Katrina, New Orleans, and the October 2004 National Geographic

vbimport

Did anyone read the October 2004 issue of the National Geographic, and notably, its article on the Louisiana wetlands and what would happen in the hypothetical event that a category 5 storm makes a direct hit? (partial article @ NG) In the article, it called the chances of this happening “slight”, though it acknowledged that it was only a matter of time before New Orleans’ luck ran out and it got hit. When I read that article last year, I never imagined at the time that in the hurricane season immediately after the article publication, there would be a cat. 5 storm on course for a direct hit…

Eeriely ironic, huh?

I saw a Discovery on it last month. Now I am just waiting to see the water (sorry ;))
In the program they said water could rise over 2 meters in the city. Thats surreal.
New Atlantis?

New Orleans is 1.8m below sea-level right?

That will be one big swimming pool. :eek:

Yeah being undersea level just a lil bit of rain makes that place flood…looks like Feb Marti Gras… is not gonna be the same…

here it comes/goes…

http://weather.unisys.com/satellite/sat_ir_enh_us_loop-12.html

my god… :eek:

yep from 9 pm to 6 am… Katrina will be parting at the SS’s house…it will still be a Cat 1 or Cat 2…hurricane…
conditions here are as follows
light rain…
banks closed…
no gas available…and will not be for the next 2 weeks!!
it went to 3.00 a gal…at 3 pm

so i guess its a lil more serious than most around here thought…

I just got home from work and my wife was telling me that part of the Superdome roof got torn off. I hope everyone is ok there. That is there emergency shelter over there. I hope you are ok up there SS. Keep us posted.

well its just 8 pm and the worst should be here…in about an hour…the county in which i live is under a 10 pm curfew…there are already many trees down…and the power is out all over…the rains are coming down and not letting up…looks like within the hour i’ll be without power as well…soooo if i’ve got power i’ll let ya’ll know whats happening here in Northeast mississippi…

I just heard on the news: 55 death. :eek:

Been without TV for about four weeks, gotta read some news on the web.

whoo hooo i’m back!! we had power out for over 12 hours…they finally got it back on…I’ve been out since daybreak raking my yard…its a sea of little limbs…and a few big ones…but all in all…we faired great in my little neighborhood…not so great in most close by…

Yo S_S-

VERY happy to hear that - must say that the Big Guy was worried (could just see those precious thongs floating down the Mississippi-eh!!)

It didnt look like too much was happening when the storm hit yesterday I thought but today I see lots of water on the news.

http://www.wlbt.com/

Click the picture showing “skycopter 3” for streaming video (half an hour) of “not much happening”.

When an evacuation notices goes out, it is wise to heed the warning.
I can’t believe the people that just stayed put… :eek:

Crazy! :eek:

Here is what is making it alot worse. The stucture that is built around the city and to protect the city is not holding up which is causing more of a headace. I was listening to the radio on the ride hoome from work and they were saying that there were 900 or so that were rescued over night. :eek:

Now if they were floating down the river I am sure BM would have come and retrieved them all for you SS. not saying you would get them all back.

Just messing with you BM :wink:

Exactly. While the vast majority did heed the warning, a significant number did not. The fact that there have been many deaths and there are on the order of thousands of people still stranded in New Orleans (most of whom tell the reporters that they regret not evacuating–so nice of them to admit that after putting themselves in danger and using up more of the already strained emergency resources) is disappointing. For those who did not have the funds to leave the city (gas costs, hotel costs, etc.), they were given the option to evacuate to the Superdome and other shelters nearby, but they opted not to. Voluntary evacuation orders were issued for the entire region (this is including Mississippi) on Friday, and on Sunday, they were elevated to mandatory, so they had the entire weekend to do so. As harsh as this may sound, I think that anyone who dies as a result of the storm died because of their own stubbornness and neglect, and are thus eligible for the Darwin Award. When you live in a city that is mostly at or below sea level, it’s just a matter of common sense.

Heard about poor people but never actually met one, eh?

If you couldn’t afford to leave NOLA, it was Superdome or ride it out at home. And right now there are 10,000+ inside, it’s 100F and dark inside the dome, and the toilets aren’t working either. More arriving by the hour.

More linky goodness:

“Some” water:

http://img274.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1125380695760original10008617t.jpg

Leadership in action:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/050830/480/capm10208301856

“It must be legal,” she said. “The police are here taking stuff, too.”

http://www.infoshop.org/inews/article.php?story=20050830150050234