Just a thought

vbimport

I’m posting this expecting to get a pasting for it from someone.
Firstly a big thanks to the guys responsible for the Windows 8 start menu, brilliant work!
This is the thought that crossed my mind that will probably cause the trouble. (Maybe?)
M$ are hoping to sell Windows 8 in vast quantities on their own terms, i.e. no start menu. I can only guess the reason for this as most seem to want it kept.
If someone produces an add on to give 8 the start menu we would like, wouldn’t this help M$ to sell loads more copies because of this. As I said, just a thought. If anyone knows why M$ don’t want the start menu, please let me know.
As others have said, I use a desktop, I have no use for a tablet, or a smartphone, so 8 ain’t for me either.

One reason Microsoft might be slightly antagonistic to add-on start menus is their desire to move everyone to a more integrated user interface across various types of hardware. This will be [B]one[/B] interface that will be familiar to anyone using a tablet, phone or computer running the Windows operating systems.

Another reason is Microsoft hopes to control and profit from the apps that are used in Metro. The Wikipedia entry that is relevant says the Metro apps will only be available through the Windows Store, and Microsoft will take a 30% cut on any commercial products. There will be free apps as well, but they will have to pass inspection from Microsoft for security flaws and malware.

Thanks Kerry56, that makes sense. A more integrated user interface across various types of hardware, OK I can see that, but surly desktops would need a touch screen monitor to make it truly universal. (Expensive?) As for M$ wanting to control and profit from something is just business, nothing new there, but I think they may have got it wrong. It’s a bit like DRM, the more there is the less consumers buy. I suppose someday the super corporations will realise this and give users what they want, or at least a choice.

I’m not being a Luddite about tablets or smartphones, they look great, but not everyone is physically able to use them properly.

[QUOTE=voxsmart;2642159]but surly desktops would need a touch screen monitor to make it truly universal. (Expensive?) [/QUOTE]

Not many models to select from yet. I’ve seen one 22" that was around 10-15% more expensive than a regular flat one.

[QUOTE=voxsmart;2642147]If someone produces an add on to give 8 the start menu we would like, wouldn’t this help M$ to sell loads more copies because of this.[/QUOTE]
I think most of Microsoft’s Windows licenses come bundled with new PCs and only few licenses are retail or site-builder licenses. While I don’t have figures, I guess that probably 80 to 90 percent of all Windows licenses are bundled with new PCs.

[QUOTE=Gummigutta;2642161]Not many models to select from yet. I’ve seen one 22" that was around 10-15% more expensive than a regular flat one.[/QUOTE]

TBH I don’t want a touchscreen monitor at all.

I spend all my time trying to keep fingerprints off my screen rather than deliberately encouraging to them. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Liggy posted the real problem, of course, new machines will have Windows 8 pre installed. Again, no choice, unless a copy of 7 is bought and installed with it. One of my wife’s laptops with Vista came with a “downgrade” (sic) disc to XP if required, I can’t see a choice of Windows 7 being provided now. That makes the Power8 solution all the more important. for desktops and those of us that don’t want, cant use or dislike Metro
Well done again Guys for the effort of coding a stand alone solution.

This whole thing with M$ could be very annoying if you let it! I could be wrong, but I can see another ME/Vista saga happening here. One OS for all? perhaps, but I can’t really see it working that well over all of the platforms. There’s also OS6, OSX, (Apple could do well out of this) Android and a few others to contend with.
Please feel free to put me right on anything I may have misunderstood.