JPEG organization aims to standardize DRM for image format

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: JPEG organization aims to standardize DRM for image format[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/07/myce-jpeg-drm-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

The JPEG Commission is investigating how JPEG images can be secured with DRM. The Commission is looking to extend the standard with functionality that should improve privacy and prevent copyright infringement.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/jpeg-organization-aims-to-standardize-drm-for-image-format-76663/](http://www.myce.com/news/jpeg-organization-aims-to-standardize-drm-for-image-format-76663/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I wonder how they gonna disable Prt Scr with their DRM…:bigsmile:

The key will be changed to PAY SCRN instead, with tracking abilities to charge everyone for each access or use of every image.

I’d imagine the privacy part of the DRM will be obscurity based where those viewing the imagine are unaware of the DRM until the day it expires and no longer opens, similar to how one runs into a post with supposedly helpful information but where the hot-linked images are broken.

As for copy protection for copyrighted images, I fully agree. Even the most novice users know the print-screen trick on those websites that disable right-click with JavaScript.

The trick has long worked with eBooks also - Open a page, print screen, insert new page in Word, paste, crop and repeat. Sure it looks a little grainy and tedious doing more than a few pages, but I’m sure no worse than photocopying content from books as students, researchers, etc. often do.

Somehow I doubt this will help protect anyone’s privacy. In fact, the tendency with DRM is to do the opposite: record everything everyone does so that information can be sold to prevent “piracy”. As if we aren’t all constantly being watched by enough people already.

As for preventing copyright infringement, YEA FREAKIN’ RIGHT! Anti-copying technologies have basically failed since (at least) the 1980s. They didn’t work then, and everyone knows they don’t work now. At best, the simply make legal usage of copyrighted works much harder than it needs to be. So what is the point?

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2756883]Somehow I doubt this will help protect anyone’s privacy. In fact, the tendency with DRM is to do the opposite: record everything everyone does so that information can be sold to prevent “piracy”. As if we aren’t all constantly being watched by enough people already.

As for preventing copyright infringement, YEA FREAKIN’ RIGHT! Anti-copying technologies have basically failed since (at least) the 1980s. They didn’t work then, and everyone knows they don’t work now. At best, the simply make legal usage of copyrighted works much harder than it needs to be. So what is the point?[/QUOTE]

Couldn’t have said it better…the Point is “GREED” “MONEY” that is the point…they won’t admit it but the evidence is quite clear what their intent is.