Just bought memorex 8x burner, rebadged?

vbimport

Just bought memorex 8x burner online from compUSA for 138$ AR including tax.

I have read that this is a rebadged plexor, pioneer 107, or even liteon 811s.

The specs are dead-on with the plexor 708. Geat deal if so.

My concern is that it is the 811s. I got a 411s a coupla months ago and returned it out of frustration. I just want a burner that will work, reliably, with most media! I have no interest in “tinkering” except to occasionally update the firmware.

Any thoughts?

It may be the Pioneer 107, if it’s an 8x8, I think you’ll find that the speeds match. If it’s an 8x4, then Pioneer 106 is the best bet. But isn’t it a bit late to ask after you already buy it?

8x4 would be LDW-811S, 4x4 would be DVR-106D

I figured I would go straight to the source, so I sent memorex tech support an email and got this return:

I am sorry but the information is company information and can not be
released.

Terry Schmidt
Technical Support
Memorex Products, Inc.
United States

product: 8x4x4x12 Dual Format DVD Recorder DVD+/-R+/-RW Drive model
number: Mfg Part #: 32023237

I have 2 weeks from purchase to return this drive to my local compusa for a refund. I only intend to keep it if it is the pioneer or plexor. I have to pay a 15% restock fee if the box is opened, so I am hoping to get an answer first.

If none is forthcoming, how would I find out the original make once I put it in my box?

Memorex is going to have two different models of 8X burners on the market. One of them is already on store shelves. I’ve seen it on CompUSA web site. This model is 8X “dual FORMAT”, as it is writen on the box. This one is a Lite-On 811.

The second model, which is not out yet, is to be called “True 8X Dual”. This one is going to be rebadged Pioneer A07, and thus the term “True 8X” because is does it with both + & - media.

I bought the “dual format” box, so I guess its the 81s, and going back to the store!

The second model, which is not out yet, is to be called “True 8X Dual”. This one is going to be rebadged Pioneer A07, and thus the term “True 8X” because is does it with both + & - media.

already available at Best Buy, saw one this week

Look at the specs on the box or even better, in dvdinfopro. Match up what is supported with what those other burners support.

A good way to tell is max cdr/rw write speed, and seek time.

Liteon to also have been making True 8X DVD Dual Drive for a while now. Plus they have their version built as the SOHW-812S. So at the end of the day it may well be a Liteon. One won’t know until you open the box.

Cancelled Order, getting NEC 2500

I bought the 411s based on reviews here, and was sorely disappointed. Won’t go with another liteon of any kind.

I hope I’m not likewise disappointed by the NEC 2500. . .

I bought it OEM from newegg for 116$ with the Roxio software. For $5 less, you can get the drive sans software. Free shipping either way.

I thought about the ND-2500 also but decided to go with the TDK rebadged Plextor. I hope I made the right decision.

There seems to be tons of threads on the NEC problems which is making me second guess it.