Just bought RAM

vbimport

I have recently installed another 512mb RAM to upgrade to 1024mb RAM. I was wondering if there is anything I should do to make sure it is working properly. So far it is working ok, and the computer is reconising it… There was one incident when I was copying I cd with nero and doing summit with VirtualDub at the same time and a blue screen came up saying it was shutting down to protect any damage to my comp… it also said if i have installed any recent hardware I should make sure it is working properly but i think it was just a clash of running progs.

Thanks and let me know…

run something like prime or memtest to check if it is fauly.

Yup, better do some tests!

Also, make sure everything is set up correctly in your BIOS settings!

If you’re not running on automatic settings (e.g. memory timings), better change it to automatic and try again.

For memory testing use MemtestX86 and Prime95. See me signature for the links!

Automatic memory settings are often not very good at detecting proper settings so I suggest that you disable those and try to adjust the memory settings in bios.
Try with normal timings and cas at 2.5, if that doesn’t work try safe and cas 2.5. Memtest86 should give you no errors during the tests if both sticks works properly.
//Danne

I can’t seem to fins the settings 4 my RAM in BIOS, could ya tell me where they are? Also I know my RAM (PC2700) is 2.5 cas.

Thanks 4 ur help :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Which Bios do u have? Award, Phoenix?

Originally posted by DiiZzY
Automatic memory settings are often not very good at detecting proper settings so I suggest that you disable those and try to adjust the memory settings in bios.

Is that so? Never knew that… all systems I ever installed with standard config (must be over 500 systems) have been running on automatic memory timings ever since… even on the most crappiest memories I never had any problems with reading the SPD…

Guess I must be one hell of a lucky boy :slight_smile:

Which Bios do u have? Award, Phoenix?

Award, i think

@ Dee-ehn
That is when you mix different sticks especially when they have different specifications such as CAS2 and CAS3, PC2100 and PC2700 etc.
//Danne

Originally posted by DiiZzY
@ Dee-ehn
That is when you mix different sticks especially when they have different specifications such as CAS2 and CAS3, PC2100 and PC2700 etc.
//Danne

Ah ok I get your point. Yes this happens sometimes, although BIOS’ should set the timings to the slowest memory strip…

:wink: agree…

Your bios will always set it to the slowest ram speed. That is why it’s a waste of time getting different speeds unless one is manually overclockable.

In the phoenix bios, it is in advanced settings.