Just can't delete exe files

i’m aware of how dumb this may sound but i just can’t delete the exe files i make.
for example i had a rar arhive that didn’t work so i thought i’d change the extension to exe, well, it still didn’t work but now i can’t delete it or even rename it.And i don’t mean changing it’s extension , i mean i can’t change a name.exe file to whatever.exe
this is just stupid…anyway, tried changing the extension to a txt file and got the same results
whenever i try to rename , delete or cut and paste exe files i get an error msg that sais the file might be in use but it isn’t… any ideas?

oh and when i try to scan the exe files either with norton or panda they both freeze and so does my pc…

do you have the priviledges to delete the file?

what do you mean priviledges?i created the exe files, i changed the extensionto exe…what priviledges?

Reboot, then delete the file from a command-prompt!
If that doesn`t work try rebooting into safe-mode. :slight_smile:

Solaris

i’d clear everything out of your task list that you dont absolutely need, and try to remove them again.

i already did the whole task removing thing but it didn’t work but thanx for the rebooting in safe mode idea …it worked…thanx again ihaaaaaa… you guys rule…although i would’ve eventualy thought about that too

Safemode is a good way to get rid of alot of things.

this is one of the best ways to remove files that windows says it cant delete because it is in use.

[quote=medicated;497624]i’m aware of how dumb this may sound but i just can’t delete the exe files i make.
for example i had a rar arhive that didn’t work so i thought i’d change the extension to exe, well, it still didn’t work but now i can’t delete it or even rename it.And i don’t mean changing it’s extension , i mean i can’t change a name.exe file to whatever.exe
this is just stupid…anyway, tried changing the extension to a txt file and got the same results
whenever i try to rename , delete or cut and paste exe files i get an error msg that sais the file might be in use but it isn’t… any ideas?[/quote]

This same problem is occuring with me aswell, thats how i stubbled upon this site.
The best way i’ve found to delete these files is to use “KillBox”. Just google it and it should pop right up.

[Use]

1. Open Killbox from the zip folder(no extraction needed)

2. Click the yellow folder icon in the window(same as “Browse…”), and navigate to the file you want to delete.

3. Then the followinf options should be selected.
    ·Standard File Kill
    ·End Explorer Shell Whille Killing File

4. Then click the red (X) button at the top and wait for it to kill.

This way is easier then having to completly reboot and run through safe mode.
Most people don’t even know the command to kill the file.