JVC 7-Disk Changer: XV-FA900: Odd Issue

I have the JVC 7-Disk Changer, model XV-FA900. Ninty percent of the time I play my Sony Accucore -R, 8X media movie backups on it. They play flawlessly. Just lately, it has had problems playing pressed DVD Originals!

Sometimes I have to open and close the tray three times to get DVD Original recognition. Sometimes jumping chapters results in a freeze. Sometimes menu functions don’t work correctly. Again, NO prob with my -R backups. Very weird … anyone else ever experience this?

Is it possible that a player can get so used to -R backup media that it has trouble playing original DVD movies anymore?

Thanks,
Whisperer

To me it seems like the laser lens needs cleaning: DVD-R single layer discs have a higher reflectivity than dual-layer pressed discs, which means that chances are that the laser will also read even single layer pressed discs. I have seen a similar issue with an old Pioneer A03 PC DVD writer where it could only read single layer discs, however in that case the laser was on its way out as cleaning didn’t help and the drive kept giving ‘Power calibration errors’ when ever I tried writing at 2x with it.

For a start, I would recommend running a laser-lens cleaning disc in it as this should help clear off any dust that has built up on the laser-lens. :wink: Finally, don’t use a wet/dry based cleaning disc (those that come with cleaning fluid) as these often leave residue on the laser lens which from my experience causes more harm than good.

Seán,
Thanks for your postback. Good logic, well supported, well worded.

Yah, I guess I’ll have to try that. Always been afraid that those little brushes would knock the lens out of alignment. I wonder if your A03 died a brush-induced death! :frowning: I’ll try the dry brush first but, since you mentioned it, it occured to me that it may not just be dust, it may be my girlfriends cigarette smoke creating a residue on the lens that is the issue. In which case I may need a wet system to dissolve the the yellowish, tacky residue of cig smoke. What if i don’t use the supplied fluid (there is more than just alcohal per the ingredients label) but use 91% alcohol instead (which should evaporate cleaner) … any less chance of residue remaining on the lens?

I was going to unplug the unit and try to dump all it’s memory and then re-power it and re-set all it’s settings. Don’t know if it has a backup battery that has to also be removed. Your’s is the more likely solution though.

Thanks,
Whisperer

I own the JVC 7 disc XV-FA95. I think the same unit silver instead of black. 4 1/2 years old I have no problem reading disc’s, but the unit turns its self on cycles the tray and opens. A friend owns the same unit same age as mine. He has trouble reading disc’s except Ritek G04. These he has trouble with Ty, Verbatim, Ritek G03 G05, FujiFilm, and Prodisc. He has did the reset, off JVC website no help! It will always play a pressed disc. Strange thing it reads Verbatim DL +R 95166 every time like a pressed disc, burned iso dvdd bitsetting -Rom. He’s used DVDCD brush cleaner nothing seems to help. He thinks the tray’s miss align or laser failing. He thinks warming unit up with pressed disc for a few minutes then change the disc works better but not always.
Mine works with anything you throw at it except RW.

The Pioneer A03 I had was actually one a friend asked if I could repair. He got it 2nd hand as a non-functioning drive about three years ago as it would not even recognise any discs, never mind write one. When I went to have a look at it, I had to dismantle it to get at the internal mechanism. From what I recall, I just used a Q-tip to clean off the surface of the laser lens and got it working, however no matter what I tried, it would not read pressed dual-layer DVDs or write faster than 1x. However at the time I never actually used a cleaning disc in the drive since I cleaned it manually. But then again, the writer came in handy considering new DVD writers were well typically €250+ back then. :rolleyes:

So far, I haven’t encountered anyone who had DVD player or PC DVD-ROM issues as a result of cigarette smoke, but then again this is possible. If you do decide to use cleaning fluid, I would recommend doing a residue test first: Get an unwanted disc (such a failed CD-R) and ensure its surface is clean. Now, place it silver-side up in a place that will not be disturbed and put a few drops of the cleaning fluid you intend using on the disc surface. Leave it to dry off and then carefully look at the disc surface to see if any residue remains. In fact, when I tried this with the cleaning-fluid that came with my wet/dry laser lens cleaning disc, I was shocked to see clear residue marks remain after the drops dried up. Otherwise, if the liquid completely evaporates without residue, it should be safe to use in my opinion.

From my experience, so far I never actually seen a DVD player, Hi-Fi, DVD-ROM drive or anything else that can play CDs ruined by a dry-based cleaning disc. However, I would discourage using cleaning discs with long brushes in a PC drive as I once had one of the brushes come off in a PC drive :eek: , likely due to the high rotational speeds these drives spin at, however no harm was done even in this case.

Good luck getting your player running back to normal :wink:

What about 91% (as pure as I can find in stores) alcohal as a cleaner using a wet system, brush cleaner?

BTW: thanks for helping. Thought this area of cdf was dead. Not1 :bigsmile:

I have seen cleaning fluids up to 99.7%, however I would imagine the one you have would work quite well, considering its high alcohol percentage. To be on the safe side, I would still recommend trying a residue test, i.e. placing a couple of drops on a shiny surface (such as a failed/unwanted CD-R) and see if any residue remains once the drops dry up. This will basically give an indication to what the laser lens surface will be like once it dries up also with this fluid. :wink:

No problem. This area is picking up quite fast now with the increasing popularity of DVD recorders, as just about a year ago DVD recorder prices were finally falling to levels consumers could afford. :slight_smile:

Finally got a day off. Chose an original pressed movie disk that I had previously had trouble with just “Play”, with using chapter >>| advancing and with using FF>>'ing (Fatal Attraction Spec. Collector’s Ed.).

Cleaned with a dry method bush disk kit (Maxell model CD-340 kit, made in Phillipines). No difference. Still had player feature problems.

Cleaned with the a wet method kit (Maxell model CD-340 kit) but used 91% alcohol. Presto(!), no more problem. BTW, the cleaning fluid included in the kit (Phillips brand/OEM’d from Accessories Service Center/Gemini Industries, made in china) left a real noticeable residue on the shiny side of a disk, just as you warned about.

Thank you Seán and KheSanh too for your input.

Whisperer

Whisperer
Have to ask a question. My friend and I used a cddvd cleaner with brushes dry, then put alcohol on the brushes and ran it. Repeated the wet method couple of times. They just seemed to evaporate the alcohol as fast as it was applied. So we were never sure if the alcohol dryed before we got it in the player and running. Is this kit you bought the same brushes as all cleaning kit’s or different?
No one has mentioned a fix for my ghost machine that turns its self on and ejects the tray! Yet.

Thanks in advance

edit

I own a Sony hdmi upconverting I exchanged at BB. After owning the Samsung 840 dvi upconverting player for a year. SS 840 mine a piece O junk went through 4 players all video breakup. Tech at local Sony shop that sold them also, told me he thinks there’s a timing issue in dvi. Who knows! The Sony works - + R DL + R fine, but not with hdmi. Red, green, blue video cables. The ones that will disapear on new players because of copy protection.
Thats where I think lies the problem with SS HD 840 and dvi connection.
Never get rid of the JVC untill it dies. It reads so good and picture quality in progressive scan, on 42 Sony lcd HDTV. I think is better than the new Sony or SS player when it worked.

First off, in coming back today and reading my last posting, I see that I made a typing mistake and it is too late to edit it (30 minute limit):

It should read:

“Cleaned with the a wet method kit (deleted) but used 91% alcohol. Presto(!), no more problem. BTW, the cleaning fluid included in the kit (Phillips brand/OEM’d from Accessories Service Center/Gemini Industries, made in china) left a real noticeable residue on the shiny side of a disk, just as you warned about.”
Reposting correct text just to avoid confusion.

KheSanh,
You asked:

First of all, I bought the Phillips kit because it clearly stated on the packaging that it was a “Wet System” Cleaning kit. The wet system that I used (the Phillips brand) had two larger brushes on the cleaning disk that looked like they could hold fluid better than simply wetting the single, smaller brush on the dry method (Maxell) kit. But even with the “wet system” kit, I thought the alcohol might evaporate because the narrator’s voice playing on the wet kit talked for 20 seconds about how “…modern and marvelous a cleaning system I had purchased…etc” and then instucted me to then play track4 to start the cleaning process! Thinking this time lapse might result in evaporation, I then ejected the cleaning disk, rewet it both brushes and then pressed track4 as soon as the narrators’ voice played (not waiting for the narrators 20 second speech to end) and let the track4 cleaning cycle run for 20-30 seconds. Worked for me.

Sorry, don’t know anything about this problem or your question in your posting #11. My problem was just that -R Sony media played well but I could not play original pressed disks well. And the Phillips wet cleaning system fixed that for me.

Best regards,
Whisperer

It just occured to me, older JVC players were not made to play +R media. They only play -R (especially JVC players). Are the media you mentioned above all +R media? That is probably your friends problem. The fact that it does play bitset +R backups is pretty close to good evidence that it the JVC doesn’t like plain vanilla +R finalized disks. In summary, use -R or bitset +R backups on old JVC’s. Consult your player’s owner manual specs for what kind of disks it is rated to be compatible with and check here too:
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

Whisperer

By the way, can you please post a link to the JVC site support page that provides “resets” for my JVC 7-Disk Changer, model XV-FA900. I was all over the JVC site looking for such a page and could not find anything even refering to a player “reset” download.

Thank you,
Whisperer

I’m not sure if this is the reset guide you are looking for, however it does cover your model: :slight_smile:

http://www.jvc.com/support/documents/DVD_Procedures.PDF

Thats the one I found Sean posted.
DVD Reset procedure XVFA90-XVF92-XVFA95

1.Make sure there is no disc in the tray, then shut off unit and disconnect the power cord.

1. While holding PLAY and STOP buttons reconnect the power cord

2. Word TEST should be displayed on the front panel

3. Press FORWARD SKIPP >>I button on the front panel , then press PAUSE

4. Wait until blue indicator will light up (DVD AUDIO light–after approx. 10 seconds)

5. Shut the power off, reset is finished

If yours is a 900 or 90?
My friend has always burned -R. The player that won’t play them. I have mostly burned +R and my XVFA95, has no problem playing - + R +RDL.
Thanks for the info on the cleaning kit will pass it on for him to try. Your right the disc cleaner cd we had were small brushes and probably didn’t do much!

Thanks for the PDF reset instructions. You indeed do have a different changer than me but I didn’t say so before. Mine is a “900” and the 902 was the silver model.

Now, :doh: please tell me what is the purpose of a “Reset”? What will be the result and benefit if I follow the reset instructions in the PDF (which I was all over their site and could not find!).

Thanks,
Whisperer

The reset will undo changes and settings you have made in it. Like audio setup video setup and the like. Resets to factory defaults just like when you bought it new. It did nothing for my friends problem and he had to redo his settings.
The reset I posted is not for your player. Follow Sean’s link to JVC and find your procedure.
Good luck