Jumping Movie! Please Help!

Please help I’m going mad!
Got a Sony DVD RW DW-Q520A in my Acer Laptop.
I’m trying to burn an avi movie off my harddrive into dvd format using DVDSanta.
It appears to record without a problem, but on playing back the new copy from the dvd it jumps.
Can best describe the jumping as it’s like you’re blinking every 2 seconds while watching it.
I’ve enabled DMA (learnt that reading a thread).
DVD recorder brandnew so as far as aware I’m using latest firmware.
I’ve also tried other avi files and tried different dvd +/- discs but no good.
I even formatted ealier today thinking it would help but nothing.
Can any kind soul out there suggest what the problem is???

Welcome to the forum :flower:

Could you tell us what brand these discs are that you have tried? Also, do you mean ALL the .avi’s that you’ve converted have this behaviour?

Hi IMKID57,

Thanks for reply.

Yes all my avi files (and some I’ve downloaded) have this behaviour.
When I burn them onto a dvd, they playback with this error.

Discs I’ve used include:
IMATION
VERBATIM
TESCO

Forgot to say that this problem started after I’d recorded quite a few with no probs. So I bought this new Sony drive thinking it would fix the problem but I’ve got same error now!

Hmmm… well your Verbatim discs should be all right.

I wonder if the .avis have a packed bitstream, which is causing problems for the conversion program.

Try downloading MPEG4 Modifier and seeing whether they are of this type. The program will also correct the .avi and you could then try converting the processed version and burning on a Verbatim disc.

Thanks again IMKIDD57,

I’ve been to the MPEG4 Modifier download place and got both, but neither will run?

The binary one says “failed to initialise”

The source one won’t run as seems I haven’t got the program it was made with to view it?

Which one should I perservere with?

That might be because you don’t have the Microsoft .NET environment installed, and MPEG4 Modifier needs it to run. BTW it’s the binary download that is required.

I guess you would have to think about whether you want to install .NET 2.0 from the Microsoft site. The MPEG4 Modifier solution I suggested might not be the correct one, but you could always uninstall .NET afterwards if it isn’t.

Hi IMKIDD57,

Ignore my last post, I got it to run after updating some Microsoft downloads.

In answer to your question, no the AVI’s don’t have a packed bit streams, this is what the MP4decoder told me.

Thanks for your suggestion anyway!

OK that’s good: at least we know it can’t be that.

What is your PC software player, and do you know what codecs it is using for playback? Can you download VideoLAN VLC and see whether this play the converted DVD material properly…? It has its own codecs and will usually handle most things.

Hi,

I’ll try that VIDELAN asap and get back to you.

Suppose I should mention I also get this problem if I try and watch the DVD I’ve burnt on my DVD player attached to me TV as well as the DVD player in my laptop?

Hi IMKIDD57,

I tried the VIDELAN but I’m afraid the same problem!
I normally just use Windows Media Player to watch these with.

I really appreciate the help, I’ve tried all I can and really don’t know what to do.

[B]I’ve also just noticed that I get this ‘blinking’ (it’s like the picture freezes for a millisecond then continues playing) if I watch the converted AVI file when it’s a VTS file before I burn it to a DVD disc?[/B]

Does this help at all with a prognosis?

I am very interested how this will turn out, as I am getting the EXACT same problem.
I use winavi to convert to vob but when I burn I have this problem. Also if I run the vobs on my pc with windvd it does the same.

It is annoying when you cant figure the problem.
I have installed the latest divx codecs.

OK I guess we’d better try the discs then.

Can you download CD-DVD Speed and fire it up. Put one of the problem discs in the Sony DVD drive and copy the text information that appears in the ‘Disc Info’ tab into a post here. Don’t send it yet.

Then switch to the ‘Disc Quality’ tab on CD DVD Speed and run that test. When it’s finished, save the graph by clicking the little floppy disc icon in the window title bar and save as a .PNG file. Then attach it to your post using the ‘Manage attachments’ function of the CD Freaks ‘Advanced editing’ window and then send it here.

But don’t run the quality test at max speed :wink:

I don’t know what LiteOn drive that Sony really is, so I’d suggest maybe scanning at 4x to be safe. :slight_smile:

Hi IMKIDD57,

I’m trying the CD-DVD speed as we speak.

Just to clarify:

[B]I’ve noticed now that the problem seems to be occuring during the converting of an AVI file into a video file, not during the burning. I say this as I’ve watched some of these converted video files (using Media Player) before I’ve burnt them to DVD and they do this blinking, so makes me think the problem’s already there before I go on and burn it to DVD? Seems I’m just burning an already ‘blinking’ video file?[/B]

Does this make sense?!

To add, these AVI’s I’m converting have already been compressed using XVID, does this make a difference?

Yes, I noticed that but I’d like to exclude the discs as a variable before asking you to try something else. I take your point though that if some errors are present before burning then it’s unlikely to be solely down to the discs.

Okay, thanks for that, just didn’t want you wasting your time trying to help when I hadn’t explained it properly.

I’ll post the results asap.

Thanks again.

Okay, so here the results of the CD-DVD Speed test:

Nero CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info
Basic Information
Disc type: : DVD-R
Book Type : DVD-R
Manufacturer: : unknown
MID : MBI 01RG40
Write speeds: : 2 X - 4 X - 6 X - 8 X
Blank Capacity : 4.38 GB
: 4489 MB
: 4707319808 bytes
Extended Information
Layers : 1
Usage : General
Copyright protection : n/a
Recorder information : recorded with SONY DW-Q520AHYS2
Disc Status : Closed
Raw Data
Pre-recorded Information in Lead-in (0Eh)
0000 - 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 52 00 02 85 0D 10 88 9A 80 00 - .@…R…
0010 - 03 4D 42 49 20 30 31 00 04 52 47 34 30 00 00 00 - .MBI.01…RG40…
0020 - 05 88 80 00 00 00 02 00 E4 70 05 00 5D 8E 41 77 - …p…].Aw
0030 - 04 00 00 00 DC 70 05 00 00 C0 D4 77 00 80 00 00 - …p…w…
0040 - FC 70 05 00 7D 3F 41 77 00 80 00 00 0C 03 01 00 - .p…}?Aw…
0050 - FC FF FF FF 24 71 05 00 00 00 15 00 32 07 91 7C - …$q…2…|
0060 - 0B 00 00 00 98 08 15 00 00 00 15 00 A8 06 18 00 - …

I’ve also saved the rest aspng file as you asked IMKIDD57.
Hope this helps you?

Thanks

PIF max of 208 - ouch! That could be one of your reasons right there. However, it could be a single spike, in which case it may or may not cause playback problems.

It’s kinda hard to tell looking at the data alone - that’s why a lot of us save the actual scan graphs :slight_smile:

Follow the directions of all my esteemed colleagues regarding choosing media quality and perhaps think about investing in a AVI/DivX/Xvid to DVD format conversion program called VSO Video Converter for all your video file conversions.
See here: http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/

Hi All,

Thank for the continued help.

Here’s the graph that the CD-DVD Speed thing showed, does this look god or bad?

As I said before, I’ve got the jumping/blinking error after conversion from AVI to DVD before I burn it to disc, does this mean it’s a conversion issue?

I tried the VSO software ‘stroppy’ kindly suggested, but problem persists, even though jumping/bliking looks slightly different! :confused: