JLMS XJ-HD166S not reading CD/DVD

vbimport

I have recently put this JLMS XJ-HD166S DVD-Rom drive into a new computer. I previously had it in a machine running windows XP, but I have 2000 on the new computer. I have unplugged the drive, used a different IDE cable, updated the D166SDS1E file (driver), uninstalled the drive and let windows re-install it, checked the BIos (it is the master even though I set the drive on CS and I have a CDR that is the slave). The drive says “Insert disk into drive ___”. The drive was previously working on windows XP, but with 2000 it isn’t. I haven’t found any info on the web that would indicate that it should have a problem with 2000. I would like any suggestions because I won’t recieve my new XP copy for a few weeks and need files off of DVD’s.

Hi, I have the same problem with two “short” 166s drives. in google enter: xj-hd166s windows 2000
there is a Firmware DUS2 http://www-306.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-61416
released 2005-09-22
It creates a DOS floppy boot disk then.
Desc.: Firmware update to fix problem where drive sometimes does not recognize DVD-R or DVD+R bootable media