Just bought a DVD burner, what drive do I replace?

I just bought the Pioneer A07-XLA and want to know what existing drive I should replace on my current computer. I have a DVD drive (non-burning) and a CD-R drive. When you make back-ups of movies, do you burn to the hard drive and then to DVD+R or does it read from one drive to the other. Should I leave the DVD drive I have in it now and add the DVD burner or leave the CD burner in there and add the DVD burner? I’m brand new to all of this so excuse my ignorance. What are firmware upgrades and should I worry about that with my new drive? Thanks.

Decision would be easier if you tell us the exact models of your other drives.

The DVD is a NEC DV-5800A and the CD-R is a Sony CRX 160E. They were both standard on my Dell Computer.

Q: When you make back-ups of movies, do you burn to the hard drive and then to DVD or does it read from one drive to the other.
Ans: Because the movies are usually CSS encrypted and some are too large to fit on a DVD-5. The movie is usually backed-up in a modified form from the original an therefore must be copied to the hard drive first. It is almost never practical or advisable to copy from DVD drive to DVD drive, i.e. “on the fly.”

Should I leave the DVD drive I have in it now and add the DVD burner or leave the CD burner in there and add the DVD burner?
Ans: This is a personal choice. If the DVD writer writes CDs to your satisfaction then keep the DVD reader as the read speed on a DVD writer is usually limited to 2X for reading movies, even if it will write them at 8X. If you need to use the CD writer to backup copy protected disc, then it may be to your advantage to keep the CD writer, your choice.

Q: What are firmware upgrades and should I worry about that with my new drive?
Ans: Firmware is the internal software program in the DVD writer which enables it to understand and write DVDs, a firmware upgrade is simply an upgrade to that program. Yes you need to be aware of new firmware upgrades, because of the rapid development time on DVD writers it’s sometimes very advantageous to upgrade your firmware.

If you burn more movies, keep the dvdrom drive, if you plan to do more music, keep the cdrw. good luck with your new purchase.

I also got the A07XLA and it’s not limited to 2x when reading/ripping CSS encrypted discs.
I would drop the DVD drive.