Join us to fight cancer!

As some of you might know, CD Freaks participates in the Think-project. This project is about fighting cancer, with making use of distributed computing.

If you want to fight cancer (for free ofcourse), we’d like you to join our team “Power of United Burners Against Cancer”.

To join our team, please visit this page, download the client and subscribe!

What the client does? Well, it’s very simple: the client uses all your non-used CPU capacity for this research. Since it’s got the lowest CPU-priority as possible, you won’t notice any change of speed on your system.

If you got any questions, feel free to post 'em here!

and now, please download&subscribe! :wink:

It is similar to RC5 projects, only with this you don’t do it for yourself (you have nothing to gain personally), but you do it for a good cause, the fight against cancer.

well, not much people are interesting… myself included…:o

Originally posted by Totibbs
well, not much people are interesting… myself included…:o

Why, if I may ask?

i participate in seti@home rather then anything else that uses Distrubuted computing.

Sure you can beat cancer, but in doing so there will be a disease to take its place, worse then cancer mostlikely.

While Finding life will have a more profound impact on our society not just affecting people with cancer, but the whole world.

Besides what if we do make contact with aliens ?
im sure wed make more advances with their aid in all feilds of medicine and science rather then just being so narrow like “just” cancer.

Originally posted by Number_17
[B]i participate in seti@home rather then anything else that uses Distrubuted computing.

Sure you can beat cancer, but in doing so there will be a disease to take its place, worse then cancer mostlikely.

While Finding life will have a more profound impact on our society not just affecting people with cancer, but the whole world.

Besides what if we do make contact with aliens ?
im sure wed make more advances with their aid in all feilds of medicine and science rather then just being so narrow like “just” cancer. [/B]

and what if those aliens are bad guys or bring even more diseases… us humans are kinda good too bringing diseases to others as well

And what makes you so sure that the aliens will be smarter than us? Or will have medicines which treat our ails? Or will ever be found?

Spyware

I have been running this software for over a year now. Unfortunately I already have a team…:stuck_out_tongue:

I wish AIDS research funds could be sent to that for Cancer. AIDS is avoidable, and (i’m sure people will be mad at me saying this) AIDS is a self-inflicted death sentence that because of their behavior, it’s victims are fully responsible. Cancer is unlike that.

There is some kind of “oh lets help the AIDS project” attitude like it’s some nobel quest. This is not. Cancer needs to be defeated…All funds should go to cancer research and not but a token amount to AIDS research.

Yes, my views are probably controversial…but I stick by them. I do feel sad for the few innocent victims that are exposed through the reckless behavior of loved ones or accidentally through blood contact or transfusion…but this is the minority of the bunch.

BadASCII

Goodluck.

this looks very similar to http://folding.stanford.edu which uses your spare CPU cycle to fold protiens…

AZN

Well I Guess the people who answered that they didn’t care are I think people who are unware that cancer don’t only happen to people who smoke!!!

Well though my mom use to smoke when she was younger, she was an active woman, who like to garden and get some fresh air, who ate fruits vegetables and other so called healthy food!

Anyway, still she died of a cancer and I have to admit that it is pretty hard for me to see people who are completly uninterested in that disease or any other disease!You know why because this disease could happen to any of us even those who never smoked and always had an healthy life, I am sure that day those people will change their mind but unfortunately it might too late!

Sorry my english but I am really “pissed”(well not really) but I am really sad and I just hope people would care a little be more about others because someday they’ll need to people to care about them

Anyway, I wish peace to all human beings

grymreape

I’d just like to say why the hell not use this program. It is pretty cool. O wait actually it looks like its using 16mb of ram. Not a problem for my 384 but i dont think i’ll be giving it to my friends that only have 64mb of ram shared with a video card.

Well I’ve just joined up. There is no telling when or where cancer will strike. The way I look at it, anyone of us could get it at any time. I know if I was diagnosed, I’d want there to be a cure ready and waiting!

The actual util is pretty cool too!

I’ll bet that a lot of these people would have different opinions if they suddenly found out they have cancer… :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyways… I have no idea what random calculations a computer can do to help find a cure for this, but count me in. I’ll put it on my 5 computers at home if it proves to not tear my performance down.

~Snelda

Hey, if nothing else, its a good burn in util for my new p4 2.53 :smiley:

Have put it back on my computer, didn’t like the fact that it causes too much buffer underruns, lucky I have BURN-Proof. Count me back in. :slight_smile:

I’ll run this, but it will get far from full potential. If they really wanted to get the work done, they would release clients for more than just Win32/intel. Dnet had a multitude of clients for various operating systems and platforms, which let it be run on nearly anything, even DOS and 68k Macs. I have a quad Xeon 500 that could do this pretty fast, but it’s got Linux (cheaper than 4 CPU Windows, or any Windows for that matter). Currently my Linux machines are still doing Dnet, but I changed the preferences so they do work on all the projects. If CDFreaks has a group for a distributed computing project which has a Linux client, please speak up.

Who gives a @#$%.

Actually work is done in the lab, not on geeks’ computers, wasting energy resources away.