Just got a new dvr 116dblk, half drive buffer during burn?

i just got a 116d from new egg and it came with 1.8 fireware. i flashed it with 1.9 and everything went fine. the problem is that when i burn dvd+r dl i only get half drive buffer. burning at 2x and 4x its half buffer, its wont go to 6x at all. can anyone help me?

@ et2473,

Welcome to the Forum.

Perhaps it would be helpful if you provide the Name and Version Number of the particular Software Burning program you are using and the Media MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) (Example:TYG02) of the DVD+R DL Media you are using. To obtain the Media MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) (Example:TYG02) of the DVD+R DL Media you are using suggest using a utility software program similar to DVDInfo (http://www.dvdinfopro.com).

Also for the Pioneer DVR-116 Optical Drive to function and operate at its optimal performance requires (mandatory) the use of an Ultra DMA (80-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cable (http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable80-c.html) and operate in the Ultra DMA Mode 4 (only Ultra DMA Mode 4 – not any other Mode) (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/troubleshooting-enabling-checking-dma-windows-vista-xp-2000-me-9x-101616).

Regards,
bjkg

Welcome to the forum. Also Pioneer has a drive utility to tinker with the drives settings. Hope this link helps:

Click on the update tab in red.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Support/BusinessProducts/Blu-rayDisc+DVDWriters/DVDComputerWriters/ci.DVR-116D.Support?tab=B

i also have another burner which is a nec 3540, and that burners fine. im using xbox backup creator 2.7 using verbatim dl sinapore ones. the burns come out fine but its just the buffer being low and cant burn over 4x. i’ve tried imgburn and same, go from 80%-90% on the meter when it should be 100%.

Is your cable a 40 or 80 pin type?

80 and i checked its in udma4

and just tried unpluging the nec so the pioneer it only hooked up, and its still the same.

Boy this is a tough one, I own 6 of these bad boys… Never any problems you have described. What Nero version are you using?? Did you take a look at the Pioneer Utility software.

im in the middle of buring a dvd to test out unpluging the nec. im using xbox backup creator, but ive also tried imgburn and its the same.

i tried the utility thing and its still the same. what could it be?

[QUOTE=et2473;2241089]i just got a 116d from new egg and it came with 1.8 fireware. i flashed it with 1.9 and everything went fine. the problem is that when i burn dvd+r dl i only get half drive buffer. burning at 2x and 4x its half buffer, its wont go to 6x at all. can anyone help me?[/QUOTE]

What is the problem as long as the burn wents fine in the expected time?
The buffer info is only cosmetical…

the problem is that it cant burn over 4x. and even at 4x it fluctuates between like 60% to 80% drive buffer. when i try to burn at 6x, it just drops to 4x and hit 6x for maybe a sec and then drop back down. Like its forcing itself to burn at 6x but then drops to 4x. and when it does hit 6x the drive buffer goes all the way down to 0% and then drops to 4x. file buffer is 100% the whole time, the only thing is the drive buffer. i mean the drive is brand new, there shouldnt be any problems. if there is a problem with the drive and not my settings then i would like a exchange for a working one, i bought it on newegg.

@ et2473,

When Burning your DVDs with your Pioneer DVR-116 what is your Computer’s Physical Memory/Free Physical Memory/Memory In Use.

Am unaware of ‘XBox Backup Creator’ software program. Suggest posting an N e r o and/or ImgBurn Burning log when Burning your DVDs with your Pioneer DVR-116 so Forum Member can analyze the Burning Log(s).

Regards,
bjkg

Error - Disregard

I am having the same kind of problem. I have an Optiarc AD-7201A and the device buffer is always at 95 % with any burning software I use.

@ et2473

To add to my above #13 posting ->

When attempting Burning operations with your Pioneer DVR-116 Optical Drive have you ensured that ALL unnecessary Background Multitasking operations are Fully Curtailed?

Have you ensured that your Hard Drive is Fully Defragmented?

Do you have any “Drive Accessing” programs installed similar to Packet Writing software programs? Do you have any Virtual Drive software programs installed?

Perchance are you attempting to Burn data “On The Fly” to your Pioneer DVR-116 Optical Drive? Explain in detail exactly how you are attempting to Burn data to your Pioneer DVR-116 Optical Drive.

Do you have your Computer Hard Drive and your Pioneer DVR-116 Optical Drive installed on two different IDE Channels? Explain in detail exactly how you have your Primary and Secondary IDE Channels Configured.

Regards,
bjkg

i have a nec burner too that works fine, burns at all speeds no problem. its just the pioneer. the specs are pioneer dvr 116dblk with 1.9 firmware ide in dma 4 mode. its not burning on a fly, its burning off the hard drive. I have 2 hard drives, both does the same. There is no programs running in the background or using the hard drive. I have plenty of ram 4gb, im only using about 800mb i think. one hard drive is a sata connected directly to he mobo and the other is on a ide controller card. the burners are connected directly to the mobo. the pioneer is the master and the nec is the slave, both set on the jumpers and the cable.

i just burned a verbatim dvd+r dl mis set at 6x and when it burns the drive buffer is going around 80%-90% at 3.8x-4.0x it wont go to 6x and its barely staying at 4x jumping around. but with the nec it’ll burn fine and goto 6x.

The buffer level info is no real indication of problem yes or no…
Firmwares have bugs, softwares too, they also give back wrong values to burning softwares etc. etc.

I repeat, you compare apples with oranges…

i just burned a verbatim dvd+r dl mis set at 6x and when it burns the drive buffer is going around 80%-90% at 3.8x-4.0x it wont go to 6x and its barely staying at 4x jumping around. but with the nec it’ll burn fine and goto 6x.

@ et2473,

Suggest using Nero CD DVD Speed (http://www.cdspeed2000.com/files/NeroDiscSpeed_41140.zip) and perform a Transfer Rate Test (TRT) using your Pioneer DVR-116 and post the complete full TRT scan results so that Forum Member can analyze the TRT results. If unaware of how to perform a Nero CD DVD Speed Transfer Rate Test refer to the “CD-DVD Speed - A user guide” (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f96/cd-dvd-speed-user-guide-192563/#post1540628).

Also as previously requested in posting #13 provide an N e r o and/or ImgBurn Burning log when Burning your DVDs with your Pioneer DVR-116 so that Forum Member can analyze the Burning Log(s).

Until you actually post the Transfer Rate Test (TRT) scan results and an N e r o and/or ImgBurn Burning log(s) that Forum Member can actually see and analyze this pertinent information it is pure speculation as to what is actually occurring with your Pioneer DVR-116 Optical Drive.

Regards,
bjkg