K9Copy: shrink DVD's in Linux

Hello,

First of all I want to make some things clear. If I’m posting this in the wrong forum, sorry then. I don’t know the structure of the CD Freaks forum like I used to. Secondly, I’m not trying to spam, but would just like to give some information. Nor would I like to start a discussion about Windows vs Linux.

Ok, here we go. Several times I’ve read questions on this forum regarding the availability of a DVD-9 to DVD-5 program for Linux. Since this topic is of great interest for me, I’ve followed the developments in this region for over a year now. Since a couple of weeks I can finally say I’ve found a real alternative for ‘DVD Shrink’ (though, I must stress, without much less options). This program is called K9Copy and uses the vamps-engine for transcoding. It is the first Linux-program that does exactly what I want it to do: transcode a DVD-9 to DVD-5, with audiotrack(s) and subtitle(s). There also is an option to copy the original menus, but since I do not need this, I have not tested this feature. The program is very intuitive and easy to use imho.

I hope I’ve helped some people with this information. Greetings to all of you.

Thank you dansmug, I will try it when I get time.

How is quality? Is it comparable to CloneDVD quality?

Excellent news.

Now we just need a ripper for Linux that will beat something other than CSS. :frowning:

@dewd2: I’ve not tried CloneDVD for a long time, but the vamps engine really does a good job. I guess you’ll have to test it yourself :slight_smile:

Isn’t the new Shrinkto5 supposed to run under Linux?

That was the original plan I believe. It doesn’t look like anyone is coding for Linux. It appears to be Windows only.

I finally got around to trying K9Copy. I backed up the movie “Benchwarmers”. I was able to fit it on a DVD5 disc without shrinking it. I will try another larger movie later.

The interface is a bit confusing at first, but it only took a few minutes to figure it out. It is no more confusing than DVD Shrink was the first time I used it. I was able to copy only the movie, the AC3 5 channel sound track, and the Engish subtitles. I also kept the menu. I copied and burned the movie in about 10 minutes. I watched the movie on home DVD player - it was perfect.

I am using version 1.04. There is a new beta that supports the coping of movies with bad sectors.

Later when I have more time I will take some screen shots.

I successfully backed up V for Vendetta (region 1 widescreen) with K9Copy 1.04 this weekend. The compression was about 70 to 80 percent (hard to tell since there is only a visual indicator). I watched the movie on my bigscreen and I am astounded. The quality was near perfect. It was nearly impossible to tell the difference between the original and the copy.

Here are a few screenshots of the program.

Main Screen:

Copy Process:

I updated to the latest beta version. I will try it sometime this week.

does it remove protections? and does it do a good job at that

The beta did not work well on my SUSE box. I had to revert back to the previous release. The newest one has more protection removal built in, but I couldn’t tell you how it works. I have not had time to play in the past few weeks.

All I can say is try it (and report your results for all to see).

Used the beta, gets around alot of stuff including the ACross

Using k9copy (Using KDE 3.5.5) with Ubuntu Edgy. Crashes everytime when almost done with DVD.
:frowning:

Hi Dansmug:
Very interesting stuff here. Glad to see you back posting again. Please keep us updated.:clap:

This thread is almost 2 years old, I have no idea if this program is even being devoloped anymore. :doh:

I believe that it is still being developed.

It makes sense to reply to this thread (I think) since K9Copy is not something many folks use.

Unfortunately all my other hobbies have not left much time to work with Linux and K9Copy. I haven’t done anything in months and, even so, couldn’t really help with that distro. Perhaps a post on an Ubunto forum would be more helpful.

Posted BY dewd

K9Copy is not something many folks use.

This is true.:confused:

Its working fine in PCLinuxOS, even the latest movies :wink:

You could always try DVD Rebuilder. Have a read of this thread on how to get it to work with linux.

Although it does not remove protections, it does a much better job at compressing than any other program.

I used K9Copy in SUSE 10.0 recently and it worked fine as long as “Keep original menu’s” is checked (DVD Author errors when it’s not checked). It can still do the main movie only like this, but it’s not as clean as re-authoring with DVD Shrink (and since that works in Wine…).

Tonight I did a main movie only backup [I]without[/I] keeping the original dvd menus. SuSE 10.0 is at end of life for updates meanwhile and I was looking for individual package updates. Found one for K9Copy, installed and tested: same problem, unchecking “Keep original menus” threw up the error about DVDAuthor. Then checked for a DVDAuthor update (both are from Packman) and bingo.

Looking at the homepage and sourceforge, K9Copy is being actively developed. There’s many new features and improvements, like MPEG-4 encoding (using MEncoder) and integration with K3b for burning (both of which I have yet to try).

This is the automatic sequence for a main movie backup without menu’s (1.26 compression rate, result looks good):