Just want to be sure on 810a/-r crossflash

Hey guys, i have visited your forums for a while now but just recently registered. I have a couple of questions. I was in the market for a new dvd burner and after MUCH searching and reading i found out it was the general accepted that the benq drives were the best. Well since those are kinda hard to find now i went looking around but found out that tigerdirect has the sony dru-810a availble so i went ahead and bought one and it should be here anyday now.

Now i understand that there are two models of this drive: the plain 810a which everyone says is the 1640, and the 810a-r which people say is the 1650.
Now i dont which one i’m going to recieve but my guess is that it will be the -r. However i want to make sure that i have the crossflashing procedures correct.

-810A:
1)First i need to get the rpc1 firmware from the dangerous brothers
2)Download BQFlasher.exe
3)Download the nero wnaspi32.dll
4)Put everything in one folder
5)Reboot in safemode and flash away
6)Reboot and then i should have a 1640?

-810A-R:
1)First download the OFFICIAL(?) BCIC.EXE firmware from BenQ
2)Download BQFlasher.exe
4)Put everything in the same folder
6)Reboot and hopefully i should have a 1650?

Do I have the steps correct or am i missing anything?
Also i should note that i’m going to be flashing the drive INSIDE of my computer (connected to IDE cable) and not in an external exclosure thru USB. Do i need to take any special precautions when flashing thru IDE? Most of the posts that i read you guys are flashing thru USB.

Finally I would just like to hear from you guys who have successfully flashed a DRU-810A-R to the DW-1650. And how you guys went about it. Thanks for reading and sorry its kind long. :doh:

Be careful in crossflashing the 810A -R… Go to http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=184409&highlight=810 and read about it…

Thanks for the reply, i have already read that thread like 4 times and thats why i just want to make sure that what i have stated is right. Because by the end of the thread it seems that people say that they “think” the -R is a 1650 and that some people have flashed it successfully. I guess that i will just have to take my chances. But is the procedure that i posted above correct on flashing the drive regardless of which version i end up with?

I think the procedure is correct but READ CAREFULLY or you will blow your drive… :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

In both cases it does not matter if you flash the original Benq or RPC1 patched Benq firmware as they only differ in the RPC1 patch.

Thanks alot for the replies guys. So it doesnt matter which firmware i flash jus as long as its 1650 for the -R and 1640 for the normal 810A? Because i was reading in one of the threads and someone said that if you flash the original 1640 firmware to the regular 810A it will fry it. And so the procedure is posted is right then? Also while we are on the subject, what does the RPC1 patch do? I think it just makes the drive region free, is this correct?

Correct.

Because i was reading in one of the threads and someone said that if you flash the original 1640 firmware to the regular 810A it will fry it.

The RPC1 patched firmware could not cure such a general problem. There are several reports of successful crossflashes from a 810 to a 1640 firmware here.

And so the procedure is posted is right then?

Yes, it is.

Also while we are on the subject, what does the RPC1 patch do? I think it just makes the drive region free, is this correct?
No, it shifts the problem from the drive to the software running on the PC. Have a look here for details.

Cool, thanks for the info guys, I should have the burner sometime right after christmas so i will flash it when i get it and post back in here letting you guys know how it went, hope it goes good!

Ok guys got another question. I was wondering if i did get the -R model, do i have to flash it with the 1650 firmware or am i ame to flash it to the 1655 as well?

The 1655 firmware has no advantage, so take the 1650 firmware.

-810A-R:
1)First download the OFFICIAL(?) BCIC.EXE firmware from BenQ
2)Download BQFlasher.exe
4)Put everything in the same folder
6)Reboot and hopefully i should have a 1650?

Yes, :iagree: do this, just did my brand new out the box Sony and now I have a BenQ 1650 :clap: :iagree:

Awesome guys, thats for all the help and question answering ala42, and thanks for a little light of hope of this working corvette :slight_smile:

Good news, the drive came early so i recieved it today. At first i was happy because the box said it was a “DRU-810A” without the “-R” so i thought i lucked out and got a 1640, but when i looked at the drive label on the bottom of the drive itself it had the “-R” on it, which i thought was weird seeing how the box left the “-R” off. Good thing i inspected the drive because i was ready to flash it wit the 1640 firmware. However i flashed it with the 1650 BCIC firmware and everything went perfect, i now have converted this sony drive to a benq 1650!! Thanks for all the help guys. :slight_smile: