Kcwarre@netzero.net

vbimport

Hi !!! I’m trying to finde out if my Gateway solo 5300 notebook will support a single 512mb Ram modual in one sodmm slot…
Please Advise…
Thanks for your help in this matter…
KCZ2:rolleyes:

Welcome to the forum KCZ2- no it will not work with one 512 in one slot- the max for your rig is 2 256 pc100 sodium sticks- do not use pc133 because you will receive a system error. Hope this helps.

The only way to truley know this is to try it. Som manuals for such older hardware were never updated because of concentration on new models released. In some cases a single 512mb chip can work and sometimes it can only be in combinations of 2x256 mods. Further, using the min FSB for memory clock is also important but you can most of the time get away with higher clicked memory such as when PC100 is recommneded you can easily get away with PC133 it will just downclock itself.

The best way is to search for what the motherboard controller chipset can handle from that mfg (ie: intel).

[QUOTE=xtacydima;2182848]The only way to truley know this is to try it. Som manuals for such older hardware were never updated because of concentration on new models released. In some cases a single 512mb chip can work and sometimes it can only be in combinations of 2x256 mods. Further, using the min FSB for memory clock is also important but you can most of the time get away with higher clicked memory such as when PC100 is recommneded you can easily get away with PC133 it will just downclock itself.

The best way is to search for what the motherboard controller chipset can handle from that mfg (ie: intel).[/QUOTE]

Having first hand knowledge of this laptop my first post is correct, it will not support 1x512 nor will it support anything but pc 100 memory. pc 133 will not work it will not be downclocked.

0 MB on-board memory expandable to 512 MB
Two SO-DIMM slots
SO-DIMM sockets accept 8-, 16-, 32-, 64-, 128-, and 256-MB SDRAM modules in any combination.
Use only PC100 memory modules.
Note: If PC133 memory is used, windows protection errors will occur.

[quote=~Jethro~;2182863]Having first hand knowledge of this laptop my first post is correct, it will not support 1x512 nor will it support anything but pc 100 memory. pc 133 will not work it will not be downclocked.

0 MB on-board memory expandable to 512 MB
Two SO-DIMM slots
SO-DIMM sockets accept 8-, 16-, 32-, 64-, 128-, and 256-MB SDRAM modules in any combination.
Use only PC100 memory modules.
Note: If PC133 memory is used, windows protection errors will occur.[/quote]

OK, I feel you are offeded somehow but I don’t see why because I never said anything about your post, some or all of it might be correct, hence why I advised to check for the systemboard controller for a truley accurate description of what the systemboard can read up to. I myself have had such a problem many a time with every laptop I owned, be it IMB or Dell, the manuals always stated the max available memory to be used lesser than what the chipset can actually see. Heck, sometimes they wouldn’t even give important details such as the board only being able to read single sided vs double sided ram mods but thats an altogrther diff story.

No not offended at all-just hate to see him spend money on something that will not work.
Also this laptop will take both single and double sided ram.

Alright I figured why guess on this and actually looked up the specs since I had some extra spare time.

What I found is that this laptop uses the Intel 440MX chipset and can see a max of 512MB RAM via (2x256) only, and can be up to 133mhz single sided or double sided type memory.

Thanks for all your help…This solved my problem…
kcz2…out