Just bought BenQ 1620, new to dvd burning

vbimport

Ok, firstly, as you can see, I’m new here though I have been lurking on and off for a little while. So hello everyone, please take it easy on me :iagree: Also, I’m from Aus, so we’re slighly behind the technical 8-ball so give me a moment to catch up :wink:

Now, with that out of the way, I just bought a BenQ 1620 Pro. Mainly to backup movies and data. So I’d be using +r’s and the ROM feature. (even though I’m not sure how this works exactly. Do I select it in nero for example? Or does the firmware know to burn all my dvds as ROMs?)

Currently I’ve only burt 1 cd. It was to backup a .avi movie file. I burnt it at 40x and asked nero to check the file integrity when it was finished. Unforunately it said it wasn’t exactly the same. I assumed this was normal for 40x and I should use something like 24x for stability? Thought I’d better double check here however :slight_smile:

Basically I just want it to burn great quality backups, so for example, if getting a speedpatch or something would make it riskier to get these results I wouldn’t bother. Is there any real difference between firmwares and how do I tell which one I’m using?

I always see graphs posted around here, I’m still not sure about them, are they just used to check the quality of the dvds we’re burning? And everyone seems to always talk about Taiyo Yuden dvds, I presume I should hunt some down and use them?

Boy that was alot of questions, I know someone will probably tell me that I should have searched for the answers, and I have, anything that I’ve found doesn’t talk about specifics or is too advanced for me to understand, so I’m sorry, but thanks for baring with me as I learn the ropes :slight_smile:

Welcome. :slight_smile:

You picked a good burner. There are a few really good ones, but the DW1620a is right there. I have a pair of them.

Why your burn was bad depends. You could be using crappy media. (What brand is your disc? Who made it? Often they aren’t the same company.) Generally you will get better results at less than maximum speed - 24x is a good compromise on CD. I burn most of my DVDs at 8x on the 1620, 4x on 8x burners.

Taiyo Yuden media is among the best available. It is not that expensive. Most made-in-Japan media is Taiyo Yuden (much of the rest is Mitsubishi Chemical Company, which is just as good). I get noticeably better burns on TY media than on other brands, but MCC is right behind and I’ve gotten good burns on media from other companies, although I’ve also gotten some bad ones.

Nero will let you do the bitsetting.

A little bit more on the dvd side. Your burner will not burn a dvd-rom. Dvd-rom are only pressed disks. It will allow you to bitset though. Bitsetting (changing book type) causes +r disks that you have burned, to falsly identify themselves as a dvd-rom. It doesn’t actually make it a dvd-rom, it just makes it identify itself to the player as a dvd-rom, which greatlly improves compatibility, especially with older players and some play stations. Nero should be able to make your drive bitset, or, with the retail version of the 1620 at least, it has a bitsetting tool that will make your drive bitset.
With cd, I think many people like 32x burning, even on 48x media, but personally, I don’t burn many cd’s. Slower speeds can improve burning with cd’s.
Dvd is completlly diffrent. It is usally best to burn at the rated speed. Slower burning will not nesasarilly improve your burn, in fact it can burn worse at slower speeds. As far as burning faster, sometimes it burns worse, sometimes it burns about the same, sometimes it burns beter. It depends on the particular media and the firmware and yes, firmware is very important. Diffrent firmwares can have a profound effect on how well a particular media burns and or how well they oversppeed. thier are at least a handfull of good medias that burn very well at faster than thier rated speed, with the right firmware.
As far as the graphs, yes they are to check how well the disk burned, and yes your drive can do it using the program cdspeed. You may have to update your firmware to get it to run properlly. I don’t have a 1620, but maybe someone else can recomend the best firmware to you. Since the 1620’s have had a bit of an issue with defective drives (though they are great burners if you gett a good one), I would sugest updating to official firmware for a little while before considering hacked firmware, just to make sure your drive is working well (hacked firmwares can be good but void your waranty).
About media, stop thinking about brands and start thinking about media codes. Media codes are contained on all dvd media and identify the true manufacture of the disk. Use this free program to read the media code off any disks you may have
http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/
Since you mentioned taiyo yuden, be aware that thier is a lot of fake ty out thier. If the media is very cheap and is an off brand name, it very liklly may be fake ty so avoide it. You can find out what medias are good here in the media forum or on the benq forum. the bargain basment is also a good place to find out about media (I think that thier are some specific media threads about what is avalable in your part of the world thier). you can find out what media codes certain brands are liklly to be here
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia
I hope that wasn’t too confusing, but if you ask a lot of questions, you might get a lot of answers, lol!!!

Thanks for the responses.

The CDRs that i’m using are Verbatim 48x. P/N: 41819. With this number on the cd itself: 4330E0322 xxxxxx 07. Where the xxxxxx changes with each cd.

If you want more detailed information about your disk you can also:

Open Nero => Test Drive => Extra => Disk Info

This will give you more info about the disk media code and manufacturer.

Or download dvdinfopro from:
http://www.dvdinfopro.com/
where you can identify both cd and dvd media codes.

or as ripit suggests
http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

both are freeware, and are good media identifying software.

I must be silly, but I can’t find Test Drive in nero. Its not in the start menu, or any of the buttons or menu’s once nero is running, any suggestions?

Also, I burnt another 3 cds, using nero to checking the file integrity of each one. Using speeds 24, 12 and lastly 8x. The only one that got 100% file integrity was using the 8x speed.

This concerns me a little as I thought Verbatim were a good manufacturer. So would it be the drive/firmware (B7S9)? or the CDRs?

Ok, I just tried my first DVD backup. It seems to have been a success.

I however can’t tell if this bitsetting was used. I used nero 6.3.0.2 and couldn’t see an option to use it. Or does it just do it automatically? (I burnt an iso image if that makes a difference)

Also, in nero express i was able to burn at 4x or 8x, but in burning rom I could only burn 2.4x or max speed. Shouldnt I be able to burn up to 16x?

Any help?

Gudgee:
Try
Open Nero => Nero Tool Kit => Nero CD / DVD Speed => Extra => DVD Info

Hope this helps.

haha, awesome, i’m clearly retarded not to find that. Thanks again :wink:

I came up with this info about the cd:

Manufacturer : Prodisc
Code : 97m32s19f
Disc Type : CD-R
Usage : General
Recording Layer : Dye Type 9: Short Strategy (Phthalocyanine)
Recording Speed : n/a
Capacity : 79:59.71
703 MB
Additional Capacity : n/a
Overburn Capacity : not tested

And here are a couple of tests of that Verbatim CDR that I did using that nero program :slight_smile: (or Prodisc as it says up there)

OK, i finally found these tools. I checked the BenQ ‘Book Type Management’ information. It said “If you use Nero v5.5.10.50 or newer version to burn to your DVD media, the book type change to the drive will become invalid. Please refer to the FAQ on the installation disc for further details.”

So I looked through the FAQ and from what I can tell, the only place it says you can select this feature is when burning with nero express, there is an option box to select that’ll burn the media as DVD-ROM.

This is a little concerning, because I barely use Nero Express, AND when burning an iso, it gives barely ANY options!?

HOWEVER, after burning an iso image just before, it seems that my media has been burnt using the bitsetting. I wonder if this will always be the case, or just for iso burning? Anyone have any ideas or help?

Also, what if i were to use DVD decrypter to burn the dvd, would it automatically use the current bitsetting and have dvd-rom output?

As this image shows, my drive is set to DVD-ROM not DVD+R, and the resulting dvd:

You can use dvd identifier to tell if it is susesfully bitsetting after a burn. It should say disk type dvd+r, book type dvd-rom if it did sucessfully bitset.

ah yes, it does too. I think.

the Disc and Booktype line I presume. :slight_smile:

also, shouldn’t my dvdrw be able to go to 16x, not just 8x?

Gudgee,

No, dvdrw will be slower than dvd-r or dvd+r. (Same for cd rw).
I’m not in front of my machine, but think the 1620 rw speed is between 4x and 6x. This is a function of the firmware you have on your drive.

Also note that dvd+/-rw media is not as good as cd-rw, and therefore recommend if you use dvd rw you make multiple backups of data. Most people recommend the old rotating backup workflow. Backup to one disk, when it’s time for second backup write to another, third backup to another, fourth backup to first disk. This way if one disk has a problem you haven’t lost much data.

It all boils down to quality media again. If you use good media you will have less problems.

Sorry, I know I wrote dvdrw, I meant my drive.

As you can see in the picture, it says speeds of 2.4x, 4x and 8x, and this is for dvd+r media.

The speed of your drive is dependent on:

1. Your drive
  2. The media you are using
  3. The firmware on your drive.

Some firmware will let you write at speeds faster and sometimes slower than the disks are rated.

For example on my 1620 BenQ, TY media code disks that are labeled 8X can be written up to 16X (because it is good media), other crappy disks labeled at 4X my firmware will only enable me to write at 2X (AML DVD-R 4x).

Usually if my drive will write to a disc faster than the manufacturer suggest, then I’ll usually write a test disk, followed by a Quality Scan. If the QS is good, then I will write at the speed the drive will do it at.

In addition, there is software out there that will enable you to read and edit what your firmware has coded in it.

Check out this link
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=124905&highlight=MediaCode

Hi :slight_smile:
The speed in this case is being dictated by the media
A lot of CMC Mag media around is only 8x ( although on some drives it can go to 12x ) With tweaking you may get higher speeds
Otherwise try different media MCC or TY

Thanks for the help guys :slight_smile:

Just quickly, those cd scans up there, do they look normal? Is there anything concerning, or good about them?