Jobs in US entertainment industry on all-time high - piracy?!

vbimport

I just posted the article Jobs in US entertainment industry on all-time high - piracy?!.

The number of jobs in the film and music industry in the United States has increased despite the claimed negative effects of illegal downloads.

Click to read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/jobs-in-us-entertainment-industry-on-all-time-high-piracy-66853/](http://www.myce.com/news/jobs-in-us-entertainment-industry-on-all-time-high-piracy-66853/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

If you think about it. In the pre-dvd era, not too many people had home movie collections. Maybe the odd video tape, but most of the money came from theatres. They had no problem turning out a profit then.

Then came dvd and it really became gravy. Even if DVD/Bluray sales continue to decrease, they’ve still got all the theatre money.

[QUOTE=Zod;2684138]If you think about it. In the pre-dvd era, not too many people had home movie collections. Maybe the odd video tape, but most of the money came from theatres. They had no problem turning out a profit then.

Then came dvd and it really became gravy. Even if DVD/Bluray sales continue to decrease, they’ve still got all the theatre money.[/QUOTE]

Actually, you’d be surprised how many requests I get from people looking for replacement VCR’s because theirs packed it in and they can no longer play the hundreds of tapes they have accumulated over the years.
As for the Studio’s making tons of money from the Theatres, won’t be my money.
Last time I was in a Theatre, Carrie Fischer still had a very cute tush.

Expect by the time summer blockbusters to come around ticket prices will nudge up again! It probably won’t be obscene such as +$5 but you will see an increase in the $1 - $3 range per ticket if it hasn’t already happened. In reality, they are making MORE movies… and as with this JUMP in speculation of “DEMAND” they make a load of CRAP, maybe 3 good movies, if that. The times I’ve gone to the theatre its a boom/bust depending on the movie and other factors like gas prices, weather, advertising hype.

I know there’s a mini war going on with streaming sites… because this is the easier low hanging fruit. It’s hard work to go after torrent sites. Soon it won’t be as easy to shut down streaming sites either.

I had a small VHS collection (20-25 tapes) and when DVD came out I bought all of it again. So they made the money twice from me for the same film. Fool me once…

I won’t buy these on Bluray. I’ll download a “pirated” copy since I already bought these twice. I think they owe me that much.

I disagree and I usually don’t side with the movie companies, but…

They made their profit from you when the made the VHS. The Movie companies do spend a significant amount of resources to rescan/remaster a film for a new/better film technology.

If everyone thought along the same lines as you, the movie companies would have no incentive to keep upgrading their movies to the latest/greatest technology.

It would suck watching VHS on an HDTV :slight_smile:

I can actually agree with you Zod. But there have been alot of DVDs that did a simple transfer from film to dvd without any bells and whistles. Those to me definitely don’t deserve any extra money.

Now if it was remastered and actually looks a helluva lot better, then the extra cost of upgrading may be worth it.

Now there are some DVDs where they were re-released with an extra hour of footage which I find to be ignorant to peeps who are fans and have already bought the original DVD.

THEN…there are the A-holes Like LUCAS who Re-Re-Re-release something. How many time do I have to buy this Freaking movie? He actually owes me gas money for having to drive to the electronics store to buy every new version.

Or… you could NOT buy the same version. Just a thought.

Anyway, I agree about the crappy quality that some old shows/movies have. For Christmas a few years ago, I got A Christmas Story on DVD. I could only stand to watch the first 15 minutes of it before reaching the point where I couldn’t stand looking at those blurry blocks anymore. Seriously I’ve created better looking DVD’s than this! What’s worse is that my grandparents have a “special” DVD edition which actually looks decent! WTF!

yah I agree there. multiple release on the same format is a whole different ballgame.

I suppose if its going to cost them quite alot to restore footage and make an expanded version, its going to need to be financially viable to do so.

On the other hand, if its just tacking on a few minutes, and a few extra special features thats pretty lame.

Look at how many times terminator has been released on dvd/bluray… lol

I noticed some correlation… when gas prices seem to come down, Hollywood seems more amenable to spending more money on making films. Apparently, they seem to think that access to consumer’s disposable incomes are ripe for the picking during these times… and they’re right. BUT, knowing these greedy oil companies they could jack it up at any time sending the industry into another tailspin even with many projects projected 2+ years into the future.

I still argue that every DVD and VHS purchaser is a closet-collector. No one buys these to throw away. And every collection starts by buying one.

I look at the huge number of new DVD titles being put out every month by the MOD makers - Warners Archive, Univ Vault, MGM Vault, TCM Vault, Olive, etc. Of course, even this variety isn’t putting out 200-new-titles a month, and in 2002-2008, we were buying 200 titles a month - sometimes twice that many.

Retailers have said DVD sales plummeted but never heard consumers such as the above posts - “I don’t want to keep buying reissued titles”, and for the last 5 years of commercial DVDs, it seems like a third were ReIssues. Gee - no wonder consumers refuse to buy.

Yet all those MOD makers are churning out classic titles right and left. Gee - they DID measure THEIR marketplace correctly. Too bad their prices are extravagant - I think they’d sell four or five times more if they were half-priced.