Just a note

My Plex 716 reads/burns fine.But I am always reading these forums for info!After reading many posts on “transfer problems”.I found this on the net.Maybe some help to you who are having “unknown” slow transfers!!Sorry if this is the wrong forum!!

Starforce

Starforce has received criticism for installing its own device driver onto computers. The Starforce drivers are often linked to system instability and computer crashes. If these problems occur, the end-user would be unware as to the cause of the problem, and would be helpless to solve the problem.

For example, here’s one of the common problems brought by Starforce: under Windows XP, if packets are lost during the reading or writing of a disk, XP interprets this as an error and steps the IDE speed down. Eventually it will revert to 16bit compatibility mode rendering a CD/DVD writer virtually unusable. In some circumstances certain drives cannot cope with this mode and it results in physical hardware failure (Most commonly in multiformat CD/DVD writer drives). A sure sign of this step down occurring is that the burn speeds will get slower and slower (no matter what speed you select to burn at). Starforce, on a regular basis, triggers this silent step down. Until it reaches the latter stages most people do not even realise it is happening.

Update: It has been reported by many users that the slowdown caused by StarForce on some recent multiformat DVD writers can cause irreversible hardware failures on those drives (they aren’t recognized anymore), as they aren’t supposed to write at slow speeds.

There is a list of games that are connected to this software at the link!

http://www.glop.org/starforce/#detect

Hope this may help someone!!

Good Luck! Voodoo

UPDATE Just checked my machine, and I have it!Must get it from Demo’s Too!I don’t have any of these games but have tried a couple of the demo’s!Will try the cleaner tool and post back!!

Removal tool on that link DID work for me!!Funny how you “THINK” your computer is protected!!

Voodoo

Thx for the info. Mighty interesting stuff.

I am infected too… I read that even some demos contain SF…For me it could be either a demo or playing around with supposedly cracked versions of certain games…

Edit: Consider changing the title to something closer to the topic. Something like “How Starforce may deteriorate performance and cause instability”.

Thanks for the topic and good luck with rethinking the title. This topic definately deserves a place here at CD Freaks. It might even be sent to the other subforums here…

Can’t edit,Sorry!!!

I have serious doubts these slowdowns could cause hardware damage. A more realistic scenario would be that the extending burning times (due to the interference with ATAPI operations) could cause premature failure of your drive optics due to the duration of the sustained burn times compared to normal high speed operation.

Of course back when I started burning optical media CD-R’s took about 45 mins to burn. Thus blaming software for the drive optics not being able to provide reliable operation under sustained use isn’t pointing the finger in the right direction either. In that cause it would be exposing the marginal engineering of the optical drive involved.

I did’nt write the article, nor do I know how true it is!Myself, I like to be informed when things are being installed on my machine.So I “choose” to remove any software containing this “crap”!!Take as you will, It’s your choice !!! As I stated above, I have’nt had any burning problems with or without the Starforce drivers!!

Voodoo