Just another TS-H552B problem

Hey everyone,

Back in the day, when I did not know or care much about the specifics of DVD burning, I read the reviews on NewEgg and decided to get a TS-H522B.

Needless to say, I’ve recently had some problems with it. I tried to burn some videos (actually a rough copy of a program for a client) and found that all but one of the five copies were crap. After reading some reviews of my drive and quite a bit of the “official thread,” I upgraded my firmware from TS04 to TS11.

After this, the disks I burned seemed fine at first, but after giving them to my client, who could not play them, I checked them again and discovered that my drive now caught some unreadable sectors – sometimes.

One of the more remarkable things about the disks is that there is a change in the color of the burned areas in some spots. Not the changes typical of variable-speed burning, mind you, but the color actually fades in and out gradually and unsymmetricly. Though barely noticable at first (the firmware upgrade also improved, but didn’t eliminate this), this seems rather peculiar. The disks are good quality Sony ones, too, although I know that the compatibility of this drive is sketchy at best.

So, does anyone have any suggestions, or do I simply need to get a new drive?

Some more things to note: I have heard of a TS12 firmware version, but I don’t know how to get it. Also, I did commit a disk-burning no-no in browsing the web while burning some of these (just to see if it would come out alright), but I imagine this would have more file corruption implications than actual physical burn quality – or am I wrong?

Thanks, everybody.

You can get ts12 from
http://www.samsungodd.com/eng/Firmware/FWDownload/FWDownload.asp?FunctionValue=view&no=430&SearchWord=&SearchMode=&PageNumber=1&product_code=SDR&os_no=

About the fade outs, try changing the power supply cable that is connected to your drive with an other from your psu. It might help if it’s caused by power supply problems.

If it’s crucial for your job to have a reliable recorder, I would suggest buying a new one as they cost less than 35€ now. It worths it just to avoid the stress :slight_smile:

Good luck.

Thanks for the link. I’ll see if the new firmware helps at all, and I’ll try changing the cables, too. It seemed to me like something that could be related to the power, except that I do know I have a good brand of power supply (FSP/Forton Source) – I at least researched [I]that[/I] before I bought it. :stuck_out_tongue: Anyway, we’ll see what that does.

Yeah, I probably will get a better drive eventually. Mostly, though, I needed to know if there was anything I could do to get what I need now.

Thanks again for your help.