Just the end of DVDs burning bad?

Hello. I’m using the Beta 5 firmware (I’ve tried others as well), and I’ve noticed that about half my DVD burns are corrupt at the very end. I burn slowly (at 2x) with decent media (haven’t had the chance to try other types though). If I burn a backup DVD, about half of them are corrupt about 1:40 into a 2:00 movie (if I try the burn again, it might work fine). Also some DVDs I burned with files have the last couple large files corrupt. Any ideas? Think it’s a media problem? Other suggestions? Thanks.

If it’s going bad only at the end of the movie, then it’s most probably due to your media. What are you using?

That is a typical sign of poor quality media.
Please post the MID codes of the media you are using.
What gave you the idea that burning at 2X is ‘better’ ?
That assumption can be incorrect in many cases depending on the burn strategies in the firmware.

for some reason, lots o ppl here and in other forums think that burning dvds n cds at the slowest possible speeds automatically = better, more reliable burns. I’ve even seen requests to re-enable 1x burning for dvd-rs on 8x8 writers in some hacked firmwares, and enable 1x burning on cds with a 52 speed writer.

not for me… I have nec 2500a… strange thing happened to me, as I burn my DVD both +R and -R, the result of burned with 6X is always better than 4X. and 8X for DVD+R (RICOHJPNR01) is always better than 4X. For DVD-R (RitekG04) 8X is baddddd… has a lot of error on it… but 6X will be fine and once again better than 4X. I don’t know why, but I will just stick with burning 6X to all my DVDs. My point is just try to burn with different speed and scan with programs such as DVDInfoPro or CDSpeed.

I remember some tests show that a CD has lowest error when burned at about one rank lower then its certified speed. That means burning 40X media at 32X or so… If the burning speed is too low, errors start to increase.

It seems that “the writing strategy” is really important for the DVD burning.
So if 4x strategy is better than 2.4x then, 4x result can be better.
I don’t think there’s any simple rule in this. Just try all speed, and pick one speed that compromise time & quality. If every speed looks good, I feel like to vote for 4x, because at 6x or 8x, there’s speed change, and it bothers me a little bit. (Probably it doesn’t matter. Just a mental comfort.)

Yeah, it’s pretty cheap media I got off shop4tech.com, but I never heard of anyone else that had the same problems in the huge thread in a hot deals forum.

I think I’ve tried burning at 4x but it doesn’t work with the media, since I think it’s rated at 2x.

I have to go out now, but I’ll post the MID codes later when I figure out how to acquire them. Thanks for the info.

Not to spread out a rumor, but based on my experience, I bought RitekG04 DVD-R in shop4tech for a little less money than in newegg.com, and they have a different quality. The one from newegg has a lot less error and the one from newegg has ridata label on the inner ring (50pcs ridata plastic wrap), while the one from shop4tech came in 25pcs spindle and doesn’t have any label on inner ring. It’s just my experience, maybe I just got unlucky. I used to have a lot of trouble, but now I use the one from newegg and all my backups burned perfect.

My codes:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:Yi Jhan 001]

Disc Type : [DVD-R]
Manufacturer ID : [Yi Jhan 001]
Manufacturer Name : [Yi Jhan Technology Ltd.]
Disc Application Code : [Unrestricted Use : Consumer Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2x , 4x] (8x Cannot Be Detected)
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4,489.3MB = 4.38GB (4.71GB)]

[DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com]

Yeppers those Yi Jhan discs are definitely poor quality.
You must have gotten them from shop4tech as ‘Sonic’ branded DVD-R.
Your problems are definitely due to the crappy discs.
I have been recommending that everyone stay away from those ‘hot deal’ discs.

KnickNut i had the same problem with my first movies.My “white recordable”(fortunately only 5)burned with many read errors.Then i tried Philips,TDK etc.and my problems solved.Now i have Tayo Yuden wich are the best for me.

OK. Thanks. I’ll use these up and do some research next time. Hard to argue with 40c/disc, though. Surprised, since looking back at the hot deals thread, no one else had problems with them.

At that price, you can still try prodisc -4x at various places. (Not even a hot deal, just the regular price.) If something isn’t even cheaper than that, I don’t think there’s any reason to jump in a crappy media.