Just bought the 411s one question

So I just bought the Black oem 411s from newegg, even though it has some issues right now from what its seems that I have been reading on the forums and others, but I do think they will be fixed by the firmware upgrades.

Now, my question is, I have been reading through threads and I am still confused on a couple things. Does the unofficial FSOB give me better -r media capabilities or what?

Second, I havent heard that much success from the -r media on the boards so I was loking at this media. Whatd do you guys think? I think I did read that most people thought that Ritek +r media works pretty well with the 411s or am I reading wrong and its the other way around? If I am totally wrong what do YOU 411s users use as far as media. I am kind of afraid to buy anything fearing I am doomed to make coasters.

Thanks for your time and help.

Confused new dvdr user.

I returned my 411s.
Had to many coasters.

It hasnt burned a single working dvd-r.
It does fine with dvd+ though

Even with the new firmware there are still problems as it seems.

If you realy want a 411s it would be wise to wait to see if the problems are going to be resolved.

I returned mine and got a nec 1300a in place, not a single coaster yet, even with cheap 1$ dvd-r media.

Hi section9 and welcome to the forums!

It’s still not totally clear, but FS07 appears to have an edge for over-all quality, although both 07 and 0B are producing very good burns on a range of media. The Prodisc and TY DVD-R discs are working just fine on the 411. Either firmware will give good results with them. Almost any DVD-/+RW disc will give good results, but Ricoh is excellent for +RW.
If I had to recommend one firmware, it would be FS07, but the differences are not completely clear. That’s the nature of firmware and media testing, nothing is ever completly certain.
Yes, the Ricoh DVD+R is working, but it’s also prone to much variation between batches, I suggest using the older 2.4x rated Ricoh, much more reliable.

Originally posted by section9
Second, I havent heard that much success from the -r media on the boards so I was loking at this media. Whatd do you guys think? I think I did read that most people thought that Ritek +r media works pretty well with the 411s or am I reading wrong and its the other way around? If I am totally wrong what do YOU 411s users use as far as media. I am kind of afraid to buy anything fearing I am doomed to make coasters.

I’ve used Ritek 4x DVD+R media all the time and it works perfectly, no coasters. Good Luck with your new drive!

i tried some verbatim 4x dvd-rs and they wouldnt burn faster than 2x. since then i burned about 30 memorex dvd-r’s at full speed. thats what i reccomment but i too have bee looking for newer cheaper media. i was interested in this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11163&item=2753847727 but i dont think it will burn at 4x.
good luck

When you factor in shipping the cost is $53. For only $7 more you can get 50 Memorex(two 25 spindles)at Amazon. Free shipping also.