Just purchased DH-20A4P-04

vbimport

My ldw401/@811s finally went out on me after several years last night (reads CDs, but does not recognize DVDs at all) :frowning:

So after a (very) brief check of the forums, I just ordered a new DH-20A4P-04 from Newegg for $23.99.

I see there’s lots of comments about firmwares to improve burn quality & speed, etc. However, what I loved about my old drive was that I had altered the firmware to auto-bitset +R media to -ROM.

Unfortunately, I’ve been out of the firmware hobby for quite a while now (old drive ran fine and there were no real updates for that model), so I’m wondering:
Whats currently the best method to look at to enable auto-bitsetting on this new drive? I realize you can do it in software in some cases, but I’ve switched over to linux the last few years, so a permanent firmware method would be preferred (although I do keep an XP dual-boot as needed, so I can run the Omni-patcher\etc as needed)

Any advice on my new toy?
Thanks!

Here go here http://www.liteonit.com/global/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=153 then just download the BookType / Bitsetting Utility for Optical Storage Products

If I’m not wrong, any burning software has a tool to change bitsetting.

I use ImgBurn, and it has a very nice tool to check and change bitsetting options :slight_smile:

Thanks folks, but as noted I’m running Linux primarily, so the LiteON tool doesn’t help, that’s why I’m looking for a firmware solution.

I believe that you can store the setting in the EEPROM, which won’t require resetting. You’ll have to be in Windows, but I know ImgBurn offers the option to change it in the EEPROM permanently. After that, it should stay set.

I don’t know of any way to do that directly with the firmware for these drives.

When in ImgBurn:

Select Tools > Drive > Change Book Type
Select the Lite-On tab, drop down to all the options that end in EEPROM, change the settings individually–making sure to apply each setting as you do it–and do a test disc. It should write with the DVD-ROM booktype. :iagree:

[QUOTE=Albert;2023795]I believe that you can store the setting in the EEPROM, which won’t require resetting. But you’ll have to use a Windows machine to set it. After that, it should stay set.

I don’t know of any way to do that directly with the firmware anymore.[/QUOTE]

The Windows box isn’t an issue, as I’m dual-booted. What tool should I use to set it in the eeprom?

I edited my post above. :flower:

cool, thankx. I actually use ImgBurn via wine, along with dvdshrink too.
When the new drive arrives, I’ll do some experiments to see what actually works best.

Thanks again :bow:

I use the BookType Utility like PaulN64007 suggested. Here it is running under Wine in Linux. Checking “Save setting” will make it permanent (never mind the Query function and Current Disc Booktype indication which isn’t correct).

OmniPatcher doesn’t work with the newer drives any more.

cool, it saves the bitsetting permanently under wine even, then? It must write it to the eeprom, then.
I’m sooo out of touch with drive firmware, guess it’s a good time for a refresher :wink:

[QUOTE=Albert;2023795]I believe that you can store the setting in the EEPROM, which won’t require resetting. You’ll have to be in Windows, but I know ImgBurn offers the option to change it in the EEPROM permanently. After that, it should stay set.

I don’t know of any way to do that directly with the firmware for these drives.

When in ImgBurn:

Select Tools > Drive > Change Book Type
Select the Lite-On tab, drop down to all the options that end in EEPROM, change the settings individually–making sure to apply each setting as you do it–and do a test disc. It should write with the DVD-ROM booktype. :iagree:[/QUOTE]

This is exactly how it is.  :iagree: