Just an idea... ? or a challenge

Dear firmware moders , mostly Liggy and Dee , but wouldn’t mind TDB or Herrie… or anyone that could do it…
Don’t know if it’s possible or not but i generally beleive that if you can think it , it can be done …
Here is the case … nec 4551 is able to LF fine or fare it depends on the point of view … the tecnology comes from yamaha from what i 've been reading and was implemended in the past on cds…
Is it so difficult to enable labelflash for 4551 on cds also ?

I think not , maybe you dear friends/pathcers can do it .Also beleive that you could make as 4551 owners happier , not only me …
Don’t like at all the nero warning about unsupported media …

P.S. I think that there won’t be any complication cause it’s gone be just a f/w update and not a crossflash…

I have no idea if that’s technically possible at all. But IF it is, only NEC will probably be able to do this I guess.

So we just have to wait for an official update… or a nero update if i understand you correctly…

Does anyone know the s/ware yamaha used for “labelflashing” cds ?

Labelflash is a DVD technology, DiscT@2 is for CD media. Probably also a licensing involved problem…

You did NOT understand me correctly. You probably have to wait forever…

Liggy is right when says that “You probably have to wait forever…” and only NEC can do it.
And you risk also to be right when you say it could be easier than we may think.

At the end this is said to be a DVD technologie just because marketing people may think that there is no money to be made in the CD segment of the market, considering the discs are more expensive and people are used to CD at very very low prices.

Obviously that this can apply to writing to the “printable” side not the data side.
But there no discs out there, not even announced…so talking about LF for CDs can be done just at a theoretical exercise.

When we consider the data side, neither the strucutre of a DVD is the same as the one of a CD, nor the amount of data both can support - the size of the discs being the same, the checking procedure has to be dif, so NEC didn’t bother about CDs - because if they wanted to write to the data side of a CD, the name would be Disc T@2 from Yamaha. And here comes chef’s ref to licensing and added costs.

You did NOT understand me correctly. You probably have to wait forever...

Beleive i finaly got it…Seems practicly inapplicable…
i only wanted to “play” with my free cd space…

Licensing and copyright are complicated theese days… allowing just narrow paths to update …prefered the old days…better