Judge: Pink Floyd songs can't be sold individually

vbimport

Judge: Pink Floyd songs can’t be sold individually.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/03/NztBZ8.jpg[/newsimage]Pink Floyd, one of the most popular rock bands of all time, has won a lawsuit that could prevent its songs from being sold online as individual tracks.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/judge-pink-floyd-songs-cant-be-sold-individually-27079/](http://www.myce.com/news/judge-pink-floyd-songs-cant-be-sold-individually-27079/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Pink Floyd’s tunes deserve to be sold as album, they do have a flow to them, and its an artform.

The Pink Floyd Greatest Hits doesn’t have that flow, and makes me agree with the concept.

I know modern music has lost the idea of the album, but classic floyd embrances the album concept.

Well looks like they are gonna drag thier feet into the 21st century eh :rolleyes:… Too bad they have now limited thier marketability… but once yer rich ya don’t have to concern yerself with taudry things like fans… If they were doin it for “the art” they would have never put out an album… so must be something in there about “money”… the reason a majority of all artists get into the recording industry… please spare me the idealistic “Artistic integrity” BS … I been around “the biz” way too long to be that naive… it goes out the door when ya sign that contract… guess this just shows how for some… “Time” stands still :Z

I agree with Zod.
Take “Dark side of the moon”, for example. It only works as an album, with each track running into the next, it wouldn’t work at all if the tracks were split up, IMO.
Also, IMO, the artist, not the record label, should be in control in how their music is distributed.

Okay, devil’s advocate time here…

Side one

1. “Speak to Me” Mason Instrumental 1:30
  2. “Breathe” Waters, Gilmour, Wright Gilmour 2:43
  3. “On the Run” Gilmour, Waters Instrumental 3:30
  4. “Time” (containing “Breathe (Reprise)”) Mason, Waters, Wright, Gilmour Gilmour and Wright 6:53
  5. “The Great Gig in the Sky” Wright, Clare Torry[nb 13] Clare Torry 4:15
    Side two
  6. “Money” Waters Gilmour 6:30
  7. “Us and Them” Waters, Wright Gilmour and Wright 7:34
  8. “Any Colour You Like” Gilmour, Mason, Wright Instrumental 3:24
  9. “Brain Damage” Waters Waters 3:50
  10. “Eclipse” Waters Waters 1:45

Here’s the track list. Raise your hand if you’ve ever heard Track 1 or 3 from side one, or side 2 track 3 or 5 on the radio…or heard them any where near as much as the others…Also notice that since it was originally released on vinyl, as two separate sets (one to a side) Pink Floyd themselves had to bastardize the album by eliminating the pause in continuity of having to get up and turn the record over…:wink:

[QUOTE=Dee;2501654]
Also, IMO, the artist, not the record label, should be in control in how their music is distributed.[/QUOTE]

Couldn’t agree more :iagree: but sadly the artist received the short end of the stick and profits and control of their music. Until that happens the greeds of RIAA and MPAA won’t go away anytime soon as well as the pirates and p2p. Technology keeps evolving and those RIAA and MPAA will die a slow death of their own doing.

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2501721]Okay, devil’s advocate time here…
Also notice that since it was originally released on vinyl, as two separate sets (one to a side) Pink Floyd themselves had to bastardize the album by eliminating the pause in continuity of having to get up and turn the record over…;)[/QUOTE]

I actually think there’s artistic beauty in the album break, kind of like acts in a play, or movements in a symphony. Wait, are we agreeing with each other?