Jerky video with ps3 mobile

im not sure what is happening. since the change to 23.97fps, things were alot better, but now im getting alot of jerky video with certain dvd’s. when i play the vob on my computer, it runs smoothly. when i play the converted file on my pc or go through tversity, its jerky. sometimes really jerky and sometimes it seems like my eyes are playing tricks on me. (sorry thats the best way i can describe it)

i use tversity to stream to ps3 and settings are.

rip dvd to hdd
ps3 default (ive tried all 3)
1500 bitrate
resolution (whatever dvdfab chooses. sometimes i up it to 700x400)
23.97fps (and yes ive tried the other ones)
1 pass and 2 pass

here are just a few problem dvd’s:

10.5 (earthquake movie made for tv)
entourage seasons 2, 3, 4
corner gas all seasons

most of the video i convert is fine. its funny though, when i use 4.1.2.0 on these problem dvd’s, it corrects the problem by about 90%, but when i use 5.1.1.0 and use the exact same settings, the video is jerky.

anyone have any ideas? can anyone else try and duplicate the problem please? i have tried converting it twice in a row with a full computer reboot in between each one and it still occurs.

i have a very fast pc so i know thats not the problem. im stumped

Have you tried 29.97fps? Looks like many of the ones you had problems with were not shot on film.

yes i have. i dont know anything about the fps for each movie so when it doesnt turn out i try the others.

I’m not sure about the others, but 10.5 (earthquake) is a 29.97fps Interlaced DVD (in region 1 at least). What is the MediaInfo text output for the generated file?

sorry not sure what info you need. are you asking what the final conversion info is?

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaInfo

Open the DVDFab created file in MediaInfo and select text output. Reply here with the output in [ CODE ] [ /CODE ] tags (without the spaces).

hopefully i did this right.

General
Complete name : E:\MOVIES\10.5.mp4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media
Codec ID : isom
File size : 1.85 GiB
Duration : 2h 41mn
Overall bit rate : 1 644 Kbps
Movie name : 10.5
Album : 10.5
Performer : John Lafia
Screenplay by : John Lafia
Genre : Drama
Encoded date : 2004
Tagged date : UTC 2008-11-14 08:49:29
Writing application : Lavf52.17.0
Cover : Yes
Video
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : Baseline@L3.0
Format settings, CABAC : No
Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 1 512 Kbps
Width : 640 pixels
Height : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4/3
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Resolution : 24 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.205
Stream size : 1.70 GiB (92%)
Encoded date : UTC 2006-03-01 22:56:37
Tagged date : UTC 2006-03-01 22:56:37
Audio
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format version : Version 4
Format profile : LC
Format settings, SBR : No
Codec ID : 40
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 128 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Resolution : 16 bits
Stream size : 147 MiB (8%)
Encoded date : UTC 2006-03-01 22:56:37
Tagged date : UTC 2008-11-14 08:49:29

This should be 29.97 fps or else you will get poor results.

i tried 29.97 also as i stated in my op. if it doesnt work on 23.97, i then use 29.97. and if that doesnt work, i try a couple others. none worked so thats why i asked for help.

i just finished a 30fps and it is much smoother now. im going to try that with the other problem dvd’s now. i was sure i tried all but i guess i didnt seeing as 30 fps worked.

also, how did you come to that conclusion? is it easy to explain or would it be something way over my head?

i would love to know what fps to use before i start converting. it would make life much easier.

as always, thank you so much for the help. this is why i love this product so much.

Yes, but did you look at the MediaInfo output for a file where 29.97 fps was selected? A while back DVDFab added 23.976 fps detelecine that automagically kicks in “when needed”. If you select 29.97 and DVDFab isn’t respecting your wishes then that explains the problem.

are you telling me i should always have it on 29.97 and dvd fab will auto change to 23.97 when needed?

Supposedly, if you leave the setting on auto then DVDFab will automatically change to 23.976 when the content is 23.976 content telecined to 29.97 (e.g. film on a region 1 DVD).

sorry i’m a little confused. i read this as meaning i needed to reset my default setting to 23.97 fps and not 29.97.

New: Select framerate 23.976 fps automatically if IVTC can be applied to avoid jerky playback on devices like iPod, Zone, PS3 and Xbox 360. (DVDFab Mobile Option)
Please note: if you have set the default profile for iPod, Zone, PS3 and Xbox 360, you need change the framerate to 23.976 fps and set default profile again.
am i supposed to reset my default to 29.97 then?

i apologize for my confusion.

Others can advise you on the default you should use. In trying to troubleshoot the problem I’d like you to specifically select 29.97 and see what the MediaInfo output says.