JVC (Taiyo Yuden) Premium Grade cd-r

vbimport

Hi,
I use high-quality cd’s to archive important data.

I generally buy Verbatim AZO Crystal discs, but some weeks ago I puchased a few spindles of JVC (Taiyo Yuden) Premium Grade cd’s (CD-R80HSS25):

This morning I’ve discovered by pure chance that, using a sharp object, it’s very easy to remove the lacquer and reflective layers from the JVC discs. In fact these layers are just the two sides of the same thin film.

On the contrary, the Verbatim AZO Crystal discs have a crystal clear lacquer that is very hard to remove and is clearly separate from the reflective layer.

I’m not a cd expert, but the JVC Taiyo Yuden discs I purchased seem to me as a low-quality item compared to Verbatim AZO Crystal… What do you think about it? Is it safe to use the JVC Taiyo Yuden discs for archive purpose? Are the Verbatim AZO Crystal the last quality discs on the market?

Thank you

cervantes

Taiyo Yuden cds have been noted for their excellence in writing quality and lack of deterioration of data for many years. I have some that are over ten years old now and still readable, and I’m sure there are many here at the site who have some even older.

Very few people tend to test them with sharp, pointy objects.

If you anticipate many sharp implements near your media in the future, then you should perhaps stick to the Verbatim discs.

Yo-

I have to totally agree with Kerry - I have been using Taiyo Yuden CD-R’s for the past 8 years and have never seen anything like this-eh!!

The Taiyo Yuden CD-R are in no way a “low quality item”. You simply chose the wrong item if you wish to have the heavy lacquer finish of the Crystal disks. Get TYs in laquer or watershield print variety if you need CD-Rs that are more resistant to the damage you inflicted on that poor disc ;).

JVC Taiyo Yuden CD-R is probably the best CD-R media you can get in terms of compatibility and burn quality.

In terms of protection of the top layer, however, Verbatim Crystal (Super) AZO CD-R is one of the toughest available, whereas the JVC Taiyo Yuden is merely average.

If you want to archive your media, I would consider JVC Taiyo Yuden to be the best available.

If you want to use your media often and need it to be tough, the Verbatim Crystal (Super) AZO is your best bet (*).

(*) Unless you can find some old Verbatim Extra Protection Made in Japan or Verbatim Pastel Extra Protection Made in Japan, both of which are Taiyo Yuden media with a tough top layer and Verbatim branding - the best of both worlds.

Welcome to the MyCE forums. :slight_smile:

Hi,
thank you for your assurances. Just a clarification about the origin of the damage. The lacquer/reflective layer was originally scratched by a key in my bag. Then I put the point of a pocket knife in the crack and the disc started to peel with incredible easiness. On the contrary, I was not able to remove the lacquer/reflective of the Verbatim Crystal AZO cd’s: they just don’t peel!

cervantes

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2683602]JVC Taiyo Yuden CD-R is probably the best CD-R media you can get in terms of compatibility and burn quality.

In terms of protection of the top layer, however, Verbatim Crystal (Super) AZO CD-R is one of the toughest available, whereas the JVC Taiyo Yuden is merely average.

If you want to archive your media, I would consider JVC Taiyo Yuden to be the best available.

If you want to use your media often and need it to be tough, the Verbatim Crystal (Super) AZO is your best bet (*).

(*) Unless you can find some old Verbatim Extra Protection Made in Japan or Verbatim Pastel Extra Protection Made in Japan, both of which are Taiyo Yuden media with a tough top layer and Verbatim branding - the best of both worlds.

Welcome to the MyCE forums. :)[/QUOTE]

Your reply is simply perfect: short and thorough!!!

I don’t know why, but for at least the last 2 years I get much better scans with the tape wrap shiny silver 52x pros than with ANY other TY’s. And the difference is not subtle; it’s significant. They’re also pretty much the cheapest TY pros.

The cat # on these is JCDR-ZZ-SK.

Long time ago, while I was a student.
I had the same problem on my PHILIPS CDD2600 with “Taiyo Yuden CDR-74/670T”.