Just received 1655 from newegg

vbimport

in the device manager and also in nero 7.x it shows up as ATAPI DVD LS 8x16x8x16 is this normal?

also the build date the unit itself was 11/05 and i have no idea what firmware is in it. is there a tool that shows what firmware it has? also, what is the best firmware for this drive?

thanks in advance,
bob

nero speed

Yes that is normal because the drive has OEM f/w which “G” series and you need to update the f/w with "B: series (BCDB) BenQ original f/w.

?

TCAS - where would i get the firmware and also is there a particular way to flash it? windows based? any date firmware in particular? thanks in advance

i tried the bcdb and got this:

ATAPI DVD LS 8X16X8X16 Current firmware : GCAB
==> New firmware Version : BCDB

The drive is not allowed to be updated.
The drive is not allowed to be updated.

read about bqflasher. It will void your warranty, but become a better drive.

thanks, got it done. i am not really too concerned about the warranty, but thanks for the heads up.

I have 2 retail and 1 oem and all three have the firmware listed on the upc tag on top of the box.

Sorry bob I could get back to sooner, I see you have successfully flashed your drive with BenQ “B” series Congrat. Happy burning.

That is odd. I ordered a 1655 OEM from 'egg 2/1/06 and it came with BCAB firmware straight out of the box. I ordered a 2nd 1655 for the little lady’s birthday (because she fell in love with the lightscribe). I havent hooked it up yet, its still in the newegg bubblewrap, but you got me wondering…

The first batches of OEM 1655 came with firmware BCAB. It has been reported that latest shipment of (some) OEM 1655 came with GCAB. But don’t worry bulwaagh, read post #6 above.

I wasnt sure on what was considered “first batch.” I thought I waited a long time to finally pick one of the drives up. I’m not unfamiliar or unwilling to flash a firmware or two, but it is for her machine and she’s not enthusiast level by any means. I figure, if its a G-series firmware, as long as it works, I won’t touch it. If its BCAB or better, it will be icing on the cake. Her applications are mainly CD burning, but as soon as she saw the lightscribe disks, it was all over…

no probs. i am having some issues with some media though, think i got a bad batch of these verbatims in this thread - http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=174684#post1363070

i contacted verbatim and they told me to send them to their NC address, but i only paid ~$18US for them and i figure that it will be ~$8US to ship them back so i will probably just use them and see what comes of it.

just an fyi, it was these at newegg - http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustRatingReview.asp?Item=N82E16817130950

I ordered an 1655 a months ago and it came with BCBD. But the drive was giving me a coaster for every 5 burns on average. So I RMAed ot to new egg and just received the replacement. Sure enough this one is GCAB and showed up as ATAPI drive instead of BenQ. But physically they look identical, so I don’t know how flashing a firmware is going to void warranty. Do they actually go in and check your firmware?

So far I havent had a bad burn with the GCAB firmware yet, but Nero CDSpeed can only scan DVDs at 0.3x, which makes me want to flash to BCBD again. But I am not sure if my bad burns was due to firmware or physical hardware. So I am still debating if I should flash it.

You should check your burst rate and maybe your DMA settings and cable. Limited scanning that slow is something wrong.

Flashing with official firmware and flasher will not void your warranty. Unfortunately, to flash the OEM version GCAB to the Retail BCDB we need to use unofficial flasher, thus will void your warranty.

So far I havent had a bad burn with the GCAB firmware yet, but Nero CDSpeed can only scan DVDs at 0.3x, which makes me want to flash to BCBD again.
Yes, that’s a typical issue when you try scanning with GCAB firmware. It will only scan at around 0.3x and the result is not comparable to other scans in this forum.
But I am not sure if my bad burns was due to firmware or physical hardware.
It might be also your media.
So I am still debating if I should flash it.
Different firmware will result differently. If we are comparing GCAB/BCAB and BCDB, the latest BCDB has fixed several issues and in particular see their release reason point 1.

Release Reason (BenQ DW1655 firmware BCDB)

1. Improved the writing quality by updated writing strategy.
  2. Improved LightScribe printing quality.
  3. Fixed QScan hang issue.

The Staples Stores still have this drive under retail package from “I/O Magic” on sale for $49.99 and you can present coupon for $10 + %12 Customer Appreciation Coupon and walk out with the drive for $35+tax but hat is until coming Sunday April 2,.

Yea I’m thinking about going to my local staples, and picking that up, hopefully they’ll have em in stock and have the benq 1655 version.

@ TCAS

Where do I get $10 + %12 Customer Appreciation Coupon’s. Thanks alot Storm~
Also what do I use to crossflash, BQflasher only thing to use?..

Here is the $10 coupon ( post # 10) and the same thread you can find the %12 coupon also. As for flashing to official BenQ BCDB just read the same thread for instruction.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=172896

12% is expired now