Jury: Samsung copied Apple, should pay at least $1.049 billion in damages

vbimport

After a surprisingly short time, court officials informed us that the jury in the Apple v. Samsung case had reached a verdict — and when it came, it wasn’t good news for Samsung. The jury found in Apple’s favor almost overwhelming, deciding that Samsung had infringement upon Apple’s intellectual property with multiple devices. Apple won’t be getting the more than $2.5 billion it had asked for, but it will be getting at least $1,049,343,540.

Link: http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/24/3254422/apple-samsung-trial-verdict

:cool::cool:

And I hope Google wins a bundle from Apple…

With the court and jury in the U.S it wasn’t a big surprise to me, especially when key evidence in the defense for samsung was not allowed to be presented in court on their behalf.

Read what South Korean court says…

SKorean court ruled Samsung didn’t copy iPhone

I think companies from different countries who are in a legal battle the case should be done within another country which they are not based in doing so would eliminate any possible bias in the court.

BUT[B]!![/B] hey tis only my .02¢

[B]SJ[/B]

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2651732]With the court and jury in the U.S it wasn’t a big surprise to me, especially when key evidence in the defense for samsung was not allowed to be presented in court on their behalf.

Read what South Korean court says…

SKorean court ruled Samsung didn’t copy iPhone

I think companies from different countries who are in a legal battle the case should be done within another country which they are not based in doing so would eliminate any possible bias in the court.

BUT[B]!![/B] hey tis only my .02¢

[B]SJ[/B][/QUOTE]

South Korea does not have the jury system. If it had, the South Korean court would have ruled Samsung should pay US$100 billion to Apple for copying iPhone and iPad. That’s the amount of profits Samsung will have made out of those Android devices from 2010 to 2015.

Since I am not a typical South Korean, I believe Apple should pay US$500 billion to Nokia and Motorola and Sony and Microsoft and Samsung, but the list should also include Xerox, AT&T, iRiver, Steve Wozniak, and thousands of others.

Apple has done better at two things: integrating the latest and best hardware components (at ridiculously low cost from East Asian companies like Foxconn and Samsung) and creating an application market for iOS even better than the one for Microsoft Windows for PC and servers. Mac computers usually had slower processors, less RAM and HDD space, smaller screens than PC and there were not as many Mac OS-compatible applications than Windows applications. Steve Jobs had to beg Bill Gates personally to make Office for Mac and announce it on a Mac event day, and it was only because Bill Gates did so that saved Apple in the late 1990s. So Apple began to copy the Wintel strategies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CW0DUg63lqU#t=14s I guess Steve Jobs was greatest of them all…

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2651813]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CW0DUg63lqU#t=14s I guess Steve Jobs was greatest of them all…[/QUOTE]

This video starts from 1983 when Mitch Kapor was next to Bill Gates.

[QUOTE=Kenshin;2651743]Apple has done better at two things: integrating the latest and best hardware components [/QUOTE]

Like Matshita writers. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Kenshin;2651820]This video starts from 1983 when Mitch Kapor was next to Bill Gates.[/QUOTE]
Where was Adobe? They (remember PageMaker? PostScript? PhotoShop?) are the ones that made the MAC…

[QUOTE=Gummigutta;2651822]Like Matshita writers. :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Apple bought RAM, CPU, NAND, LCD, etc. mostly from Samsung for iPod, iPhone, and iPad, but has been diversifying the sources since Samsung started making and selling their own Android-based devices. The assembly was mostly done at Foxconn and Pegatron.

Matsushita on the other hand is one of the oldest Japanese electronics companies, and designs and makes millions of times more things than Apple. The relationship is like this: Matsushita - Samsung - Foxconn - Apple - Newegg - Myce - Customers so comparing Apple with Matsushita is not proper. What Apple does is more like what G.Skill and OCZ do. Anyway, it was Matsushita and NEC that initially lead the CD writer and DVD writer global OEM markets, but only when the unit cost was US$10,000, or US$1,000, or US$100. There were more than 10 very famous and popular Japanese ODD makers, and even more not-so-famous makers, but none of them could compete when LG Electronics and Samsung Electronics were selling hundreds of millions of drives at US$10 each.

Apple made their computers in the US like 30 years ago. All those ODM and OEM manufacturers have done far more things behind the advertisements and news and reviews on the hardware websites. Even relatively minor makers like ZTE and Huawei have begun in this year some appearances on the global forecasts and market share lists.

Apple still is the sexiest - and thus the most expensive - brand name in today’s world, but the combined global PC market share of Lenovo, Acer, and Asus, the three leading PC makers of the Greater China is now larger than the combined share of HP and Dell. When armed with polished looks and flowing tongue, the third-tier and fourth-tier manufacturers will begin to mean much more in both news headlines and earnings reports.

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2651824]Where was Adobe? They (remember PageMaker? PostScript? PhotoShop?) are the ones that made the MAC…[/QUOTE]

That video’s Mac event was held in October 1983 so Adobe was not yet ready to produce something significant for Mac.

Adobe was founded in December 1982 by John Warnock and Charles Geschke, who established the company after leaving Xerox PARC in order to develop and sell the PostScript page description language. In 1985, Apple Computer licensed PostScript for use in its LaserWriter printers, which helped spark the desktop publishing revolution.

That US$1.049 billlion to be paid is larger than the 2011 net income of Adobe Systems.

Samsung hopes the amount can be reduced, but I feel the company can pay three times or five times as much to Apple and still survive and make much better phones. In the long run, Apple is not a threat at all. The moment those Chinese third- and fourth-tier makers learn to wear mini-skirts and speak Manhattan slangs and still spread words of vegans and Zen will be Samsung’s end to growth.

It was Motorola though that Samsung first copied to make mobile phones in 1989, but Motorola dominated even the domestic South Korean mobile phone market until about mid-1990s. Since about 1994, Samsung started using the ‘Anycall’ brand name in South Korea, and rapidly gained domestic market share. It entered the US market in 1997. Samsung shipped about 100 million units from April to June, or about 25% global market share. Nokia is stronger mainly in some parts of Western Europe and Africa. Apple is stronger mainly in the US.

Someone said Samsung did not use Anycall brand name in the US market because Anycall reminds native English speakers of prostitutes, or ‘call girls’ and so used ‘Samsung Mobile’ instead.

Samsung should buy Sony and Matsushita and allow Sony’s PlayStation people to design Samsung devices and Matsushita people to give names to them.