Jitter errors when ripping CDs via XLD?

vbimport

I just recently picked up a new set of Bose speakers for my desktop and have started reripping the discographies of my favorite artists to .FLAC via X Lossless Decoder for Mac using an Optiarc DVD RW AD-5630A drive.

However, while the final statement from the log of the process is that ‘No Errors Occurred’ I am still seeing occasional, minor jitter errors in the logs for individual tracks (the error values are always less than 10, generally closer to 1 and are categorized as Edge Jitter Errors, Atom Jitter Errors and such, often with ‘Maybe fixed’ listed adjacent to the error). Are these errors cause for concern or is the ripper’s final assessment that ‘No Errors Occurred’ valid?

All of the albums being ripped are in pristine condition, so that shouldn’t be an issue.

I’d happily post the contents of a log file as well if it’s necessary. I would hugely appreciate any help you can offer!

(Also, my apologies if this is in the wrong forum subsection as I haven’t posted here before)

Welcome to CDFreaks. I want to try to address some of the points you bring up in your post.

All clocks used in digital recording have a error tolerance that they work with in. Hence, in all digital recordings there is some degree of jitter. Jitter is the difference between when the clock signals that a sample of the waveform be taken and when the sample is actually taken. This is referred to the timing window. As no clock can be perfect, the samples can be taken a little ahead or behind the precise time. Jitter can manifest itself as variations in clock edges (white phase), clock pulse width (white FM jitter), or other events (correlated jitter). Jitter, at a high enough lever can cause errors in the bitstream. Severe jitter correlated to the bitstream can cause distortion in the audio. However, when the log file reports that “No Errors Occurred” it is referring to the fact that during the audio extraction no uncorrectable errors in the bitstream occurred.

Hope this helps.