Joining two files in Imgburn

I want to make a backup of “Bridge on the River Kwai”. I used DVDFab to put it on the HD; however, it’s too large for even a DL disc (8 Gig). If I use DVDFab to do just the main movie I get two separate files. I’ve used the preview to view the files and they are two separate parts of the movie.

Is there any way to joint these two pieces together and still only get the main movie?

I don’t mind having a backup on the HD but I would like to have another hard copy as this is a classic. Thank you in advance for any help.

Jim

I assume this is the BR rip? Uh depends what format the movie is in, vob?

You can try Vob Merge http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/showsoftware_vobmerge_108.html

Personally, I’d rip the entire movie to the hard drive, then use DVDShrink or DVDRebuilder to output to a DVD-9 size. I’ve never known either to split a movie when going to this size output.

If you want a main movie only output, you can do this with Shrink. The free version of DVDRebuilder may not let you choose this option…been too long since I’ve looked at the free version.

Re-encoding the entire thing with the free version of DVDRebuilder will still produce a very high quality copy when going to DVD-9. The amount of compression in Shrink should be fairly small when going to this size in a main movie backup, so it should be good quality too.

I doubt that joining the vobs in VobMerge will work. This will produce vob files outside the specifications necessary for stand alone dvd players. (1gb max each).

All of this assumes you are starting with dvd-video of course…not blu ray.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2560181]
All of this assumes you are starting with dvd-video of course…not blu ray.[/QUOTE]

If he’s starting with DVD-9 the rip should not be to big to fit on a DVD+R DL disc right? The only thing that would make it to big is a bad rip (i.e. copy protection) or ripping from BR.

Well, I’ve [B]heard[/B] of some commercial dvds that were too large to fit a burnable disk, even a DL disk without compression. But I’ve found no support for that after a brief look through all the specifications online, and I’ve never run into one. One possibility is if he started with a DVD-10 or DVD-18 (flipper disk). Those are rare in commercial dvds however.

Of course HD-DVD or Blu ray would be larger.

I just recommended a couple of programs and processes that have worked for me when trying to backup large dvds. If no compression is necessary, none will be applied by either of those programs.

@Kerry56 , AFAIK DVDRebuilder (freeversion) doesn’t do movie only. I’ve found no setting that allows this. What I use is CloneDVD to do a movie only DVD9 rip & then compress(encode) to SL.
There is also no DVD9 output in the free version. There is a "No Compression ( 100% video) selection . I’ve never used it.I guess I need to give it a try.
DVDShrink should be able to compress it enough to fit a DL.
If possible I would try another rip with DVDFab maybe change a few settings. It should be able to do a rip that fits a DL DVD9.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2560209]Well, I’ve [B]heard[/B] of some commercial dvds that were too large to fit a burnable disk, even a DL disk without compression. But I’ve found no support for that after a brief look through all the specifications online, and I’ve never run into one.
[/QUOTE]

That’s interesting. That maybe possible w/ some type of overburning that can’t be done w/ +R DL media, you can do it to -R so it’s very possible.

Another issue could be copy protection where they make the file size incorrect and ripper rips that crap but that doesn’t seem likely.

[QUOTE=jsoulesone;2560175]I want to make a backup of “Bridge on the River Kwai”. I used DVDFab to put it on the HD; however, it’s too large for even a DL disc (8 Gig). If I use DVDFab to do just the main movie I get two separate files. I’ve used the preview to view the files and they are two separate parts of the movie.

Is there any way to joint these two pieces together and still only get the main movie?

I don’t mind having a backup on the HD but I would like to have another hard copy as this is a classic. Thank you in advance for any help.

Jim[/QUOTE]

Hi Jim,

Your movie only copy should be fine.

What playback software are you using?

Anyway, it sounds like you’re previewing the titlesets separately.

Don’t play them separately, just open the video_ts.ifo file instead in whatever playback software you use and the full movie will play.

You should be fine for burning these files to DVD too as removal of the menus etc. should guarantee that they’ll fit.

HTH.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[B]PS:[/B] Perhaps the relevant mod would move this to the Movie Copy Software forum as it’s not really ImgBurn related. TIA.

Thanks for the help guys, I’ll explore your suggestions a little later, I just wanted to let you know I’m not ignoring anybody.

I used DVDFab to put the entire movie on my hard drive and when I checked the properties, it showed the file size as 8Gigs. No joke, and no it’s not a flip or blue ray.

I have a ton of discs so I’ll try to burn one of the titles and see what happens and get back to you.

Jim

Then the problem is either what kerry heard overburned DL ROM that works, but can’t do that to +R. Or the disc contains an illegle file structure (for copy protection reasons) and DVDfab isn’t removing all the crap.

Looks like Sony made this DVD right? Then it’s DADC’s ARccOS but they are revising that all the time.

If you open the DVD in ISObuster or Windows Exploer how many title sets does it have? If it’s 99 that’s ARccOS. But DVDfab should rip that OK.

I want to thank all of you for your input. I found a rogue DL disc that I’d forgotten I had. I can just put the entire movie on the DL.:doh: Man,do I feel like a bonehead.:o.

I still am going to check out those two titles I saw when I tried to copy just the main movie and see if they are actually two separate pieces and see if there’s a way to put them together.

Again, thank you for all of your suggestions.

No problem Jim just glad you got sorted.

Why do you need to join the files anyway?

It’s normal for DVDs to have a whole series of files.

[B]Wombler[/B]

HI Wombler,

Let me see if I can clarify this a bit.

When I use DVDFab in Main Movie mode, I get two titles. One is 1:21:14 and the second is 1:20:38. If I preview #1 it has the start of the film at the beginning and the second one will “start” at the middle of the film. Make sense?:confused:

The full movie, without the menus and other extraneous stuff, is well over 2 hours long in itself. So if the movie were originally on a “dual-layer disc” would I not get two separate titles? Hence this would require either putting the movie on a dual layer disc or someway to join the two titles. Which, after I thought about it, would probably be rather stupid anyway. In other words, the dual layer option would be the most logical to start off with, agree? I was just wondering if there were a way to join the two titles together.

Files and titlesets aren’t the same thing.

The DVD-Video specs support up to a maximum of 99 titlesets on any DVD including single layer.

If I read you correctly then I think you’re previewing the titlesets individually as opposed to playing the entire DVD.

DVDFab doesn’t alter any of this by default so if the original has multiple titlesets then so will the backup.

That’s not to say you can’t change this but you’d need to have a specific reason for wanting to do so.

For example when users want to combine multi-disc or flipper movies.

So unless you have a need for this, just go with way it is on the original disc and it will play exactly the same way in your DVD player, software or otherwise.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Gotcha, Wombler!!

Thanks again,my friend.

[QUOTE=jsoulesone;2560788]HI Wombler,

Let me see if I can clarify this a bit.

When I use DVDFab in Main Movie mode, I get two titles. One is 1:21:14 and the second is 1:20:38. If I preview #1 it has the start of the film at the beginning and the second one will “start” at the middle of the film. Make sense?:confused:

The full movie, without the menus and other extraneous stuff, is well over 2 hours long in itself. So if the movie were originally on a “dual-layer disc” would I not get two separate titles? Hence this would require either putting the movie on a dual layer disc or someway to join the two titles. Which, after I thought about it, would probably be rather stupid anyway. In other words, the dual layer option would be the most logical to start off with, agree? [B]I was just wondering if there were a way to join the two titles together[/B].[/QUOTE]

Yes there is :iagree: which I have done several times, I have even joined two movies into one title :bigsmile:

[B]SJ[/B]

Hey SJ,

Thanks for the input. I wish I could figure out how to post a chot of the DVDFab window I get when I do the main movie for “Bridge On The River Kwai”. I also noticed when I watch the movie using my Power DVD, that the counter will reset to 0:00:00 when it reaches the end point of the first title. Never seen that before.

Again, I think I’ll be better off just putting the full movie on a DL since even the main movie is 2 hours 40 minutes +.

I would like to get back to you on how you joined the two titles, SJ.

I’m going to back this up as this movie is one of the classics and I’d be very Pissed if something happened to my commercial copy and I didn’t have a back up.

Thanks again, my friends,

Jim