Just a thought

vbimport

Most copy protection mechanisms involve decrypting the digital stream of data coming off the DVD, and with the demise of DVD Decryptor this may become increasingly difficult to make a backup of your own legal discs. When HD DVD / Blu Ray comes out, I’m sure it will be even more difficult.

I’m not sure if anyone has thought of an alternative:

1. Write a filter ffdshow-like filter that instead of massaging the image actually outputs an equivialent video image data to disk in realtime. The de-encryption is already done by the DVD drive / media player and this could be stored as unprotocted video on the hard drive.

I’m no expert, but I guess ffdshow actually decodes the data itself. So instead of that isn’t there a way to intercept calls to the video driver and capture the bitmaps written to the display card to disk as well ?

1. A hardware device that plugs into the DVI-out port and captures the digital image back into the PC writing to hard disc an unprotected video file.

I’m sure this has been thought of before, but I havent seen any applications do this. What’s the catch ? I suppose speed, but it would be better than nonthing.

Sandy.

Disclaimer: I for one dont condone piracy…every video / music file on my PC is a legal copy of media I have bought, but I don’t see why I should be prevented of making a copy of something I already own.

When and if Protections Become too much,(which I doubt) my backup plan is to buy a Decent HDTV Capture Card, and run it to my DVD Player. Simple, slow but I’m sure it will be effective.:slight_smile:

DVD Decryptor is far from the Only Option Available, a sad ending, but maybe a great foundation to work from.