'Juice-jacking' - The next big threat to the mobile workforce?

vbimport

‘Juice-jacking’ - The next big threat to the mobile workforce?.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2011/08/hUO6sm.jpg[/newsimage]21st century workers are constantly on the move. They shift and set up in myriad new "offices"; coffee shops, restaurants and hotels are now viable options. No longer are they chained to their desks or homes for deadlines and meetings. And with that change comes new security threats. "Juice-jacking" is one of them.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/juice-jacking-the-next-big-threat-to-the-mobile-workforce-50365/](http://www.myce.com/news/juice-jacking-the-next-big-threat-to-the-mobile-workforce-50365/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

use a doctored usb lead with the 2 center data connectors shorted together, your phone will charge faster too

[QUOTE=rexroach;2600584]use a doctored usb lead with the 2 center data connectors shorted together, your phone will charge faster too[/QUOTE]
You can also buy a USB charging cable that doesn’t have the data connectors.

[QUOTE=BradWright;2600587]You can also buy a USB charging cable that doesn’t have the data connectors.[/QUOTE]
Didn’t know that, coolness.

My android phone & tab have development mode on.
The devices don’t mount the drives unless I specifically tell it to. Wake me up when android exploits bypass it.

Laptops might not share the same luxury, but it should be a setting in the os to ignore usb con nections until acknowledged by the user.

Iphones/ipads are usb connection whores, they squeal like a pig to anything which tells them itunes is installed.

Perhaps this will knock a bit of sense into the Net Junkies that just have to be connected to their artifical world 24/7, but I doubt it.
Personally, I will still enjoy my Espresso in a (purposfully) RF shielded Coffee House, having Real conversations with Real people. No WiFi, no Cell Phones, no polystyrene jerks.

People will also probably put padlocks on their electrical outlets when plug-in elec hybrids become very popular & prolific. Although you probably could earn juice credits by shopping at Walmart and use their outlets for free with a minimum purchase… one day when the car compnaies get their heads out of the oil companies’ ass.

These are my suggestions to avoid being short on power:

1. Spare battery (unless you’re an iPhone owner.) The batteries in most phones now are very thin and may even fit in a wallet. The big advantage here is that the battery can be swapped over without waiting around for the phone to partially charge. The catch is remembering to charge both batteries later.

2. Portable charger. The one I have (Veho pebble) is about the size of a 2.5" USB HDD and fully recharges my Nokia 5800 phone 3 to 4 times from empty. The advantage with this is that it can charge other handheld items such as GPS, MiFi dongle, etc. and charges a lot faster than a USB charger. It also saves carrying a separate mains charger, as it can plug into a laptop’s USB port to charge, e.g. while the laptop itself is also plugged in to charge up.

3. USB charger for those who regularly carry a laptop everywhere. As a few mentioned, you can pick up a USB charger for a few quid (€2 here in discount shops), which only connect the 5v power and charge the phone from your laptop. So while checking your e-mail at the coffee shop, your phone could be charging up from your laptop/netbook.

MyKey Technology (mykeytech dot com) has a cable

specifically designed to prevent Juice Jacking. Each and

every cable is tested and they are simple, easy and just

works. and only $8.00.