Just introducing myself

want to give a shout out to you all. Thanks for having me.

What I am looking for is any advice on how to take all my DVD, and Blu ray and put them all to a back up hard drive and watch in my entertainment room. Of course I do not want to lose any video or sound quality due to the fact is I have spent so much money on my theater and all my movies. I just am tired of not having the shelves I require to store them all so they are now double stacked etc… now it is very dificult to find what I want to watch sometimes… any help is awesome

Welcome. I found one very convenient piece of software is MakeMKV because it will make an exact copy of your DVD or Blu Ray content (no menus, but who cares). I prefer using a dedicated HTPC to view them, but there are a lot of streaming boxes that can play them back too.

Thank you Olyteddy, I don’t really care about the menu as long as it plays in its original format and sound. Like I said I have been putting alot of money into my system over the years and would rather spend a little more to have a menu on screen to pull my movies up, maybe some type of hot swap raid system in my mechanical room that I can download all my collection to and store my movies in the attic. I purchase a movie or more a week and it is to cumbersome with the amount to keep storing them on a shelf

I have been out of the tech world for some time and just want to simplify my movie experience, and get rid of the clutter of movies that I can’t find in a timely manner anyway.

There are also several ‘front ends’ for handling movies and their playback. Media Browser and XBMC are two of them.

I know what you mean. Having them all in order then get a couple of new ones and having to shift every down to allow for a few more spaces. We started out with a Sony 300 disk player and then had to add a 400 disc player and now getting ready to buy another 400 disc (including blu-ray) player. The new one will probably be blu-ray only. When we started with the 300 disc unit we thought, what if someone broke in and stole the player full of new discs, so we started to make copies of the disc and put the copies in the Sony players and the originals are kept in a secure closet.
I don’t know how someone could steal a 400 disc player because it is extremely heavy.

Or have a dedicated computer with about 10TB of total hard drive space.

Thanks for the input, all of you. I just checked out a blu-ray disk changer and wow!! A little out of my price range since I would need 1 Blu-ray, and 3 standard DVD changers. I will explore doing a computer with a sata raid 5 slot hot swap enclosure and figure out how to access via my TV and av equipment. All suggestions welcome. Thanks Again!

I figure I can afford to start with 4 tb and build up from there. I have read on some other forums that dvd and bd will not work on a 3 tb hdd so I guess I will stick with the 2 tb and go from there.

Thanks Oly the XBMC looks like it might work well with my situation, also the makemkv. You are awesome.

[QUOTE=b_hatler;2671550]I figure I can afford to start with 4 tb and build up from there. I have read on some other forums that dvd and bd will not work on a 3 tb hdd so I guess I will stick with the 2 tb and go from there.[/QUOTE]

I wonder about that. I’ve got a couple of 3TB drives and they work fine. It may be that certain Operating Systems can’t handle 3TB. I use 64 bit versions of Windows and haven’t had a problem.

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2671437]There are also several ‘front ends’ for handling movies and their playback. Media Browser and XBMC are two of them.[/QUOTE]

I second XBMC. I have a friend who is using it, even so far as “re-appropriating” from work a newly decommissioned DL380 with 6TB of space on it for his server. He is, as my son would say “all in”!!

thanks again all, now I just need to find out if the raid, or nas will configure correctly to my control4 system.