JVC/TY Ceramic or Premium Grade?

vbimport

I am thinking to buy some JVC/TY DVD+R 16x media while they are still available and I am trying to decide between Ceramic (white) spindles of 50 and Premium Grade (Gold) spindles of 100. I know that both are YUDEN000T03 but does anyone know if there is a difference in quality?

In theory there should be no difference in quality based on the top surface but rather will be due to typical batch variation.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

I have little experience with TY media but I tried some DVD-R and I was not really impressed with the quality scans. What should I expect from DVD+R?

Maybe scans like you see from 2012 onward: http://club.myce.com/f76/taiyo-yuden-dvd-r-75920/index16.html

You see a lot of variance, but ultimately they’re OK. Not as pristine as some of the old stock, but still very acceptable scans.

…That said, you probably won’t see scans better than that. I think Verbatim media is as variable. Maybe FTI’s media (whether it be Verbatim media made by FTI, or other brands using FTI’s discs) will scan better, if you care only about the scans being pristine.

The only FTI I have seen are Verbatim DVD-R 16x printable media and I generally avoid DVD-R as they usually don’t scan as good as DVD+R.

They also do DVD+R, but if you can’t find them, it’s not worth it.

[QUOTE=Albert;2783443]They also do DVD+R, but if you can’t find them, it’s not worth it.[/QUOTE]

Should I expect Verbatim DVD-R made in UAE to be any better than media made in Taiwan?

I buy from the local Verbatim distributor and can choose country of manufacture if in stock and also return them if needed.

I will have to mail order JVC/TY media from overseas and they will be more expensive and difficult to return.

I am not sure if I should bother with JVC/TY or stick to Verbatim.

[QUOTE=kyrcy;2783508]Should I expect Verbatim DVD-R made in UAE to be any better than media made in Taiwan?[/QUOTE]

Generally, yes.

After seeing a lot of variation in Verbatim media recently I am thinking again about getting some JVC/TY DVD+R 16x Gold media while they are still available. Should I expect more consistent quality from these? I checked the scans in the forum, but there are not many recent ones to come to conclusions.

No, it’ll probably be equally variable. As Two Degrees said a while back, it’s pretty much down to batch variation, and the top surface alone doesn’t guarantee the quality of the rest of the disc.

Of course, going premium should ensure that the overall variation is lower than most other manufacturers, but going for high-grade Verbatim would result in a similar quality range.

What is “high-grade” Verbatim these days (among AZO media I mean)?

[QUOTE=kyrcy;2786718]What is “high-grade” Verbatim these days (among AZO media I mean)?[/QUOTE]
Good question. I haven’t noticed any difference in quality between the retail/consumer Azo media and the “pro” DataLifePlus stuff.

Really? Hmm.

Well, I guess things are different from 2006/2007.

[QUOTE=Albert;2786725]Really? Hmm.

Well, I guess things are different from 2006/2007.[/QUOTE]

I didn’t see any difference back then, either :disagree:

As a quick test, I burned four pieces of MCC 03RG20 made in Taiwan by CMC in different years (2005, 2006, 2015, 2016) using a Pioneer A09XLC. One disc is DataLifePlus, the others from retail “consumer grade” spindles. I scanned them on a BenQ DW1620 purposely to exaggerate the PIE/PIF somewhat. Can you tell which is which?

[QUOTE=Two Degrees;2786743]As a quick test, I burned four pieces of MCC 03RG20 made in Taiwan by CMC in different years (2005, 2006, 2015, 2016) using a Pioneer A09XLC. One disc is DataLifePlus, the others from retail “consumer grade” spindles. I scanned them on a BenQ DW1620 purposely to exaggerate the PIE/PIF somewhat. Can you tell which is which?[/QUOTE]

It’s difficult to say but out of curiosity I bought a 50 pack spindle of DataLifePlus DVD-R (#43744) to try. Verbatim claims “66.7% tighter specifications than standard discs” in their Storage and Accessories Product Catalogue for 2016.

[QUOTE=Two Degrees;2786743]As a quick test, I burned four pieces of MCC 03RG20 made in Taiwan by CMC in different years (2005, 2006, 2015, 2016) using a Pioneer A09XLC. One disc is DataLifePlus, the others from retail “consumer grade” spindles. I scanned them on a BenQ DW1620 purposely to exaggerate the PIE/PIF somewhat. Can you tell which is which?[/QUOTE]
Nope. Can’t tell at all. Though, to be fair, I can’t say BenQ drives are happy with Pioneer burns in general, so they might all seem equally mediocre, haha.

[QUOTE=kyrcy;2786819]It’s difficult to say but out of curiosity I bought a 50 pack spindle of DataLifePlus DVD-R (#43744) to try. Verbatim claims “66.7% tighter specifications than standard discs” in their Storage and Accessories Product Catalogue for 2016.[/QUOTE]
So I guess that means that fewer of them are guaranteed to be outright bad, not that they’re guaranteed to scan amazingly.

Given the variation of Verbatim media lately, I am wondering again if it would be a good idea to buy a few spindles of JVC (TY) DVD+R 16x media while they are still available, even if they are more expensive and more difficult to obtain. Has anyone purchased any of these lately (and not old stock) and can comment about their quality?

If you can find a source with guaranteed JVC/TY media, I would go for it. However, I would definitely verify before-hand. Some sellers are substituting CMC Pro (“Powered by TY”) media for JVC orders. I had that experience recently.

Also, unless you specifically need the 16x +R media, I’ve always found the 8x +R media to burn better.

These are JVC “Premium Grade” Made in Japan media. I received a spindle and I will order a few more while they are still available. I agree that 8x media burn better, but these are almost impossible to find at reasonable prices. Verbatim offers some “Archival” 8x media, but at a much higher price.