JVC Advanced Media Now Available in the U.S

This is the first retailer I’ve seen which carries the new branded Taiyo Yuden in the states:

http://www.cds.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=jvc&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

wtf $29.452 USP ground from OH to WI for a 25 pack :disagree:

Please note we have added a $10.00 minimum order fee to your shipping cost if your order is under $100.00. This is removed automatically when you order $100.00 or more.

Yes, lots of retailers have ridiculous shipping rates for sending media via UPS. It would probably be a better idea to call them and see if those rates can be negotiated. Judging by the minimum order surcharge, they intend to primarily deal with larger orders and businesses. We may have to wait until a place like SuperMediaStore, Meritline, or Rima carries these before they will be affordable.

One good thing is that they have a real storefront/warehouse and do allow in-person pickup. So, if you’re anywhere near Pleasant Hill, Ohio, you can avoid shipping altogether.

In reality it shouldn’t be a big deal because when I actually order it will be over $100 anyway, BUT I am saving for a Plasma so I am on a strict no media purchasing for a while :doh:

Thanks for posting this though and really the prices are not to bad if you get free shipping.

[QUOTE=negritude;2447717]Yes, lots of retailers have ridiculous shipping rates for sending media via UPS. It would probably be a better idea to call them and see if those rates can be negotiated. Judging by the minimum order surcharge, they intend to primarily deal with larger orders and businesses. We may have to wait until a place like SuperMediaStore, Meritline, or Rima carries these before they will be affordable.

One good thing is that they have a real storefront/warehouse and do allow in-person pickup. So, if you’re anywhere near Pleasant Hill, Ohio, you can avoid shipping altogether.[/QUOTE]

No 8x +R TY included. That dispels any interest for me.

Not that I order many dvds online anymore.

http://www.cdrwinkel.com/shop/browse/category/DVD%2BR/DVD%2BR

This is the Internetshop for the Netherlands and Europe…
( a daughter company of IWONATEC.DE)

First I bought VERBATIM MADE IN JAPAN, with the TaiyoYuden ID code.
now I will step over to JVC/TY :wink:

gr. HardwareHarry

After looking around some more I wonder if these are Watershield?

http://www.cds.com/JVC-Photo-Grade-16X-DVD-R-25-Disc-Spindle-p/vd-r47hps25.htm

Print high-quality photo-realistic images on JVC’s DVD-R Photo Grade media. This all-new media surface produces vibrant colors, fast dry time, water resistance, and a glossy finish.

edit:

I think they are look at the part number for this 50 pack JDMRWPPSB16-WS2
http://www.cds.com/JVC-16X-White-Inkjet-Hub-Printable-DVD-R-p/jdmrwppsb16-ws2.htm

If it is $24 a 50 pack is one of the lowest prices for Watershield I have seen

October 12 SuperMediastore has the JVC discs and they always offer
free shipping over $25 (21 different quanity/qualitys for sale)

ooops… double poster!

I’m curious: Are you excited about the Gold surface? That’s mostly what the retail stuff is?
I’m a little confounded as Gold is a premium and not terribly popular. Especially DVD+RW

Is it the 25 packs? Certainly not the DVD-R DL (which I’m told for various reasons will be the only DL available from JVC/TY)?

I’d be curious to hear what people think about the gold surface as well.

I’ve read that the gold reflective layer doesn’t really make a difference. Supposedly the actual data layer will degrade long before the reflective layer in an archival situation.

[QUOTE=midnightcheese;2451729]I’d be curious to hear what people think about the gold surface as well.

I’ve read that the gold reflective layer doesn’t really make a difference. Supposedly the actual data layer will degrade long before the reflective layer in an archival situation.[/QUOTE]

:iagree: and more concerning is gold is less reflective. That’s actually an issue in playback with some players.

Of course we are waiting to see exactly what ‘gold’ means. Does that mean gold colored polycarbonate, gold looking, gold hybrid. I think of all the gold knockoffs that did not last very long and sported the word ‘gold’

Now to be straight about this the above links are not the professional media that we call Taiyo Yuden right now. This is officially named “JVC retail” The pro version is still labeled “Taiyo Yuden” and the JVC SKUs are completely different. We have some already loaded up but they are not available under the new SKUs yet. It will be the same as the current TY but with different numbers. I have both price lists in front of me :wink:

25 packs are [U]not[/U] in the Pro mix. It’s certainly not a mix of current TY products or in the near future the JVC pro line.

Premium, but not professional :disagree:

Surface: Gold Lacquer.

To me this means they have a Gold “colored top”, not a Gold reflective layer.

If they were to have a Gold reflective layer I would bet they would be more than double that price.

Or am I missing what you guys mean?

I think you are right on the money (Oh no another pun). the price list says ‘archival grade’ ‘gold Lacquer’ but the price is way below the cost of real gold discs…well most of the time :wink: some people find the best deals…

That must be what gold lacquer is all about. The few printable don’t have that description. That must be some special gold lacquer to make it archival. :smiley:

[QUOTE=CDR Sam;2451619]I’m curious: Are you excited about the Gold surface? That’s mostly what the retail stuff is?
I’m a little confounded as Gold is a premium and not terribly popular. Especially DVD+RW

Is it the 25 packs? Certainly not the DVD-R DL (which I’m told for various reasons will be the only DL available from JVC/TY)?[/QUOTE]

None of the interest in the product has anything to do with gold surfaces, DVD-R DL, or any other such nonsense.

We were hoping that there was the possibility of a slightly more consistent product than has been evident from the unbranded media of late, but now you seem to be implying that the JVC-branded media will be of a lower quality, in the same way that the corporate-use Falcon media is of lower quality than the already inconsistent pro line. Why would this be so? Can you clarify? You seem to be using Falcon terminology to describe TY products, which doesn’t make any sense.

Or, are you trying to say that there will be two different versions of the JVC-branded media, one that is more akin to the unbranded valueline, and one that is more akin to the unbranded premium?

@negritude
What I have been told is Taiyo Yuden AKA JVC advanced Media has recognized through it’s value-line program that price is more important then quality.
The fact that they are resorting to (IMHO) funny colored discs for the retail market makes me very suspicious and I was surprised to see it presented that way.
Your point about Falcon is correct and was based off the same theory above about value-line. I’ve said to them that all they are going to do is cannibalize their premium line (like Falcon) and not increase profit. Marketing was never a strong point of TY and it continues on. We have been assured that the quality will continue to be better then anyone else and continues to be made in Japan.
(they will continue to use the secret tunnel under the Japanese sea to China to wheel the carts of bulk discs to be packaged by the Chinese :wink: )
I have been staring at the Retail list for two weeks with WTF reflecting in my eyes. -R DL ? Wasn’t it enough of a disaster the first time around? We can only hope that everyone will be blown away by the ‘new’ products.
“Will the JVC media be somewhere in-between the unbranded valueline and the unbranded premium” Yes that is my understanding. It should be close to the premium what ever that means. They just keep comparing it to everything else (MBI,Ritek,CMC) and saying it will be better.

In the end the consumer decides…and has decided with the value-line. :sad:

I should also add (if I have not added enough :rolleyes: ) that the branded product is aimed at a completely different market (I already said what I think about the marketing from TY). Your not so local office supply store and the like. This is to ‘break it into’ the retail market. Make ‘JVC’ a household name. Maybe I should not be so cynical and just go with it :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe the gold color will be like the green magic marker that makes audio sound so much better on my gold discs. :bigsmile: :disagree:

Yeah Sam I know what you mean about -R DL lol, didn’t think we would ever even see them in the US from TY.

That being said my PS3 does play the Mitsubishi 8x MKM 0R3D30 I have just fine.

Eventually I will place an order and give them a try.

In regards to TY DVD-R DL:

Laugh all you want, but it can’t be any worse than the crap everyone but MKM puts out.

I was thinking more along the lines of compatibility and the target market of consumer. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a unique format for eclectic recording. :bigsmile:

It actually has been here before. :iagree: :stuck_out_tongue: It was RMA city here one week and gone the next :doh: that was a few years ago though.

Everyone else abandoned -R dual layer years ago. It is a Taiyo Yuden pet project that did not quite make it off the ground. :rolleyes:

I’m sure after making an absolute statement I will be corrected but I can’t think of any other -r DL.

[QUOTE=CDR Sam;2452321]Everyone else abandoned -R dual layer years ago. It is a Taiyo Yuden pet project that did not quite make it off the ground. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]AFAIK the DVD+R DL format is not popular in Japan and people use DVD-R DL instead for their recorders.

Taiyo Yuden is a Japanese company. :wink:

I’m sure after making an absolute statement I will be corrected but I can’t think of any other -r DL.
Verbatim for one.