Just another newbie

vbimport

Hi,
Another forum, another password.
Oh, well, here goes. Just after some help interpreting the KProbe graph that I have attached.
The disc plays okay in my PS2 but my Samsung standalone won’t load it.
I’m using Princo -R 4x A grade blanks which I know work with the player because I burned some successfully in the past with my previous LG GSA4040B drive before it died.
Took a gamble on the LiteOn 451s after reading a few posts and I hope that I have done the right thing?
Meant to ad, I did this burn with the previous GSB6 firmware before updating this morning.

Media Information                            

Disc Regions are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Media code/Manufacturer ID PRINCO
Format Type UDF 1.02
Volume Name AU_109956
Application id LBY CLONEDVD
Implementation id Stefan ID
Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy) 2/16/2004 0:11:37
Format Capacity 4.25GB(4.56GB)
Book Type DVD-R
Media Type DVD-R
Media Id Code Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.0x 2770KBps
Write Strategy Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
2x Speed OPC beta 0B
2x Speed OPC power 0F
2x Write Strategy field 1 12 87 77 80
2x Write Strategy field 2 88 80 00 00 00 00
4x Speed OPC beta 01
4x Speed OPC power 1B
4x Write Strategy field 1 0D 10 0D 08
4x Write Strategy field 2 99 0A 11 0D
4x Write Strategy field 3 00 00 00 00
4x Speed OPC beta multi-pulse 05
4x Speed OPC power multi-pulse 1D
4x Write Strategy field 4 1D 86 66 85
4x Write Strategy field 5 99 BD 88 80 00 00
4x Write Strategy field 6 00 00 D0 00 00
Data area starting sector 30000h
Data area end sector 21F7EFh
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1

00 6C 00 00 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 52 00 02 97 0E 0B .l…@…R…
77 88 70 00 03 50 52 49 4E 43 4F 00 04 00 00 00 w.p…PRINCO…
00 00 00 00 05 AA A2 22 22 20 01 00 06 0B 0F 12 …"" …

Welcome ‘Revhead’

Nice post for a newbie. :slight_smile:

You will find compatibility list for Samsung DVD standalones here.

Princos are in general “bad” media.
Try some DVD+Rs and the bitsetting tool

:cool:

Come on guys, can’t anyone tell me what’s going on here.
I tried ripping the same movie with the Samsung and new GSB7 firmware, but apart from burning at 2x instead of 4x I got a disc that will also play in the PS2 but not the standalone.
Same thing ripping it with the 451s and new firmware.
I know this media works in the standalone because I did a couple with the 4040b before it died.
I also burned a whole stack of 25 with a friend’s Sony and they also work flawlessly.
I’m starting to think I’ve bought a dud with the 451s?

Never use Princo-Media with any LiteOn DVD-(Re-)Writer !
Ritec, Richo, MCC and TY is the Type of Media that LiteOn likes.

By a NEC2500A to Burn Princo and other cheap Media.

Greeeeeeeeeeetz

There’s nothing wrong with that scan, so the LiteOn did it’s job. The fact that it plays in a PS2 should be proof enough of that.

Princo is known to be highly inconsistent from batch to batch and disc to disc. Samsung players are among the most finicky when it comes to media.

Dabebe has given you good advice on media, and pinto2 has shown you where to find the bitsetting tool that has helped others in your situation.

Good luck with it. The 451S is a good burner once you solve the media equation.

Hi!

If I remember correctly, rdgrimes stated in one post, that readability in standalone players is a general problem with LiteOn DVD writers - despite of good Kprobe scans. In addition, many users reported problems to read back their recorded discs on standalone players. Especially DVD-R are concerned.

Firmware HS0E is supposed to be the best for DVD- recordings. But don’t expect too much. If it does not help, I would go for a Pioneer 107D which does not have such compatibility issues. On the other hand, this drive does not support bitsetting - and probably never will support it.

Sorry, I forgot that you have a 451s. HS0E does not work on this drive, of course.

Originally posted by easy-going-man
…Firmware HS0E is supposed to be the best for DVD- recordings. But don’t expect too much. If it does not help, I would go for a Pioneer 107D which does not have such compatibility issues. On the other hand, this drive does not support bitsetting - and probably never will support it.

HS0E is a 811 FW.! Here we have a guy with 451S:cool:

And your comments about Pioneer 107D…, we will see. :slight_smile:

I don’t recall rdgrimes saying that, and I have had no problems on my two standalones, my son’s two standalones, or those of the half-dozen or so friends and relatives I loan discs to. Good media in, good results out, and that includes -R and +R.

Buying an expensive burner in hopes of making a picky inexpensive player work better with bad media seems like false economy to me.

P.S., HSOE won’t work on Revhead’s 451S.

(P.S. to the P.S., You can’t waste much time composing a reply around here or people will beat you to the punch.)

:wink:

I hear what you’re saying but . . .

If the 451s is such a good burner and by accounts my Samsung standalone combo V80 so picky then some questions remain:

1. If the Samsung is so picky then why is it able to read the same Princos burned in other “lesser” drives.

2. If the the 451s is so hot then why can’t it produce discs that are readable when the LG 4040B and Sony 510AK are able to?

Sure I can try other more expensive media and I probably will -but why should it be necessary?

I have bought the LiteOn on Nov/2003 (130€) because it was the cheapest 4x-Bruner with best burnresult (in the comparison to btc1004 an others). Further because the fast CD-R Preformance (40X).
In many Tests of the LiteOn-DVD-Bruners (411s 811s) they all talk about to use good Media for good Results and use the Cheap one for Coasters.
http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/127/9

Greeeeeeeeeeeetz

Again, good point. But it doesn’t answer the questions I have posed?

The answer is simple. If you want to use cheap media on a picky standalone player, you should buy another writer. I do not know the exact reason why LiteOn drives have these problems. But it is a common problem for many users.

BTW, I already said that HS0E is not for 451S drives and said sorry. There is no need to repeat it twice.