JVC TY 16x DVD-R PrintPlus BOGO @MediaMegaMall

vbimport

I got this link/coupon from MediaMegaMall today:
http://www.mediamegamall.com/printplus-dvdr-waterresistant-white-inkjet-print-100pk-jdmrwppsb16ws2-p-26783.html

Add two of the 100-disc spindles to the cart, then use the code FREEDVDS to get two for the price of one.

I wonder of these are premium-grade like the old ones, as opposed to the new ones in the fancy packaging, that seem more like value-line or worse.

[QUOTE=negritude;2491599]I wonder of these are premium-grade like the old ones, as opposed to the new ones in the fancy packaging, that seem more like value-line or worse.[/QUOTE]

I was just wondering the same thing myself it doesn’t look like the new packaging or
the old TY packaging either as a matter of fact well not to me any way. The only 100
packs of TY I’ve ever bought was in tape wrap so I’m not sure what a 100 pack looks
like other than the ones in tape wrap. :confused:

That is a very tempting deal though. :iagree: :clap:

I got the BOGO deal from Media Supply, a Taiyo Yuden distributor out of Pennsylvania who I have bought from several times.

The spindle of 100 disks come in the customary Taiyi Yuden cases. The There is a similar but JVC branded paper disk on top of the disks. The external plastic wrapping is typical TY format but JVC is prominently displayed and their are a couple of new phrases:

[ul]
[li]Joint Venture of Taiyo Yuden Co., Ltd. and Victor Company of Japan, Limited
[/li][li]for Professional Use
[/li][/ul]
The label sates Made In Japan (excellent!)

I purchased the JVC PrintPlus White Inkjet Hub Printable TYG03 DVD-R 16X (JDMRWPPSB16-WS2) and the similar deal with the JVC PrintPlus Branded Taiyo Yuden White Inkjet Hub Printable CD-r’s (JCDRWPPSB-WS2).

The deal appears to still be in effect.

I was anticipating premium line TY’s with JVC’s semi-gloss printable coating. Nothing I could find via Google suggested Value Line (or worse!). I have not tested the CD-R’s yet, but I am testing the DVD-R TYG03.

Examining the disk with a magnifying glass, the DVD-r has 3 different alphanumerics like other TY disks:

[ul]
[li]KK 925C401058GH
[/li][li]GH008018
[/li][li]0114
[/li][/ul]

The printable surface, advertised as “semi-glossy”, is more glossy than the typical matte surface of non-Watershield printable TY’s but much less glossy than a Watershield disk. The PrintPlus coating appears mottled or orange-peeled. There is a slight ring or railroad track less than a millimeter in diameter at or very near the outer circumference of the coating. There is a slight ring towards the inner ring that corresponds to the outermost edge of the hub area on the data side of the disk - my TY T02 white inkjet hub printable 8X DVD+R’s and CD-R Watershields also have an inner ring similar to this too. Compared to my T02 DVD+R and CD-R Watershield coatings, the JVC PrintPlus coating is more opaque in appearance over the inner hub areas, ie is more homogenous white color throughout the disk. There is some translucency to the coating like the printable TY’s ringing along the clear innermost hub area next to the spindle hole.

The data side looks perfect, without blemish.

I am using a sony Optiarc AD-7240S (firmware 1.02 and 1.03) with Nero CD-DVD Speed v.4.7.7.16 for creating data disks, and then using a BenQ DW-1640 BSRB with Nero for the Transfer Rate Test and Disk Quality test.

Testing results have been extremely dissappointing so far at burn speeds of 4X (only one using firmware v.1.03 so far), 8X, 12X and 16X. I also tested it with the BenQ, mine has never being good with DVD-R, and the results were horrible too.

I have used burned Verbatim MCC 03RG20 DVD-R 16X Hub Printable and TY TG03 (silver lacquer and printable too IIRC) with the Optiarc firmware v.1.02 with good-decent results 4 months ago. My Optiarc burns DVD+R silver lacquer superbly and DVD+R silver inkjet very well. So I knew that DVD-R’s would not perform with 20K PIE’s and 200 PIF’s or less as the silver lacquer, but I didn’t expect [B]10 times worse PIF’s[/B] at burn speeds of 12X and 16X.

On the bright side, TRT and Jitter are good to excellent.

Will be doing a few more tests and then publish pics in the Optiarc forum. Don’t know if Optiarc firmware v.1.03 is going to make a difference. I have read where some have reverted back to v.1.02 but not sure why they did that.

Maybe my Optiarc doesn’t like these disks. Maybe I got a bad spindle of the DVD-R. The one 8X burn I’ve done so far was similar when compared to other DVD-R printable media I’ve burned, but the faster burned speeds are absolutely horrible so far. I don’t mind burning at 8X but it’s a waste of money to buy the x16, burn at 8X, and still get worse PIE’s and PIF’s than with DVD+R T02 8X burned at 8X. Same amount of time but worse results all for a higher cost.

Lastly, I haven’t printed on the PrintPlus disk yet. If I’m returning this lot of disks I thought I’d still try printing on one disk for curiousity sake.

Try using the BenQ with BSLB firmware for both burning and scanning and see if the results are similar.

[QUOTE=negritude;2491610]Try using the BenQ with BSLB firmware for both burning and scanning and see if the results are similar.[/QUOTE]
Is the BSLB firmware best for DVD-R TYG03?

I know you’re one of the experts here, and I don’t mind flashing, but want to know why you suggested it.

My current Benq 1640 seems like the laser isn’t what it used to be. Probably dirty like the film I cleaned off my Plextor 716A this past summer when it had trouble reading disks - brought it back to life. Bought the Optiarc as my burner base on the review here and others burn results.

While my Optiarc burns better than my Benq currently, the Benq was a better burner in its day. Now I only use the Benq for CD-DVD Speed scans and a couple of DVD+RW’s. All other burning is done by the Optiarc, and my DVD players (Philips) load disks faster. (Benq laser not spec any more?)

[QUOTE=bulletx;2491615]Is the BSLB firmware best for DVD-R TYG03?

I know you’re one of the experts here, and I don’t mind flashing, but want to know why you suggested it.[/QUOTE]

For scanning, BSLB is best. There are no scanning anomalies or speed dips and scanning stops that occur with other firmwares.

For burning, BSLB is kind of a reference point that many people find to burn the best and most consistently, especially with DVD+R media.

So, I think it’s always best to start with BSLB and use that until it fails to deliver. BSRB is best if you plan to burn a lot of DL media, and it can be better with DVD-R media, but like I said, I wanted you go back to BSLB to see if that makes any difference in the results you’re getting.

BSLB is the best all-around firmware and the one that’s most trusted (both for scanning and burning), so seeing what the results are like with that is important, even if BSRB might be better in certain situations.

Good thing I found my BSLB file on a harddrive since all I could find on the net was the Dangerous Brothers rpc1 file.

Will flash and then burn and scan a CD-DVD Speed disk. Will post back.

Thanks, negritude.

Flashed the Benq 1640 from BSRB to BSLB using BQFlasher and BSLB.exe. Rebooted and then used CD-DVD Speed to Creat Disk at 8X with the Benq. the following images are from the initial burn/scan with firmware BSRB and the subsequent burn/scan with firmware BSLB. All other parameters were constant.

Of note, Create disk took 12 seconds LESS with BSLB while Jitter was better with BSRB. PIE’s and PIF’s were significantly lower with BSLB.

First the BSRB images…

Now the BSLB images…

Opinions, comments, suggestions?

You could try using Qsuite and under solid burn click on “Clean button”. Also try Clicking Non activated for both known and unknown media. Then click on set. I have gotton sometimes better results. Hope this helps…

[QUOTE=bulletx;2491609]Testing results have been extremely dissappointing so far at burn speeds of 4X (only one using firmware v.1.03 so far), 8X, 12X and 16X. I also tested it with the BenQ, mine has never being good with DVD-R, and the results were horrible too. [/QUOTE]

I haven’t had a drive yet that really handled DVD-R’s well on a regular basis (no matter the brand or speed). I don’t think I’ve bought any -R disks in quite a few years. Right now my favorites are the Verbatim MIT 16x MIT +R’s in the 25 packs. that many of us here bought quite a few of from Office Max awhile ago.

I’ve read several posts now claiming the JVC TY -R’s scan poorly. Are there JVC TY +R’s, and if so, how are they scanning?

Are the TY 8x +R Silver Lacquer’s sold by Rima still high quality?

[QUOTE=bulletx;2491640]Opinions, comments, suggestions?[/QUOTE]

1. Save your images in PNG format in the future. JPG is too big and doesn’t resize correctly.

2. All BenQ firmware can be found here: ftp://mx02.benq-eu.com/dvd-rw/firmware/

3. Your results with BSLB are a lot better. Now try another burn with your Optiarc.

[QUOTE=WiltonParmenter;2491751]I haven’t had a drive yet that really handled DVD-R’s well on a regular basis (no matter the brand or speed). I don’t think I’ve bought any -R disks in quite a few years. Right now my favorites are the Verbatim MIT 16x MIT +R’s in the 25 packs. that many of us here bought quite a few of from Office Max awhile ago.

I’ve read several posts now claiming the JVC TY -R’s scan poorly. Are there JVC TY +R’s, and if so, how are they scanning?

Are the TY 8x +R Silver Lacquer’s sold by Rima still high quality?

http://www.rima.com/prod/1733-100.html[/QUOTE]

Or you can get them here with free shipping… http://www.supermediastore.com/category/u/blank-recordable-dvd-plus-r-disc-discs-media?filter=&brand=TAIYO+YUDEN&price=

[QUOTE=WiltonParmenter;2491751]I haven’t had a drive yet that really handled DVD-R’s well on a regular basis (no matter the brand or speed). I don’t think I’ve bought any -R disks in quite a few year[U][/U].[/QUOTE]

Try these, they’re great:

http://www.supermediastore.com/product/u/fti-falcon-media-pro-shiny-sliver-hub-printable-16x-dvd-r-100-pack

http://www.supermediastore.com/product/u/fti-falcon-media-pro-shiny-sliver-hub-printable-8x-dvd-r-100-pack

Also try some of the new Verbatim 16x DVD-R that is Made in the UAE (United Arab Emirates).

[QUOTE=negritude;2491772]1. Save your images in PNG format in the future. JPG is too big and doesn’t resize correctly.[/QUOTE]

They are in PNG format.

1. All BenQ firmware can be found here: ftp://mx02.benq-eu.com/dvd-rw/firmware/

Thank you.

1. Your results with BSLB are a lot better. Now try another burn with your Optiarc.

Yes it was better. Thanks for the advice.

I have burned more Nero CD-DVD Speed “Create Disks” with the Optiarc since my last post. The first one, as 8X burn, was crap, but the next one at 16X was comparable to the (best) Benq BSLB 8X burn. Unfortunately when I then burned a disk with actual files on the Opti at 16X, the results worsened a bit with the PIF’s - a big block of around 2000 PIF’s in a row - though it could mean an imperfectly pressed disk from the factory. Another disk burned with actual files at 16X in the Opti was worse than the preceeding one in all categories - 297898 PIE’s max 68, 6903 PIF’s max 9 including 3 thick bunches, and Jitter 9.76% average and 12.1% maximum.

Still, both “real” data disks did play in my Philips DVD player as expected with excellent load/initialization time (time when disk spins up in the player before it plays).

So… the question is whether this is as good as it gets. Or, are these disks sub-par and a different production run would burn better and/or with consistently similar quality. Obviously, mine are not consistent nor high quality error rates. Another question is whether these disks will last several years with all the errors.

I have printed on two of the disks now with my Canon MP830. One disk was plain black text. The appeance was quite good, a bit more vibrant and better saturation than the text on the Taiyo Yuden Silver Inkjet which can have very tiny dots within or irregularities to the text. (I am satisfied with the Silver Inkjets for text.) I couldn’t find an example of plain text on other printable disk types, so I couldn’t make a comparison to the JVC PrintPlus. I’m sure I have some, but just couldn’t find them (easily enough!).

The other JVC PrintPlus disk I printed a label that I had a TY T02 White Inkjet Hub Printable DVD+R to compare with. The color reproduction appears similar to the matte T02 disk, but is brighter/lighter. There was a small area with bronzing on the T02 but was little if any on the PrintPlus disk. Since the disk was just printed, maybe these things will change after it is fully dry.

The PrintPlus is definately a “semi-gloss” surface. It is more pleasing to my eye (I love the glossy Watershield disks) than the matte surface of most other TY printable disks. Unfortunately, the mottling or orange shell coating is distracting when the disk is tilted and light shines off the disk allowing you to see the heterogenous coated surface. At times this surface reminds me of microscopic grains of sand in bunches distributed across the surface, and at other times, like a disrupted giant fingerprint imprinted on the surface. I don’t notice much when looking straight on at the disk, only when the disk is tilted. I just checked the JVC PrintPlus CD-R’s I bought at the same time and the same surface heterogeneity is present.

The tiny groove or track that rings the outermost portion of the coating is noticable if you look for it but is very minor. I wonder if this is an artifact of how the coating is applied or a problem of friction between stacked disks. This ring is not found on other brands or MIDs of printable disks that I’ve used. Just checked and it IS found on the JVC PrintPlus CD-Rs as well.

A minor correction in my label template will need to be made for complete printing coverage as compared to full hub printing for a TY T02 disk - about 0.1 - 0.2 mm more needed for the outer ring and about 0.7 - 0.8 mm increase for the inner hub area. (Verbatim printable DVD’s also have more printable area compared to the T02’s)

In conclusion, I like the semi-glossy appearance very much but not so much the imperfections in the coating. Since both the PrintPlus DVD-R’s and CD-R’s have the same surface heterogeneity, either this is the expected appearance, or JVC needs to work some kinks in production out, or something happened after the disks left the manufacturing plant. The disks burn without incidence but the quality scans can be horrible (much inconsistency) and this makes me wonder if this batch is sub-par and also how well these disks will age (longevity). Both disks I burned with actual data played as expected in my DVD players.