Just some stupid questions!1

WOW this forum is great. I’ve had these questions just floating around in my head and had no idea that there was a place that I could have them answered by the pros!!

1. Why does a burner lock-down?

2. Why can only some CD players read CDs created using Nero or InCD?

3. Kind of a spinoff of #2…If you format a CDRW using ROXIO, will other CD drives be able to read it if the CD is not closed?

thanks in advance

Why does a burner lock-down?

This can happen for a number of reasons please be more specific as to what is happening at the time to cause this.

Why can only some CD players read CDs created using Nero or InCD?

I’m not sure what you mean by this but I think you just mean InCD. InCD is a packet writing platform which treats your CD/DVD as a hard drive so only burns the data to it as and when you request it. Until you close the session the CD/DVD will only be able to be read in the CD-RW or DVD-RW drive.
Nero on the other hand will create CD’s or DVD’s that can be read in almost all players, I say almost all as some old CD/DVD players refuse to accept burnt media.

Kind of a spinoff of #2…If you format a CDRW using ROXIO, will other CD drives be able to read it if the CD is not closed?

In theory if you try to read the disc in another cd-rw or dvd-rw drive with the correct software installed on that machine then yes it should work but I have never tried this so I’m unsure of the answer but I imagine that this could be problamatic between different drives. The best bet is to just burn to a blank cd-r as these are now so cheap or to a cd-rw disc rather than using InCD.
If there is a reason as to why you need to know this please let us know your reason and we might be better able to help you.

thank you for the insight. But…how can you use a cd-rw without formatting it first. whenever I put a cd-rw disc in a window opens stating that it will now format the disc…is there another option as far as formatting one?

Simply treat the cd-rw as a cd-r so when burning files with nero instead of inserting your blank cd-r you insert your cd-rw. Nero will normally say this cd-rw is not empty do you wish nero to blank the cd-rw before you proceed, select Yes and away you go.

whenever I put a cd-rw disc in a window opens stating that it will now format the disc
This is to do with InCD and so you should disable InCD from asking you this every time you insert a blank. I have had very little dealings with InCD so I’m not the best person to ask how to do this but I should imagine it will be within the main settings somewhere…

If you want to be able to add more files to the disc at a later date, make sure to enable multisession on the disc.