Just burned a 9 years old CD-R!

Well I just found some CD-Rs that I bought 9 years ago! Here’s the info about them:

Nero CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info
Basic Information
Disc type: : CD-R
Manufacturer: : Pioneer
MID : 97m27s33f
Write speeds: : 4 X - 8 X - 16 X
Capacity: : 74:50.01
: 657 MB
Extended Information
Usage : General
Disc Status : Closed
Raw Data
ATIP
0000 - E0 00 80 00 61 1B 21 00 4A 32 01 00 00 00 00 00 - …a.!.J2…
0010 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - …

To my surprise, I just burned one of these at 4X and the resulst was fantastic (especially for such an old media).
What really surprises me the most is that I could never achieve 98% with any media I can find nowadays here where I live (Brazil)… all I can find here are those cheap phtalo, and the best score I ever got was 97%!
Well I guess I should have bought more of this media 9 years ago! :iagree:

As good as new it seems :wink:

Ah… MIJ Pioneer media. They also made a few legendary DVD-R and DVD-RW discs…
drools
Were those Cyanine, Azo or Phthalocyanine?

Mmmmmmmm, very nice :clap: :iagree:

@kg_evilboy:The’re Cyanine, MIJ 74Min Pioneer… I’ll try to find a picture of it and post it here (I don’t have a digital camera to take a picture :doh: )

@CJ2: Well its actually much better than all Phtalo CD-Rs I have burned to date !

If I knew these discs were so good i wolud have bought 1000’s of them!!! :rolleyes:

Very nice :clap:

Michael

Thousands of CD-R’s would have cost a bundle 9 years ago if memory serves.

Yes, they certainly would’ve. I didn’t get into burning CDs until 1999 and they were still pretty expensive at that point.

Well thats true!
But you have to agree that they don’t make CD-Rs like they used to anymore!!! :bow:
I just found a Verbatim 24x AZO too that I might burn to see the results… it was bought in 2001.

Indeed! They might have cost an arm and a leg, but they were worth it!
At least TY and Mitsubishi still make discs which are the next to the discs from the old days.

9 years ago… yeah, memory is coming back.

I may have some KODAK CD-Rs lying around, not sure.

Hehe, the very first CDRs I used were Kodak. :wink:

Sweet Burn

That reminds me I have some old Memorex TY’s I dug up a while back, don’t know how
old they are but I will give them a test

That reminds me also. I have a 50 pack of PNY Black Diamond 16X CD-Rs that are 4-5 years old. :iagree:

I have some old PNY CD-Rs, those stupid things, the top layer would peel on them if you looked at them the wrong way. :Z Worked fine otherwise. These were silver-topped, probably about 16x. Never have paid attention to their media code, I may even have some unburned somewhere.

Never had that problem with them. I have about 100 or so CDs backed up on the Black Diamond ones. The only problem i had is that some players have a hard time reading them because of the black surface. :frowning: All my new stuff reads them just fine but back in the day it was a crap shoot. :doh:

Well unfortunatelly I coundn’t find any picture of this pioneer CD-R on the web, but anyway… its got a cyanine dye and gold reflective layer, just like some old KODAK CDs (BTW I also found 1 one of this, but haven’t burned it).
I just wish all CD-Rs currently available had that quality… i couln’t reproduce this result with a brand new Maxell Audio CD-R from TY! :sad:

Philips and Kodak here first because others were not available and then later hundreds of RICOHs. Great stuff.

Yeah, Kodak was all I could get back in those days as well. Some time after, I started to use Samsung and Memorex, which were surprisingly good back then, lasted quite awhile. Only recently did I ditch a couple of the Memorexes (Ritek-made, BTW).

To satisfy my own curiosity I just burned a 7 years old CD-R.

[B]Kodak Ultima Silver+Gold CD-R 12x[/B] 700MB (Eastman Kodak type 5)
Burned at [B]8x[/B] (highest supported speed) in my [B]NEC ND-4551A 1-X3[/B]

[ol]
[li]Disc Quality scan at 32x in NEC 4551
[/li][li]Disc Quality scan at 32x in BenQ 1655
[/li][li]Read Transfer test in BenQ 1655
[/li][/ol]

Not too shabby for 7 year old blank media.

This media is supposed to be very good for archiving, but it’s not good for handling because the reflective layer is the top layer (no lacquer as far as I can tell) and it’s very fragile.