Junk? Memorex RITEK F16 001 [01h]

vbimport

Over the weekend picked up 2 50 packs of Memorex 16x DVD+R at BestBuy for a whopping $7.99 each. Crack open a package last night and instead of the great performing Ricoh JPN03 discs I’ve been getting from Memorex these are:

RITEK F16 001 [01h]

Have never heard of this MID from Ritek and my burner [NEC nd-6650a with latest firmware] will only write them at 4x. Is this a new MID my burner won’t properly support or just junk?

[quote=Mr_Furious;2167789]Over the weekend picked up 2 50 packs of Memorex 16x DVD+R at BestBuy for a whopping $7.99 each. Crack open a package last night and instead of the great performing Ricoh JPN03 discs I’ve been getting from Memorex these are:

RITEK F16 001 [01h]

Have never heard of this MID from Ritek and my burner [NEC nd-6650a with latest firmware] will only write them at 4x. Is this a new MID my burner won’t properly support or just junk?[/quote]
F16 can be good and you are right it is not supported in your FW.

[QUOTE=Mr_Furious;2167789]Over the weekend picked up 2 50 packs of Memorex 16x DVD+R at BestBuy for a whopping $7.99 each. Crack open a package last night and instead of the great performing Ricoh JPN03 discs I’ve been getting from Memorex these are:

RITEK F16 001 [01h]

Have never heard of this MID from Ritek and my burner [NEC nd-6650a with latest firmware] will only write them at 4x. Is this a new MID my burner won’t properly support or just junk?[/QUOTE]

As the first reply said, you simply have too old of a writer for this media code. As such, the write defaulted to 4x maximum using a generic write strategy. With today’s relatively low prices for computer DVD writers, I would bite the bullet and purchase one of the newer writers.

This is a laptop so it’s not that easy to just swap drives. The selection and price of slimline drives isn’t nearly as good as for desktop burners. If I can’t find a source for cheap compatible media I’ll probably move to using an external burner. Sadly I’ll probably wind up spending more for the enclosure than the burner.

On the compatible media tip; anyone know who is selling Ricoh JPN03 +r media under their brand? I’ve been buying Memorex but they’ve obviously dropped it.

Memorex still sells RICOHJPN R03 and many other disc models. That’s what Memorex does. :wink:

Search the forums for a semi-difficult way to identify RICOHJPN R03 from examining the spindle and checking hub codes.

You may find R03 under Maxell at times, as well as Office Depot’s store brand DVD+R. [Again, you’d have to know how to identify them by examining the spindle or package, if possible]. I wouldn’t really recommend trying to find it under other brands.

As my supply has been running low I’ve been checking every store in my area for the past 2 months and have spotted none of them. If Memorex is still selling them they’re not making into my market.

The easy way to spot the JPN 03’s is by checking the foam spacers at the top of the stack. The discs in question are actually thicker [and heavier] than most other discs, so on a 100 pack you usually have 2 sometimes 3 fewer spacers between the discs and the top of the cake box.

[QUOTE=Albert;2170217]You may find R03 under Maxell at times, as well as Office Depot’s store brand DVD+R.[/QUOTE]

That’s true - if a store still sells new old stock. Maxell appeared to have switched its primary supplier to CMC Magnetics within the past couple of years. And Office Depot stores are now clearing out its entire stock of private-label media, and will not be restocking that media. (The latter is because RiTEK now prefers to sell media under its own RiDATA and other names as well as supplying certain major brand names, leaving the private labels no choice but to get the crappy made-in-China media with faked media codes and then selling them at nearly the same price as the major brand-name media. :disagree: :a :Z )

On the other hand, the Imation group (which sells media under the Memorex, HP, Imation and TDK brand names) is currently transitioning to using RiTEK as its primary supplier (except for the HP brand, whose trademark is used by Imation under license from HP itself), with CMC being retained as a secondary supplier to its brands (primary for HP). (At Office Depot, the new 2009 Memorex-branded CD-R media with the new Memorex logo in a stylish white package with new cool designs all use RiTEK-made media with the exception of the Photo CD-R, which is still supplied by CMC. That brand’s DVD media still uses the old logo and design, and it’s now almost an even mix of RiTEK and CMC media in those packages.)

[QUOTE=RJL65;2170294]And Office Depot stores are now clearing out its entire stock of private-label media, and will not be restocking that media…On the other hand, the Imation group (which sells media under the Memorex, HP, Imation and TDK brand names) is currently transitioning to using RiTEK as its primary supplier (except for the HP brand, whose trademark is used by Imation under license from HP itself), with CMC being retained as a secondary supplier to its brands (primary for HP).[/QUOTE]

1. I was wondering about that 50% clearance sale, whether it was nationwide, and whether it meant that the Office Depot brand was going away permanently. Now I know. It’s a shame because the OD brand media was a good and cheap alternative to other sources of Ritek CD-Rs and Ricoh DVDs (the Ativa private brand was all CMC).

2. Didn’t realize that Imation was the one who handled distribution and marketing of HP media. In any event, it doesn’t surprise me that HP will remain CMC. That relationship is too tight to change. HP and CMC are nearly synonomous, and that’s one of the reasons that the CMC media under the HP brand is usually a little better than that found under other brands.

3. I sure will miss the days when Imation brand media was either 8x CMC or 16x Optodisc. That was some of the best media ever produced. Currently, I’ve only seen the new Imation Ritek media show up on eBay, although people in different parts of the country have said that they’ve seen it in retail places like OD. It definitely hasn’t made it’s way to the west coast yet, but the clearance sale at OD is probably designed to make room for it.

[QUOTE=negritude;2170397]I was wondering about that 50% clearance sale, whether it was nationwide, and whether it meant that the Office Depot brand was going away permanently. Now I know. It’s a shame because the OD brand media was a good and cheap alternative to other sources of Ritek CD-Rs and Ricoh DVDs (the Ativa private brand was all CMC).[/QUOTE]

I, for one, just don’t want OD private-label media to go the way of Best Buy’s Dynex and Walgreens’ Corner Office (formerly Computer Essentials) private-label brands. (At least OD won’t be supplied with crappy MIHK or MIC media priced nearly as high as the major brands.) Fortunately, Staples’ (US) private-label media is still all-CMC (for the time being).

[QUOTE=RJL65;2171184]I, for one, just don’t want OD private-label media to go the way of Best Buy’s Dynex and Walgreens’ Corner Office (formerly Computer Essentials) private-label brands. (At least OD won’t be supplied with crappy MIHK or MIC media priced nearly as high as the major brands.) Fortunately, Staples’ (US) private-label media is still all-CMC (for the time being).[/QUOTE]

An update on Best Buy’s Dynex-branded optical media:

Best Buy no longer sells media with faked media codes. The Dynex-branded discs have changed once again - this time to genuine CMC Magnetics media.

Thus, in the space of less than three years (the history of Dynex as one of Best Buy’s private-label brands), Dynex has gone from being genuine RiTEK to Infosmart-made discs with fake MCC media codes to the present-day genuine CMC.

And Office Depot is now no longer selling any private-label media. Its optical media stock now consists entirely of the Imation-controlled brands (Memorex and TDK).