Just outta curiosity

Hey guys, i’m new to this forum today and have been playing around with dvdfab for about 2 weeks now, basically when i couldn’t get dvdshrink or dvddecrypter to copy a movie called “The American Haunting”. I’ve been in the dvdcopy scene since 1999. I remember using decsss.exe to decrypt my first movie to hard drive called Star Trek : First Contact. It was nice but the encoding to cd took forever with adobe premier. My have we come a long way over the years with dvd and then dl dvd and all this cool software. Well it seems every time a really good program gets going and free or for money, they always seem to get shutdown. One such program was called DVDXCOPY and is why i’m posting. As i said i usually use the free programs, mostly cause the pay ones always seem to have strange issues. One such issue would be with dvdfab decrypter where its target size is 4.17gb and not the 4.36gb ive come to expect from dvdshirnk. Anyhow those little bugs can be darn annoying but oh well. I’m getting ready to plop down my money just like everyone else and buy this little gem, mostly cause im looking for that one button solution and im looking for a company that will stay around. Question i have for anyone who has an idea, Is dvdfab a hybrid version of dvdxcopy platinum? Did this new software come from the same background? If so i’m very glad to see that development didn’t stop completely. I do know many paying customers were very upset when 321 studios went under. Like i said if anyone has any ideas id be glad to hear them.

Hi jgfuntime and welcome to cdfreaks,

This came up for discussion recently, just briefly though. Here’s the referenced thread…take a look at the latter portion if you’re interested.

I also own 321 studio dvdxcopy and you are sooo right…a whole lotta angry owners.
In retrospect, 321’s support was always abysmal; this, in marked contrast to Fengtao’s support, which is outstanding. Moreover, you have quite a collection of users here and forum support is also outstanding.

I found dvdxcopy to be incredibly inconsistent system to system and user to user, but overall, I had darn good luck with it. In contrast, although Fab 3 has had some growing pains, very minor for most (or bugs - being a completely new software), Fengtao has been johnny-on-the-spot in resolving these.

IMO, for a new software, Fab 3 is superb. Personally, I’ve only experienced a couple of minor glitches, fixable on a user level. Fengtao has also been really great about implementing requested features. Like you said, purchasing decrypting software is a bit of a crap shoot, but my belief is that Fab is as good as it gets… :iagree:

This question has been asked several time here and on the old dvdidle forum. Per fengtao the author of DVDFab. it is not a hybrid version of ? This question surfaced when DVDFab was renamed DVDFab Gold and DVDFab Express was developed with each being sold individually, then DVDFab Platinum (which was a combination of DVDFab Gold and DVDFab Express) came out. A few months ago DVDFab Platinum version3 was reworked with several new features added, but did not contain DVDFab Express. Platinum 3 xxx went through over 10 beta versions before being released, then owners of the previous version of Platinum were given free up grades. DVDFab Express was no longer available, but owners of DVDFab Gold and DVDFab Express were given the option of updating to DVDFab Gold Version 3 for free, which contained all the features of Platinum 2.xxx, or to upgrade to Platinum 3 xxx for a small fee.

I have a copy of 321 studios dvdxcopy platinum, which is still being sold but put warning screens on the copy that it is a copy. I never liked it that much and us ICOPYDVDS2 with DVD43 until movies came out that neither could copy.

Then I did a google search and found people talking positively about fengtao and his products. I bought a custom bundle, but mostly used Platinum. You can make the size larger but keeping it small is more stable since DVDs write from center outward information on outer tracks become less stable due to speed increase and chance of too much wobble due to a slightly warped disc that the eye cannot detect.

Mack

You can make the size larger but keeping it small is more stable since DVDs write from center outward information on outer tracks become less stable due to speed increase and chance of too much wobble due to a slightly warped disc that the eye cannot detect.

Hmm, I usually burn about 4.4gbMax on a single layer 4.7 gb disc. Never really had a problem with it working or playback. Guess i have a good burner? Also It burns at multi-speeds, and slows down after that 4.17 part.