Just did my first APU build

vbimport

talked my brother into updating the old computer. I went with the Gigabyte GA-A75-UD4H and the AMD A8-3850.

So far this APU is a beast installed Windows 7 Ultimate faster than I have seen before ( have yet to do a Sandy Bridge build) it is rated 6.6 on the windows experience index for the gaming video and I think 7.2 for the CPU test.

I had 8GB of RAM laying around from when I updated my i7 system turns out they were bad so I sent them back for new sticks, as for the HD and PSU I snatched them from the old PC.

My brother really only plays WoW and the old PC would blue screen and hang while shutting down sometimes. He is getting 50-70 fps while in a battleground on the default settings with vsync turned off

upgrade cost about $315 for the APU, motherboard and a new case

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-A75-UD4H
APU: AMD A8-3850
RAM: Kingston value 2x2GB, Mushkin 2x2GB
PSU: Corsair 430 watt PSU
HD: WD 500GB from the old PC
HD: Hitachi 2TB also from the old PC for storing TV shows
Case: COOLER MASTER Elite 430 RC-430-KWN1

Nice build! should last him a while.

That onboard video is pretty impressive too.

Yo-

I just finished the final stuff on my wifes ZT Systems A8-3850 from Costco.

Couple of things I noticed - the AMD heatsink/fan allowed the processor to run pretty hot - so I replaced it with a Thermaltake TR2-R1 ($15 shipped from Amazon).

I am using a Kingston V+100 96GB SSD for her OS and programs - with a WD caviar black 640GB as the D and E drives.

Overall - the computer is running like a striped@$$ ape - and for not too many $'s.

I will have to put coretemp on the new PC to see how hot it gets. I have a Rosewill RCX-Z1 on the old system I may end up taking that also since AM2/AM3 coolers will fit the FM1 bracket.