coming from your case during burning ? (buzzing = vibrating)

Originally posted by simplelife
Ffor those of you who have problem with burning at 8x, did you check how stable and parallel to ground your drive is? Did you get a buzzy sound coming from your case during burning ? (buzzing = vibrating)

Thats a good point. Unfortunately my drives are in an antec case that are slid into position for easy access and removal. Maybe thats the problem with all my bad burns. I guess it might be time to put the drive into an external box and do some testing.

Originally posted by metalguru
[B]This may sound stupid to you lot but how do you get to use microsoft IDE drivers and not Nvidia?

Could anyone please tell me how to do it thanks. [/B]

Go into Device Manager> Expand IDE Controllers> Go to properties> Uninstall primary and secondary channels one at a time> Reboot.

The default ones should be installed. Sometimes it might automatically select the Nforce ones. If that happnes:

Device Manager> Expand IDE Controllers> Go to properties> Click Update driver> Pick standard ones

@ KenW

[of topic]

BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. PT84510A.86A.0030.P08.0301300054, 1/30/2003

What about an BIOS upgrade…:bigsmile:
[/of topic]

that was last bios update they released that board has not had support updates in about 6 months

Hmm…

Thats real BAD. :confused:

Lite-On releases new FWs for our drives EVERY month… :bigsmile:

BTW, any news when next Z-mod will be released?

Originally posted by pinto2
[B]Hmm…

Thats real BAD. :confused:

Lite-On releases new FWs for our drives EVERY month… :bigsmile:

BTW, any news when next Z-mod will be released? [/B]

I’ve heard it will be released when it’s ready.
[/smart alek mode]

:stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by Ssseth
I’ve heard it will be released when it’s ready. [/smart alek mode]
:stuck_out_tongue:

Hmm…

“alek” or “aleck”?..

He he. :cool: I read a post some days ago, and one guy asked a simple question ending with; “no smart-ass answers please”.
I never answered that post…

Don´t take it wrong :bigsmile: