Judge blocks sales of DVD chips that bypass CSS protection

vbimport

I just posted the article Judge blocks sales of DVD chips that bypass CSS protection.

A Californian judge has ruled that
ESS has to stop selling certain chips to an unnamed devices maker. The
chips were found in a device that allowed DVDs to be copied. The judge also…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8778-Judge-blocks-sales-of-DVD-chips-that-bypass-CSS-protection.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8778-Judge-blocks-sales-of-DVD-chips-that-bypass-CSS-protection.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

For all intents and purposes, this precedent will probably be used to kill software CSS killing programs. No more AnyDVD’s sold in the US.:r:(

Eh. I’m not so worried about that. You can’t download or email a mod chip. As long as some good-natured soul out there is willing to share, I think we’ll be able to get AnyDVD updates here in the US.

I agree. I’m talking about through legal channels, though, like through a local store. BTW, nothing says that info. for making your own mod chips and installing them are illegal, at least I don’t think they’ve shut down the console video game mod chips.

So, forget the restrictive police state and move business operations to somewhere enlightened… …like Canada. :slight_smile:

Doesn’t this effectivly make all DVD players illegal. Your not allowed to put a chip in a product that can crack CSS and then make a copy of it. However, don’t all DVD players use a chip to crack CSS then make a copy of the movie in internal memory to play it. In my opinion there’s no way you can look at this, that doesn’t make all DVD players illegal. They don’t want people cracking CSS but you have to crack CSS or the DVD can’t be played.
[edited by chsbiking on 27.07.2004 22:42]

Bottom line, I find it hard to believe that any ruling that outlaws an otherwise benign electronic device based on what it “might” be used for is going to stand for long. That’s like outlawing cable boxes because someone “might” use it to steal cable, or outlawing bolt-on turbo kits because someone “might” use it to race their car, or guns because someone “might” use it to kill someone … oops … that’s another topic altogether, right? What they need to do is create a chip that “does” something else, but also happens to decrypt CSS … that would be a little too much for them to chew on, I would think.

Actually any information that teaches how to build a chip that bypasses copy protection is an express violation of the DMCA.

When has a chip been needed to copy a DVD? There are plenty of free programs that do that, and if it’s large scale copying there is hardware that do multiple DVDs at a time.