Jurassic Park: Special Edition

vbimport

Can’t backup Jurassic Park: Special Edition. (YES, the disc is fine)
Tried Pathplayer on and off.
Gets the ‘can’t read’ window about 44% into the Copy Main Movie.

I’ve sent the IFO files to Fengtao.

I’m not sure which Jurassic Park movie this is or which special edition it is but you’ve already done all the correct things.

Hopefully it’s something else but unless this is a completely new version it sounds to me that it’s likely to be a bad pressing.

[B]Wombler[/B]

The disk is Fine. The movie plays perfectly from the start to the end.

I’ve sent in the IFO files<<<<I Hope they are being looked at.

[QUOTE=Countryshack;2654695]The disk is Fine. The movie plays perfectly from the start to the end.

I’ve sent in the IFO files<<<<I Hope they are being looked at.[/QUOTE]

They look at everything sent through to them.

Just because it plays though doesn’t mean that the disc is okay.

The player’s error correction is designed to cope with unreadable sectors but ripping software expects to be able to read all valid sectors perfectly.

I have a copy of ‘The Great Outdoors’ here that I know has no special protection, but it won’t rip due to a flaw somewhere on the disc.

There’s no visible damage on the disc yet it plays perfectly in standalone players.

If it’s just a decryption problem though, then Fengtao can fix it.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Wombler,

Is there some way that they’ll let me know here if the problem is with the software or not so I’ll know if I have to order another disk to keep as backup from CDUniverse?

You might want to see if it is a software problem with DVDFab just not being up to date on this . If it is a DVD & you want to try this :
Get DVDFab’s PassKey Lite & IsoPuzzle .
This will give you an.iso of the whole movie .
I use another companies virtual drive but DVDFab has one now.
http://www.dvdfab.com/virtual-drive.htm
http://www.dvdfab.com/passkey-lite.htm
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/IsoPuzzle

Mount the .iso in the virtual drive & then do a main movie with DVDFab.
If it is a decryption problem then Passkey Lite probably won’t decrypt it & the process will fail.
If it’s not a decryption problem IsoPuzzle tries much harder to do a read .
It can even try the read on a different drive for the same .iso but hopefully that won’t be necessary.

I downloaded Passkey Lite and it wouldn’t give me an iso image. After 3 hours it had over 800 errors etc.

[QUOTE=Countryshack;2654775]Wombler,

Is there some way that they’ll let me know here if the problem is with the software or not so I’ll know if I have to order another disk to keep as backup from CDUniverse?[/QUOTE]

If it’s an older disc then DVDFab should be able to cope with it without problems.

I’m assuming that this disc is an older release given the title but that hasn’t been confirmed this yet.

There’s the odd older disc that falls foul of the updated decryption routines that changed a while back in DVDFab, but these older discs shouldn’t present any problem for the older versions of the program, so I’d suggest downloading one of the early pre-Qt versions of DVDFab from here and giving that a go.

This will install and uninstall separately to the current version so it won’t mess up your existing installation.

If that doesn’t work then we can have a look at the logs from the current version which may provide further details.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I tried vs. 5 and the same thing.
Wouldn’t the IFO files tell the whole story?
Thanks Again for your help.

As Wombler advised an older addition of DVDFab may work if this Jurassic Park: Special Edition is an older release . If it’s a new release of an older movie it may have new encryption & DVDFab has not caught up with this . What DVDFab is supposed to do is use the IFO files you sent them to fix the problem for their next release. If you do need to use an older version of DVDFab don’t go back so far try a pre QT version 8 .

On the IsoPuzzle with PassKey Lite. Three hours is too long for IsoPuzzle in most cases .
Although it is possible it is a “bad” new disc .
I’m going based on the IsoPuzzle results it is an encryption problem .

This is what I would now try:
I can’t post the names of the softwares in the DVDFab subforum .
There are two competitors of DVDFab that have their own subforums here at club.myce . Both have free trials . With these you can at least test to see if they will rip this DVD. If they do then it would for sure be an encryption problem with DVDFab. If you prefer to rip with DVDfab only you can always try again with the next version.

Thanks Cholla,

I’m just too old to keep wasting brain cells on this project:)
We think we’ll just order another disk to keep as a backup.

Thank ALL for sticking with us and trying to help.

Understood .
If you feel up to it when you get the new disc give DVDFab a try & if it works please post that. I’m curious to see if it is the disc or DVDfab.
If you don’t feel like it that’s OK too.

Hi Ya Cholla,
The new disk we ordered came in today and it worked Perfectly with DVDFab 8.2.1.1
Thanks Again All For The Usual Wonderful and Quick Help.

BTW: It is good to know that the disk can play fine on the TV DVD Player and still be a bad disc that won’t copy. I don’t understand it, but I’m now a confirmed believer:)

Thanks Again.
[I]SHACK[/I]

[QUOTE=Countryshack;2655569]Hi Ya Cholla,
The new disk we ordered came in today and it worked Perfectly with DVDFab 8.2.1.1
Thanks Again All For The Usual Wonderful and Quick Help.[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear you’re sorted and I’m also glad that my thoughts on this were correct as I hate to see people replacing things unnecessarily.

Sometimes it has to be done though. :wink:

BTW: It is good to know that the disk can play fine on the TV DVD Player and still be a bad disc that won’t copy. I don’t understand it, but I’m now a confirmed believer:)

Thanks Again.
[I]SHACK[/I]

This is something I tell people all the time but many are reluctant to believe it.

An invisible flaw can interfere with the laser if it happens to be in exactly the wrong place or orientation in relation to the data.

I also had one brand new unplayed disc that wouldn’t rip and had no visible marks, dust or damage.

When I cleaned the disc lightly it ripped properly, so even microscopic dust can interfere with the laser if it’s in the wrong place.

A lot of people have never come across these difficulties themselves but I’ve ripped a few thousand discs in my time and have therefore experienced just about every problem that can happen. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]