Just got my Premium2 from local distributor

vbimport

Just for reference if anyone cares.

I live in Asia by the way.

In the box, there are both White and Black bezels
TLA #0103
Made in Japan
Manufacture date: Jan 2008

[QUOTE=rivest;2187861]Just for reference if anyone cares.

TLA #0103
Made in Japan
Manufacture date: Jan 2008[/QUOTE]Welcome to CDF’s:

Nice, must have firmware 1.03 on it? You can mail me the black bezel please :smiley: I live in the USA and no black bezels here :sad: See how my case needs a black bezel for it http://club.cdfreaks.com/1863760-post139.html :bow::bow: :bigsmile:

How much did you pay for it? In US dollars if you can convert.

Also for reference: I just took delivery of a Premium2/T3K (Europe Version):

• Manufactured January 2008
  • TLA# 0103, FW 1.03
  • S/N 216xxx
  • Made in Japan :cool:
  • No black bezel :sad:
  • Plextools Disc, screws and emergecy eject tool

My other Premium2 was produced in May 2006, TLA# 0101, S/N 109xxx, Made in China (still working fine, btw), so the production rate seems to be about 50’000 units per year, which is pretty low.

My mail order dealer now has them marked as “remaining stock, no reorder possible”. So since both sales in Europe and Asia consist of drives manufactured back in January 2008, maybe Plextor has stopped production? :confused:

[QUOTE=rivest;2187861]Just for reference if anyone cares.

TLA #0103
Made in Japan
Manufacture date: Jan 2008[/QUOTE]

Where’d you get your premium? :slight_smile: I live in Asia too! :wink: :flower:

[QUOTE=hwp;2193189]My other Premium2 was produced in May 2006, TLA# 0101, S/N 109xxx, Made in China (still working fine, btw), so the production rate seems to be about 50’000 units per year, which is pretty low.

My mail order dealer now has them marked as “remaining stock, no reorder possible”. So since both sales in Europe and Asia consist of drives manufactured back in January 2008, maybe Plextor has stopped production? :confused:[/QUOTE]

I was watching Plextor Japan’s online shop very closely. It took nearly 2 months for their inventory to drop from 70 drives to 20, and it was never getting replenished during that time. It seemed like maybe that was the very end of the Premium2’s production run, but then right between Christmas and New Years - all-the-sudden they had 99 drives in stock. Of course I can’t vouch that any of these are newly-manufactured, because Plextor also recently offered the Premium-U for less than a week - as if they came across an old stash. I’m not sure what was going on with that.

I figure that Plextor is going to stop production of the Premium2 sooner or later, and when they do - there won’t later be a Premium3. Audio CDs are a dying format - at least for something that anyone would be interested in burning. Audio CDs are going to be the primary focus of anyone trying to attain the lowest jitter and C1 - because they make no relevant difference on data CDs. With all these new factory-pressed audio CDs being released with special mastering methods (Blu-Spec) or special materials (SHM-CD) - if no red laser drive with consumer CD-Rs can compete with that (I haven’t done tests so I don’t know), then why would anyone with a super-expensive CD player be interested in the Premium2? Plus with all of the music that is sold “digitally” nowadays, and with audiophile equipment brands like Linn producing FLAC players with the same DACs as their $1000+ CD players… Plextor probably knows that their CD-burning days are numbered.

The Premium2 is the last of the real Plextor drives. Once that’s gone, all you are paying for is the brand name, and this subforum won’t look much different than people preaching about how great a CRT display still is.

[QUOTE=Glathannus;2198075]I was watching Plextor Japan’s online shop very closely. [/QUOTE]

I’ve kept a bit of a watch too and what you describe is pretty standard behaviour, except the time between re-stocking seems to vary.

[QUOTE=Glathannus;2198075]I figure that Plextor is going to stop production of the Premium2 sooner or later, and when they do - there won’t later be a Premium3.[/QUOTE]

The sole reason for the Premium2 was EUs ROHS directive. They couldn’t continue produce and sell the old Premium because of some substances that were considered harmful and were banned by that directive.

[QUOTE=Glathannus;2198075]Audio CDs are a dying format … With all these new factory-pressed audio CDs being released with special mastering methods (Blu-Spec) or special materials … then why would anyone with a super-expensive CD player be interested in the Premium2? [/QUOTE]

Yes, the importance of the CD declines but it will still be with us in an non negligible manner for another two decades at least. As for why wanting a Premium2: Because no average person can afford to install a production line and produce Blu-Spec discs at home. The Premium2 is simply one of the best ways to handle CDs while staying affordable for almost everyone.

[QUOTE=Glathannus;2198075]The Premium2 is the last of the real Plextor drives. Once that’s gone, all you are paying for is the brand name, [/QUOTE]

That goes without saying. Guess why many people have stocked up on real Plextor drives? They want to bridge the gap ahead until we’re fully networked and 12cm optical discs have finally lost their use with something of the best that can handle CDs until that time comes.

I got mine from Singapore but they said they wont be getting any more stock in. It’s simply too expensive to keep stock.

Mine is 1.03 firmware for someone that asked.

[QUOTE=evo69;2193315]Where’d you get your premium? :slight_smile: I live in Asia too! :wink: :flower:[/QUOTE]

The distributor from Singapore that I talked to said the same thing, and only had a Premium and a few rebadged Plextor DVD units at hand. I won’t be buying a Plex anytime soon, saving up for better things. :wink:

Just to squash the theories about January 2008 beeing the latest production date…

…my European version(received Nov08) was made in June 2008, with hardware(!) version = 3
(TLA 0303)

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f43/plextor-premium-2-just-bought-but-what-did-i-actually-buy-255160/

Still for sale here(unknown TLA):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000H7IYL8/ref=s9_sims_c5_s1_p23_t1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1Q56NN9MTEG1HFCP38SS&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463374933&pf_rd_i=468294

That’s nice to know. Thanks or reporting it!

Could you give us the first 3 digits of the serial? I’d be interested to see if they kept the production rate up.

Serial: 509100…

That’s the start of the whole barcode. The serial no. of the drive is actually the next 6 digits of that code :slight_smile:

In my case (see posting #3 above) the barcode reads “509100216xxx” the serial being the “216xxx” part.

You can also see the serial in the drive info window of Plextools.

eeh… oh… :o

Right then : ‘225’

Thanks.