Just got my shiny new dw1650 oem

vbimport

My new 1650 from Newegg just showed up.
They ain’t kidding when they say OEM, totally bare drive.

Bothers me it smells like the magic smoke chips let off when they die but there’s not a mark on this thing and I know newegg was totally out of stock for a week before I ordered so it should brand new - about to install and find out

stamped:
manufactured: February 2006
BC-AC0DCA/H0A/BCDC
9J.B4E1 5.0BI

it’s funny how the chinese on it says BQR-DW1655(B)

No worries. The smell will go away once the poisonous chemicals evaporate and settle in other places :slight_smile:

You mean the funny characters with circles and vertical lines? That’s the Hangul alphabet.

Heh well its up and running now, flashed to BCFC without a hitch.
Nice to see them using black trays for lower jitter like the plextors.

What I didn’t notice in other reviews and caught me by surprise is that there is absolutely no analog audio out on this drive at all. The plug is there but no pins inside. I use that feature maybe twice a year at most on my NEC so I guess it’s no big loss but wow that’s a weird place to cut corners.

Gonna warm it up with a +R and -R 16x burn and then try an overburn :wink:

added: already see a minor problem - qsuite doesn’t support large screen fonts properly, even on 2.1 - come on benq! So there are a total of seven tabs right? I’m not missing any hidden behind the cutoff I hope?

this drive does auto-booktype by default right?

Heh well its up and running now, flashed to BCFC without a hitch.
Nice to see them using black trays for lower jitter like the plextors.

What I didn’t notice in other reviews and caught me by surprise is that there is absolutely no analog audio out on this drive at all. The plug is there but no pins inside. I use that feature maybe twice a year at most on my NEC so I guess it’s no big loss but wow that’s a weird place to cut corners.

Gonna warm it up with a +R and -R 16x burn and then try an overburn :wink:

added: already see a minor problem - qsuite doesn’t support large screen fonts properly, even on 2.1 - come on benq! So there are a total of seven tabs right? I’m not missing any hidden behind the cutoff I hope?

this drive does auto-booktype by default right?

more added: I don’t like how the drive light is always on when there is a disc in, even though there is no activity - I hope benq decides to change that behavior and can fix it via firmware

Please, not again. I have to give Plextor marketing credit for creating the myth, but it’s false. I’m not going to say it’s typical Plextor [BenQ is just as guilty on a couple of other counts], but it’s certainly snake oil.

It’s time for some high-school [or middle-school, depending on which country you’re from] level physics.

We are talking about scattered single-digit milliWatts of reflected light applied over an area of many square inches, compared to 20-30 milliWatts applied by the main beam to a spot well under a square micron in size. That’s so many, many orders of magnitude of difference in power per area that it’s ridiculous to even consider the influence of the absorption rate of surrounding materials.

The color of the tray is no more important to the DVD burning process than the color of the room walls is to burning paper by using a magnifying glass (loupe) to concentrate sunlight in one tiny spot.

Yes, it does. You can see it in QSuite. If the tabs are not showing properly to be clicked on, use Ctrl-Tab to switch between them.

How bare is bare?

Mine was oem and did not even come with nero or blanks.

Bare as in drive in clear plastic bag and that’s it. Not even a foam shell to protect it. They must just cut them out of 20-pack crates and throw them into the shipping boxes.

Working well for me, overburning to 4600mb already :slight_smile:
Plextor can keep their $100+ drives (though I am jealous they can overburn straight from Nero without making a 2-step ISO process)

i ordered my 1650 OEM thru newegg and it came with nero disc. no cables, screws, manual. it was manif. Feb 2006.My only complaint is the green light which stays on all the time when disc is inside.I use it to burn music on cd-r and it does a good job . IDK anything about burning dvd so i cant comment.

The “drive led-on-when-disc-in” behavior has been with us for quite many BenQ DVDRW drive generations. Don’t think BenQ will change this.
If you don’t like “led always on”, Philips drives/firmwares is an alternative. Note though, your warranty will be voided when crossflashing. :slight_smile:

BTW ck, as an answer to your post in “overburning thread”, you can turn WOPC on and off without restarting compu…

:iagree:

Thanks for the WOPC info. I discovered the WOPC tool and turned it off and found that the drive seems to behave better when it’s off…

You’d think benq could spend the extra dime on a multi-color (green/yellow/red) led so they could indicate extra states. Oh well.

:bigsmile:

I didn’t like the green light staying on all the time either when I got my first Benq. I like the feature now. I always lets you know if you left a disc in the drive (like before flashing firmwares).

I got this drive as well, so Benq no longer uses a red light when burning? It’s a bummer for me

AFAIK the 1620 was the last BenQ with a red LED.

I got my 1650 from newegg and it had BCFC already on it. Love the drive!

Hey All…Got mine last week from the Egg and it too had BCFC already on it with a MFG. date of March 2006. And it did come with Nero which I could care less about as I have about 10 of the things just laying around. But I’m still very dissapointed. Have any of you tried burning at 16X yet? Mine won’t go past 12X with various medias and settings including MCC004.:a With Overspeed on, it claims to be able to burn at 16X with unbranded TY02 and the Verb MCC004 but no go. I think this one is going back. I’d appreciate any feedback from anyone who has had this problem or from folks who are able to burn at 16X.

Thanks

Darn it to heck, I start using it again this morning and it’s making nothing but coasters or stalling out, or dropping to 4x speed on 8x speed media. Argh.

I think the drive went bad after like half a dozen burns.

I’ve never returned anything to newegg, they charge a restocking fee don’t they? Not sure if I want another one of these not in replacement.

Try burning your MCC 004’s with OverSpeed off.
Also, if WOPC and, or SolidBurn are enabled, they
might not think the media is up to being burned
@16x.

If the drive is actually defective they won’t charge
the restocking fee. You will have to pay the shipping
to return it, but not on a replacement.
Anyone that’s actually RMA’d with Newegg can correct
me if I’m wrong. :slight_smile:

Hey Chuck…Been there done that. But just for giggles I just did another and the damn thing still won’t go over 12X. Guess it had to catch up with me sooner or later. This is the first item I’ve had to return to the Egg. :frowning: