Just diagnosed with high blood pressure

Hi, I am 25 years old and my weight is 176 pounds. I was just diagnosed with high blood pressure and put on pressure pill. I was told to maintain a low sodium diet but I have no idea what is an ideal daily low sodium diet. Also, seems like just about everything out there has some form of salt but mainly what is an ideal low sodium diet like how many mg per day?

Forgive me if I find this really odd. Your first post to a CD/DVD based group is a medical question about low sodium diets? If you really care about your health then ask the doctor that diagnosed you with high blood pressure.

Greetings dinadil01!
You can do a search on google, on low sodium diets or reduced sodium diets. Or just ask your doctor. He or she can better tell you. Or have some low sodium diet charts on certain type of foods to eat. With low sodium.

Peace
Mr.Bill :slight_smile:

Welcome to the forum.
Avoid processed foods and fast foods generally. They contain way to much salt.
Food already has enough salt, there should be no need to add salt to any food. And if you must add salt, do this while cooking and use only a very small amount.

2 grams of salt per day is more than enough.
Most people eat about 10 grams of salt per day.

Salt is sodium chloride and it is often labelled on foods as either salt or sodium. These terms have different values and they cannot be interchanged without a conversion factor. To convert salt to sodium, divide by 2.5. To convert sodium to salt, multiply by 2.5.
For example
1g salt = 0.4g sodium
0.8g sodium = 2g salt

It is important to read labels carefully and watch out for foods with a high salt content.

You can find low salt recipes here

If you don’t keep your sodium/salt intake to a minumum your blood pressure will rise, your need for water (to balance the sodium in your body) will rise, you will get diabetes type 2 and your blood vessles will break because of the high pressure.

No biggie, unless it happens in the tiny blood vessels in your brain or heart…

[quote=dinadilo1;1930201]Hi, I am 25 years old and my weight is 176 pounds. I was just diagnosed with high blood pressure and put on pressure pill.[/quote] I think your high bloodpressure is a result of all the spam you have been posting on the Internet since yesterday, and you having aged 11 years in that same period could also be a contributing factor.

Proposed solution: Stop spamming. :cop:

Spam has lots of salt.:bigsmile:

Handy info Dee and Mr. B. :slight_smile:

I’m on a drug commonly used for high blood-pressure, but in my case my blood pressure is fine, and it was given to me for migraine. First time I ever heard of it being used for that before. :slight_smile:

A low-salt diet is something I always mean to follow for general good health, but I love salt on my food. :o

[QUOTE=DrageMester;1930451]I think your high bloodpressure is a result of all the spam you have been posting on the Internet since yesterday, and you having aged 11 years in that same period could also be a contributing factor.

Proposed solution: Stop spamming. :cop:[/QUOTE]

:bigsmile: the Mighty one has spoken :bow:

I’m surprised our very own imkidd57 hasn’t posted in here with his medical knowledge :wink:

Edit: actually, my mum’s boyfriend has high BP, and refuses to take anything for it. The low salt solutions offered and advice will be handy for me to pass on to him. So thanks guys, you’ve inadvertently helped me out. :wink:

[quote=Arachne;1930625]I’m surprised our very own [B]imkidd57[/B] hasn’t posted in here with his medical knowledge ;)[/quote]Yea sorry been busy with bird flu, norovirus, RSV and the other usual suspects of winter nasties. :wink:

[quote=Arachne;1930625] Edit: actually, my mum’s boyfriend has high BP, and refuses to take anything for it. The low salt solutions offered and advice will be handy for me to pass on to him. So thanks guys, you’ve inadvertently helped me out. ;)[/quote]Mr B pretty much encapsulated it, especially the misleading labelling by the food manufacturers. I’m by no means an expert in this area but would add that cutting your salt intake will reduce blood pressure over a matter of days (in contrast to other causes which are untreatable or require significant intervention).

Just to add something to Mr B’s advice: you don’t always need a blood vessel to break. Stretching the vessel wall will damage it and over time can provide a point for blood clots to form. And we all know what those can do.

[QUOTE=imkidd57;1930766]Yea sorry been busy with bird flu, norovirus, RSV and the other usual suspects of winter nasties. :wink:

Mr B pretty much encapsulated it, especially the misleading labelling by the food manufacturers. I’m by no means an expert in this area but would add that cutting your salt intake will reduce blood pressure over a matter of days (in contrast to other causes which are untreatable or require significant intervention).

Just to add something to Mr B’s advice: you don’t always need a blood vessel to break. Stretching the vessel wall will damage it and over time can provide a point for blood clots to form. And we all know what those can do.[/QUOTE]

Ouch! Busy day then :wink:

Thanks for the further info! After a further conversation with my mum (who does the cooking), and after she said she’s trying to kill him off with excess salt in the food (joking of course) :bigsmile:, she said he doesn’t put any salt on his food after cooking, so that’s something at least.

I’ll pass that last bit of info onto him definitely though, as I don’t think he’s considered that :wink:

[quote=Arachne;1930598]Handy info [B]Dee[/B] and [B]Mr. B[/B]. :slight_smile:

A low-salt diet is something I always mean to follow for general good health, but I love salt on my food. :o[/quote]

My mom once bought my Dad and Me our own Salt Cellers with our names on them :bow:
I even have take away salt in my car cubby hole case I kneed it on the run :o

My 1 or 2 ciggies I smoke a Day in not half as bad as all the salt I consume :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=diane7;1930774]
I even have take away salt in my car cubby hole case I kneed it on the run :o
[/QUOTE]

Hardcore Salt Fan! :eek: :bigsmile:

This is extremely confusing case, some moderators identified the poster as spam spreader therefore no need to take his post about his medical condition serious, while other moderators provide advice to a desperate poster how to deal with his medical condition. Which character of this poster should members to believe?

[QUOTE=TCAS;1931023]This is extremely confusing case, some moderators identified the poster as spam spreader therefore no need to take his post about his medical condition serious, while other moderators provide advice to a desperate poster how to deal with his medical condition. Which character of this poster should members to believe?[/QUOTE]

Myself and another member of the LR staff decided the thread should stay put, as helpful replies had already been given, and could be useful for another poster in future. :wink:

I know I certainly found the advice given helpful, on behalf of someone I know.

[QUOTE=TCAS;1931023]This is extremely confusing case, some moderators identified the poster as spam spreader therefore no need to take his post about his medical condition serious, while other moderators provide advice to a desperate poster how to deal with his medical condition. Which character of this poster should members to believe?[/QUOTE]

Wether it’s a spammer or not, the health information could be beneficial for everyone who reads this thread.

I think this is the first time something good came from a spammer. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=imkidd57;1930766]I’m by no means an expert in this area but would add that cutting your salt intake will reduce blood pressure over a matter of days (in contrast to other causes which are untreatable or require significant intervention).[/quote] Really? Just days?

Just to add something to Mr B’s advice: you don’t always need a blood vessel to break. Stretching the vessel wall will damage it and over time can provide a point for blood clots to form. And we all know what those can do.
:doh: How could i forget that one. Thanks for noticing! :bow:

[quote=Mr. Belvedere;1931180]Really? Just days?[/quote]If there is a sodium sensitive component to the high blood pressure then I think you would expect to see a fairly rapid response.

The reduction in BP diastolic is suggested to be only about 2mm Hg on average though, so the immediate benefit may not be noticeable in a case of multifactorial hypertension unless measured carefully. Doesn’t seem like much but should reduce the risks of subsequent cardiovascular events by about 15%.

Other diet components, exercise, smoking etc can also significant contributors to an overall hypertensive state.

Now you know why I stopped using salt in the fifth grade when I read that salt raises blood pressure. It took a couple of weeks of getting used to bland food, but then I began tasting the salt that natural in food. After a month, my taste buds were so acute, that I could taste every ingredient in everything that I ate. I never had the need to use condiments since then. So there!!!